Bypassing neutral safety switch - 65 Valiant

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
How do you bypass the neutral safety switch on a 65 Valiant? I don't care if the car starts in gear or not for now, I just need my reverse lights to work. Or would this particular switch not have anything to do with no reverse lights? Anyone?
It's the single prong unit like this..

large_2838_12410r.jpg

Mike...is the car column shift? If so, I think the rev. light switch is at the bottom of the column. That pic IS the neut. start....nothing to do w/rev lights.

Actually, do you have a switch like this on the trans....

Attachments

• 65valswitch.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 484
the older neutral safety switches have nothing to do with reverse. All transmission mount nss/ reverse switches have THREE terminals.

Your reverse switch is somewhere up in the "linkage."

65Val, the switch is like the one I pictured, with a single wire leaving it and going to my starter relay.

67Dart273, is the switch in the engine bay then? Not inside the car?

It will probably be the same as our Aussie valiants. It is on the lower end of the steering column ( inside the car). It is a metal canister with a plastic dickie switch and a wire spring inside. Open the driver's door and lay down on the floor on your side and look at your lower steering column. You will see your brake light switch and the reverse light switch. Post again if you have trouble.

If it's the single wire on the transmission like my 66 all you need to do is ground the end that connects to the switch at the transmission. It may be easier to just ground it at the start relay where it goes to the transmission.

wouldn't it be easier to just use a small jumper wire grounded to the firewall and attach it to the ignition relay where the NSS wire goes on?

-
Back