Cal tracs installation set up etc..

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents
I'm sure I'm going to get some of the better info here than anywhere else.
Cal tracs, after they are installed what is the proper way to adjust them?

Do you feel they need to be on mono leafs to be effective or do the stock leafs do the job.(lags are in new condition)

Thanks in advance?
MAPS

mono leaf & the complete setup, ask to john he knows his **** & is a Big mopar guy, Proper way to adjust them is to hit the track ! how much power is the car making?

Who is John,
Thanks for the info...

Not much, about 400 (but has another 125-150 on juice)
It's rear are 4.10 gears in the 489 case. 4 speed car.
Makes sense on the track but I was asking if we play with it at the shop what would be the best way to go at it.

Thanks

This thread is pretty famous, the first post has the info, some guy made a table of it later in the thread:
caltrac setup
I have similar power and have mine set in the bottom hole with the bar just touching. But I have an auto. Set the bars with you in it and loaded how it would be at the track. Also, I have the -1 (minus 1" ride height) mono leafs with 2 degree shims. It dead hooks with the 275/60 MT drag radials. Good luck!

Who is John,
Thanks for the info...

Makes sense on the track but I was asking if we play with it at the shop what would be the best way to go at it.

Thanks

I think he means John Calvert. He may be a Chrylser guy but I thought he was a ford guy. I could be wrong on that though.

The instructions that came with mine said for initial setup, adjust so there is about 1/8 inch space between the upper spring face and the CalTrac, then adjust from there as you run it.

I downloaded the Caltrac instructions (dated 2019) from the Calvert website, and it says to start with both sides at 1/4 turn preload... ?

Just wondering what I should set mine to with 295-50 street radials and the 9-way adjustable shocks? (Leaf springs, not mono).

I downloaded the Caltrac instructions (dated 2019) from the Calvert website, and it says to start with both sides at 1/4 turn preload... ?

Just wondering what I should set mine to with 295-50 street radials and the 9-way adjustable shocks? (Leaf springs, not mono).
That's strange. Mine definitely said 1/8 clearance. And mine is 2019 version, too.

Thanks, that's a useful thread. Although everybody's "settings that worked" are completely different ;) Guess I (and the OP) will just try it and see!

Who is John,
Thanks for the info...

Thanks
john works at Caltracs,

Yes John Calvert is a ford guy & the owner, but good luck getting a hold of him he always at the track, where I mostly see him, & a Very cool guy I mite add, but the other John who answers the phone is a very Knowledgeable dude and a big Mopar guy, he worked with Calvert in his house garage before Calvert was even a thing.

Yes John Calvert is a ford guy & the owner, but good luck getting a hold of him he always at the track, where I mostly see him, & a Very cool guy I mite add, but the other John who answers the phone is a very Knowledgeable dude and a big Mopar guy, he worked with Calvert in his house garage before Calvert was even a thing.

Ahhhhhh. Didn't know there was a second John (sounds like a scene from a crime movie..."so...there are two John's").

I think that was funny, but maybe no.

Thanks to all of you for your info and comedy (Yellow R...)
I just hope I don't make a joke out of me in the end with the Caltracs and the mono leafs....

Only time will tell.... April is not far away.

MAPS

yes he did, , at winters one year, won stock with his bars, car left on back bumper, rest is history,

-
Back