Cabinet/Shelving Ideas

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Now that my building is up I need some ideas for cabinets and shelving. Given the limited dimensions I have to work with I want to maximize working floor space. I'm open to suggestions

Building interior1.jpg

Building interior2.jpg

Building interior3.jpg

Saw an idea for hanging cabinets somewhere. Could hang them off the beams, just gotta be careful to not put too much stuff in them. What is mainly going to be on the shelves?

When I built my shop 16yrs ago. I went to Home Depot and bought these (you build Cabinets).. Still holding up pretty good...
WIN_20150225_172720.JPG
WIN_20150225_172804.JPG
WIN_20150225_172855.JPG
WIN_20150225_172915.JPG

If you have a re-store nearby see if you can get some kitchen cabinets
That will allow work space underneath and storage above the workspace

Make a friend with a remodeler, they are always getting rid of kitchen cabinets. Volunteer to help remove them and most likely will be free. Base cabinets also make a great budget workbench. There isn't much that can hurt used formica haha.

Open shelves get dusty/dirty quick.
Maybe something with doors.
My next shop Im thinking of running cheap sliding closet doors

Open shelves get dusty/dirty quick.
Maybe something with doors.
My next shop Im thinking of running cheap sliding closet doors

Yes they do, but on the plus side, if you get into the habit of dusting every once in a while, you can toss or sell what has been sitting there too long. I'm so working on this now.

You can usually pick up some industrial shelving pretty cheap from warehouses that have closed down. Just don't go real deep, most of them will be 18 inches by 36 inches or 24 by 36. I've noticed if they get deeper than 24 inches they have a tendancy to lose a lot of stuff in the back. They are free standing but you can run an occasional screw through your purlins to keep them standing. Easy to set up also.

You could run horizontal 2x4 from stud to stud. Then mount used kitchen cabinets to that. I mounted mine high enough that.I won'thit my head on them. I use a small step stool. The cabinets over the work bench are not as high, since the bench keeps me far enough away,so I don't hit my head. These are.also the ones I keep stuff I use constantly, like carb cleaner, wd40 etc.

-
Back