Bye bye Scamp...Hello 48!!!

General Discussion

1. JR

JR Pissed off senior member.

Local Time:
    11:48 AM
    About a week ago I was looking at craigslist and came across a 48 chevy forsale or trade. I scrolled down to the pics and thought "NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!" Gary (Redscampi) was looking for another A-body to play with. It is no big suprise that I have been burnned out on working on Nikkis 72 scamp due to the fact that I never post anything new on the resto thread... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=18311

So after talking to Nikki (it was her car) I sent Gary a pm and about a week later he has another 72 scamp along with a 400/727 combo and Nikki has a 48 chevy. The plans for the 48 are to pull out the 350/350 and replace it with the 225 that was in the Scamp after I drop in a bigger cam and get the head milled a little bit, Nikki wants a "rat rod" so it is going flat black for now and she is going to pinstripe it here and there.
    I am happy because as much as I love A-bodies (Yes , Im keeping my 73 Dart) when you build a 72 Scamp your kinda stuck building a 72 Scamp and lets face it a Merc grill shell and 59 Caddy tail lights just wouldn't look right in a 72 Scamp. I used to work in a rod shop and grew up working on old stuff (first car was a 27 T 2 door sedan when I was around 5 years old) so I like to cut, weld and build "Frankencars"!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Me and Nikki pulled the front end off lastnite and Im going to pull the 350/350 this weekend and do some mock up for the new motor mounts on the 225
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the end I made a new friend and everyone involved is a happy camper! :toothy10:

And yes the 48 chevy is getting the T/A Challenger exhaust tips MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

2. 73dodgeman

73dodgeman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:48 PM
    thats a sweet ride, keep the updated pics comming!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Longgone

Longgone John/68 Barracuda & Dart

Local Time:
    2:48 PM
    Well the girl should be all smiles behind the wheel of that one!

4. 1969340dart

1969340dart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Are you going to install a slant six engine in it! Of course you can do whatever because it is your car but I think It would be worth more $ when completed with the smallblock chevy engine in there! Going to be a neat looking ride anyways,I love the FAT FENDERED CARS!

5. MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    dude that car is rad

6. ramcharger

ramcharger Dismember

Local Time:
    12:48 PM
  7. mullinax95

mullinax95 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Slant six in that?

You might need to cut back on the waffle burgers!

8. RedScampi

RedScampi Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hey J.R., I thought you'd never start this thread! :icon_smi: Needless to say I am just as happy as J.R. is with this trade. I too was burnt out on the 48 after 4 years and I don't think I had touched it in more than a year. I am ecstatic with "Scampette" and I am really amazed by the level of detail and craftsmanship that has gone into this car. It will be a pleasure to work on. I will be taking it in a slightly different direction :wink: As J.R. said I will be installing the 400/727 combo because I always wanted a big block because it's cool and besides the other car already has a nice 360 in it. I'll be needing an 8 3/4 rear and I'm going to use a Schumacher conversion kit on the front. The car already has K-H front disks. Speaking of the other car - The night I brought home Scampette I tucked RedScampi in next to her and went upstairs. Just around the time i went to sleep I began to notice an annoying sound but it took my wife shaking me and telling me that there was a horn going off in the garage to wake me up completely. I went down to the garage where the horn on RedScampi was blaring VERY loudly. I popped the hood and disconnected the horns (ears ringing in the immediate silence) then went to look at the horn button. As I suspected the #$%!@$@ Grant designed friction installed button had popped off under pressure from the spring. As I went back to bed i started speculating that RedScampi was jealous of his new stablemate. JR said that he thought perhaps it was that Scampette had found a new boyfriend. At any rate I didn't sleep much that night - way too excited. Note: This story is fictional, I'm not normally one to name my cars or assign human attributes to them, but this situation needed explaining. Here are a few pictures after the car got home for your enjoyment. For now I'm happily sorting through the seemingly thousands of parts that JR gave me along with the car. I can't wait to get to the fun stuff!

mini-P1000682.JPG

mini-P1000684.JPG

mini-P1000729.JPG

mini-P1000761.JPG

mini-P1000765.JPG

9. ramcharger

ramcharger Dismember

Local Time:
    hate those Grant horn buttons! I think you all got exactly what you wanted and that is very cool! 8)

May I suggest a 440 crank in that 400? An extra 51 cubes. The 400 is great choice as long as the block checks out.

