Cable type gas pedal for early A

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put a cable type gas pedal assy. in a 62 Lancer? If so what did you use? I have a setup from a 72 Dart which doesn't leave the pedal in the right place.

I put this one in my 64 barracuda and it looks nice and works out very well.
I just used a piece of 1 and 1/2 inch square tubing to help position where I want.

Screenshot_20191013-090150.jpg

If you use the factory stuff I think one like that used on the 64-66 Barracudas and Darts would fit the firewall better.

Back in the early to mid 70s,I put a cable pedal on my 65 Valiant when I put a 340 in it. I don't recall what I used but I was just a 20ish yr old kid with no resources, so it must not have been too complicated. I remember well taking off the slanty stuff, but nada on the cable stuff. I'll guess something off a Demon or Duster.
If the pedal doesn't sit right, maybe you can bend the arm. Take the plastic off, and use a lil heat and voila. Three of my most-used tools are my hammer and my vise and my torch. I use them on everything lol.

The 65 is a floating pedal pushing on an arm. If you need the real stuff, look for an A/C equipped car as they had cable throttles, not the knuckle shaft contraption. If your hard up for a runner in a hurry you could use a Ford ie. pinto or maverick mustang 2 pedal as its just a 2 bolts at the pivot and a little fork at the end that captures the cable ferrule.

Thanks for the rep!ies. I think the 72 pedal will work. But I will probably have to bend the rod some.

I just put a pedal from a '69 Dart into my '65 Valiant 318 4 speed. I moved the pedal over to the left about 2" because the original position had the pedal hitting the 4 speed hump. Pretty simple, I had to drill a new 1" hole in the firewall for the cable to go through, and 2 holes for the mounting bolts. I bent the rod the pedal attaches to slightly for more throttle.
You can just see it there behind the brake pedal.
20191012_181600.jpg

I just put a pedal from a '69 Dart into my '65 Valiant 318 4 speed. I moved the pedal over to the left about 2" because the original position had the pedal hitting the 4 speed hump. Pretty simple, I had to drill a new 1" hole in the firewall for the cable to go through, and 2 holes for the mounting bolts. I bent the rod the pedal attaches to slightly for more throttle.
You can just see it there behind the brake pedal.View attachment 1715410654
Thanks for the pic! It looks like mine needs to move to the right a little but the tunnel is right there. So I think I will have to bend the arm to get it right and bend it up to get more throttle.

I had a 72 pedal, and I heard the earlier late 60's pedal would fit so I bought one. Turns out they are exactly the same except for the pedal it's longer on the older one . I may Get the 65-66 v8 one to complete my collection. The pedal to the edge of the pic is a 64 olds....

IMG_20191030_174646612.jpg

IMG_20191030_174507351.jpg

IMG_20191030_174535985.jpg

-
Back