California DMV ripped me out of my parts.

-

grimreaper

Cross Member
Reaction score
Two years ago a friend of mine in California was at a show and shine with his 71 Challenger when a non-resident, unlicensed, uninsured driver lost control and hit three cars at the show., including his. He found a wrecked 71 in North Dakota near where he grew up, bought it, and hauled it to CA. He removed the parts required to fix his car and has been selling a few parts from the remainder since his was fixed. He recently sold a part to someone in Wyoming and that reminded him to contact me about a sway bar and related parts he removed from a 66 Dart years ago to make a drag car. He was going to give them to me if I paid shipping. The plan was that he would take them to Fed Ex next Friday and ship them and let me know the cost. Someone recently turned him in to the California DMV for dismantling a car without a license, probably based on a few items he listed for sale in various places. The cops showed up at his place Monday and confiscated the Challenger he was parting, even though he had the title, and all of the parts for the 66 Dart he had left, including the sway bar. They turned it all over to a licensed dismanteler. He called to tell me the bad news on the sway bar tonight. He now has to pay a fine and appear before a judge for dismantling a car he owned.
Gotta love the laws in California......

That's what he thinks. Maybe even the ones the cops sent the parts with.

Last edited:
Well the more we stay "sat down" over this kinda stuff, the more it will keep happenin.

My uncle moved to Bellflower California back when I was a child, I was always fascinated by his stories and the car culture there, I always dreamed of moving out there, then in the early 80's he decided it was just too much and relocated to Idaho. I sure am glad I didn't end up out there!

Its almost like its there new plan to get our type of people out and old cars off to the crusher. ******* pricks

That's total BS in my book, I've parted out countless cars in Texas & never had a problem. Hopefully when he appears before the judge & explains himself that they will let him off with a warning.

Something else is going on here. You don’t need a license to dismantle a vehicle, but...you need the title to be in your name, the plates, and all DMV fees up to date and paid. As for selling the parts, that’s a whole other story, seller’s permit, maybe a business license, and whatever else the State AND County or City requires. Maybe he was dismantling a lot of vehicles, business style. Code Enforcement is on a terror in Southern California. They’re going deep into the codes and writing people up, left and right, for all sorts of things. It’s all about the $’s.

Only in Kalifornia man, only in Kalifornia.

You wait ten more years. I've always said fads, new laws and such start in Commifornica and usually take "about a decade" to reach the east coast.

Something else is going on here. You don’t need a license to dismantle a vehicle, but...you need the title to be in your name, the plates, and all DMV fees up to date and paid. As for selling the parts, that’s a whole other story, seller’s permit, maybe a business license, and whatever else the State AND County or City requires. Maybe he was dismantling a lot of vehicles, business style. Code Enforcement is on a terror in Southern California. They’re going deep into the codes and writing people up, left and right, for all sorts of things. It’s all about the $’s.
He told me he was cited for dismantling without a license, nothing else. He was only parting one car, the Challenger. The parts from the 66 had been removed years ago. The title was in his name, which he provided for law enforcement but it made no difference. We'll see how things turn out if/when he sees a judge.
So would someone from California need a sellers permit, business license etc to list something on the For Sale forum here?

Last edited:
I dont understand, how can they take his car? It's his, he owns it, isn't that theft?

I can see they giving a fine but they shouldn't be able to take the car?

Detail

All i can say is WOW. But you all in CA keep voting these boneheads in. One of many reasions I left CA

Totally agree, something else is going on here. If anyone bothered to look, here’s a relevant exception from having a dismantlers license

Straight from the DMV-

Automobile Dismantler Exclusions

The term "automobile dismantler" does not include any of the following:
  • Any person engaged in the restoration of vehicles of the type described in Vehicle Code Section 5004 or in the restoration of other vehicles having historic or classic significance.

There’s a bunch of exceptions, that’s just the most relevant. My guess is his buddy pissed somebody off and got reported. Maybe his neighbor knows a city official, law enforcement, etc.

It’s true, the law regarding vehicle dismantling has been tightened recently. But classics were exempted, like they usually are here in California. Of course that won’t stop a bunch of people that don’t live here, don’t know the actual laws, and don’t have the whole story from talking crap about something they don’t understand.

That is why he has to see a judge. To get a ruling on the property. He has to pay a fine though for sure. He thinks there is almost no hope for return of the car and parts.
Yes, he thinks he stepped on someone's toes by selling "valuable" E body parts and they turned him in.

If ever questioned on that, you are taking it to the shell to "restore" it. :)

Know the exemptions!

Yes there is a law in CA about dismantling cars on private property. It's sugar coated as a protection for the people and environment in the state. I've taken countless cars to the bones and never actively let oil and other fluids drain to the dirt. Someone got in the pocket of legislators and got it through.

I guess I shouldn't discount a neighbor or a real estate agent for a neighbor who's trying to sell a house in the neighborhood, and are afraid some old cars are making their house hard to sell, or keep them from getting top dollar for their property.

I guess I shouldn't discount a neighbor or a real estate agent for a neighbor who's trying to sell a house in the neighborhood, and are afraid some old cars are making their house hard to sell, or keep them from getting top dollar for their property.

Exactly. Or the home owners association depending on where he’s at. Those HOA types are insane.

That is why he has to see a judge. To get a ruling on the property. He has to pay a fine though for sure. He thinks there is almost no hope for return of the car and parts.
Yes, he thinks he stepped on someone's toes by selling "valuable" E body parts and they turned him in.
Any resto shops near to him?
I read the law...
Finally in the last bit it cut to the chase..billions of tax dollars lost to private parts sellers .

Last edited:
IMOP it doesn't matter unless the guy is running a chop shop or selling stolen goods he should be left alone period. All these rules and regulations are just more government intervention. If its a HOA thing then bad on him HOA people sign paperwork therefore know what there getting into so i don't feel bad for them. If its just somebody bitching about there property value well too dam bad, they built a dairy factory a mile away from my land and it lowered my property value, ya I'm pissed about it but that's life and i deal with it. Its supposed to be a free country

-
Back