CA black plates....just picked up a car....

-

3rdLM23P9

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
....and got CA black plates with it. What is the significance of those? Help educate an Ohio guy!!!

....and got CA black plates with it. What is the significance of those? Help educate an Ohio guy!!!
They were used from 63 to around 69 or 70. You can call Ca. DMV @916 657-8035. If these plates have been out of circulation and are not current, you can sell them.

People like them they are collectable. I had them on my dart original to the car when my grandma got them in 63. I moved out of state and had to put a crappy white and blue antique plate on it.When i restore the car i plan on keeping them for car shows.

And make sure they are original. They are remaking them with the same 63 mark in the upper right hand corner but smaller font for the numbers and letters themselves. Also they are usually 3 letters a space and 3 numbers.

Black plates are used on 1969-63 registered cars out here in this state.
Some early registered 1970 cars could have gotten the plates too, during the calendar year 1969.

Black personalized licence plates can now be special ordered from the state,naturally at high $$$$$$.

And make sure they are original. They are remaking them with the same 63 mark in the upper right hand corner but smaller font for the numbers and letters themselves. Also they are usually 3 letters a space and 3 numbers.
Yes that's true, but the "NEW" plates cannot be ordered with the old letters and numbers sequence.
AAA 000 ZZZ 999 letter & number

Last edited:
They can in custom form but there is no space so FGH 789 comes out FGH789. You may possibly order custom plates in the same (out of circulation) digits and run the old ones with the new tags. I doubt there would be any way to distinguish the 2 when Smokie runs your plate. It was a big deal for a while here but it has died down with the introduction of black plates again.

California plates ain't gonna do you any good in Ohio, when it comes time for you to register the car, in your state.
As pishta said, put em on ebay, and see if any wacko Californian want's to buy them.
They do go for good money, to the selective buyer.

Speaking as one wacko California car guy- yes your old plates have some value here. At the larger car shows there will always be 2-3 venders selling plates and stickers and they will have boxes and boxes of them. So, they are not exactly rare. The going price depends on condition and whether they have been "cleared" by DMV or not. Clearing means that someone has taken the time to go down to DMV to check their computer to see if that number is available for re-issue. The chances are not good because they are now re-issueing black plates. People will not spend much money on non-cleared plates because they are taking a chance on whether or not DMV will OK it. The laws regarding this stuff is constantly changing and my experiences are within the last two months. California is a very unfriendly place to do business with when it comes to old cars. If you had a pair of California black plates that are in very good condition and have been "cleared", then they may be worth $200. If not, then maybe $20-30. If you see a car with restored plates out here, you can be assured that he has gone to a lot of trouble and expense. You should consider just hanging them in the garage. Welcome to California.

Mine are reissue and custom

image000001-2.jpg

Jeff

Thanks to all.....the car is a 69 Dart, last registered in CA in 2010. Are these likely the ones issued by CA in 69, and have stayed with the car since? If so, that seems cool!

Thanks to all.....the car is a 69 Dart, last registered in CA in 2010. Are these likely the ones issued by CA in 69, and have stayed with the car since? If so, that seems cool!
What is the first letter? Should be a Y or Z if original issue. I would keep them with the car.

did they still have the year stamped in the upper sticker bay?

First letter is Y.

Sound like the plates the car was originally born/issued with.

Born with the car = stays with the car.

Will help sell the car if you decide to. It helps validate the car was from California and was probably registered and/or kept together most of not all its life.

Do you have an old registration slip from California with the plate number on it? If so, KEEP IT.

The numbers correct black and yellow plate does not 100% prove anything. But it, WITH the car itself, picture history, docs, etc... ALLTOGHTER makes the case to ligitimize the car.

Sound like the plates the car was originally born/issued with.

Born with the car = stays with the car.

Will help sell the car if you decide to. It helps validate the car was from California and was probably registered and/or kept together most of not all its life.

Do you have an old registration slip from California with the plate number on it? If so, KEEP IT.

The numbers correct black and yellow plate does not 100% prove anything. But it, WITH the car itself, picture history, docs, etc... ALLTOGHTER makes the case to ligitimize the car.

Great - thanks for the info. I definitely plan to keep plates with the car. I do have a small amount of documentation (copy of older title that lists the black plate number), not sure about registration - will dig around inside the car.

At one time having black plates on a California car indicated the car was originally a California car, some people seam to think that is important.

Now (from about 2008) you can have old black plates assigned to a car (63-69) that never had them so having the plates no longer is an indication the car is an original California car.

Always it was possible to have a car not from California have black plates on it if it was brought into the state between 63 and 69.

I think a lot of the mystique just comes from the car culture, it is a cool looking plate that was on cars at a great time in automotive history. California has always been at the center of all things automotive.

Alan

Yes that's true, but the "NEW" plates cannot be ordered with the old letters and numbers sequence.

I just checked the California DMV website and it didn't send up any red flag notice when I checked the availability of my old long-out-of-the-computer license number from the '69 Dart I sold over twenty years ago (and still wish I'd kept). It looks like I could re-order the original plate number for my current '69 Dart project.

-
Back