10. spikekid999

spikekid999 MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!

Local Time:
    very sweet.i like the lil car on the dash!

now you gotta updat the pic of the dart in your sig

11. memike

memike Super Moderator Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
  12. moparkid340

moparkid340 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    wait u tradid ur mopar for a chevy? am i missing somethin here. i need to reread this

13. spikekid999

Local Time:
    thats what i thought but i got a soft spot for the ol bombas

14. JR

Local Time:
    Yup I sure did!
    I have a weird habbit of bastardizing my cars like my 53 Mercury pick up with the F-body front suspension and 8 3/4 rear is getting the T-rammed 360...

This...
    [​IMG]

Is getting this...
    [​IMG]

along with a 52 Packard grill, 64ish Lincolin electric bench seat, and a 518 OD tranny.

The 48 Chevy will be Nikkis daily driver so she wont need to go super fast, it's not getting raced or anything it will just be a nice driver and seeing as how I like to screw with people, Im friggin tired of seeing small block chevs in everything, I love mopars, because I have a cutting torch and a welder and because I can it will be getting the slant as soon as I throw in a bigger cam and mill the head.

It already has the headers, 4bbl intake and the holley 390 electric choke and quick change secondaries. the new oil pump and gasket kit are on the way right now.

As for resale value. I know that damn near everything is worth more with a good ol dime a dozen 350/350 (I co own an auto appraisal company) but Nikki and I don't want a 350/350 in her chevy so that will be the problem of the next guy that gets it. Besides if you are at a carshow and you walk by and see a built slant six in a 48 chev you are ganna stop and look at it. :toothy10:
    the 350/350 may find it's way into a 64 Impala SS if my buddy ever decides to work on the thing.

15. MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    hey 360 scamp, my dad actually has a 48 plymouth special deluxe, its a 4 door with the suicide doors, thought u might enjoy a couple of fotos of it so here they are

[​IMG]

16. spikekid999

Local Time:
    thats a nice plymouth he has there mikey. i would love to find a 40s dodge/plymouth

17. JR

Local Time:
    Sweet, here are some pics of my dads 50 dodge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ramcharger

ramcharger Dismember

Local Time:
    Well sh!t. If you learned from your old man, you've got to be good, lol! Do it your way which you'll do anyway.

Bend it, heat it, stretch it, compress it. Just make it your vision.

19. jjr426

jjr426 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Well JR I'm glad you and nikki found her something she wanted and your happy with the trade but i gotta say trading a mopar for a chevy i'm ashamed of you :-D:-D:-D:-D and i can no longer think of eating an eggo burger ever again. :toothy10::toothy10: Seriously though at least you didnt trade for a honda and that chevy looks like a fun project and i agree with you i love the slant idea it will be bad a$$. Just finish that one ok. Good Luck with it Justin

20. JR

Local Time:
    I don't have a choice unless we trade it for a 49-50 Buick I have to finish this one, Nikki will kick my ass if I don't. Besides she gets to help work on this one.

Out with the old and tomorrow is in with the new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. memike

memike Super Moderator Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    You are way cool 360scamp!! :cheers:and looks like you have got allot dun.
    Keep us posted , the / looks great:happy10:

22. jamesdart

jamesdart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    very cool car, scamp is cool too, that 50 dodge is awsome. i really hate small block chevies, but i have to say swaping that out for a slant would probably be the last thing on my list.

23. moparkid340

moparkid340 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    heres the bomb i just sold

Picture 044.jpg

24. JR

Local Time:
    I thought you just got that one like a month ago?

25. Pine Tree Mopar

Pine Tree Mopar Mopar Maine-iac

Local Time:
    Not mine, but for sale here in Maine if anyones interested. Tim.

50 Dodge rare 3 window buss. coupe. 6cyl. 3 spd., fluid drive. Very solid rare 1 seater coupe. This is the one to restore or streetrod. Trade for your old classic car, OBO. Sanford, ME

Call 207-205-0271

1950 plymouth business coupe (Small).jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.