California Flash

-

HemiDenny

HDK Suspension
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
working with Butch to build a street Duster for Butch and his grandson. Plans are to ghost his 71 /72 Pro Stock scheme on it .
20200314_101532.jpg

Wow Denny, that will be so cool! Can't wait to follow your progress.

Arizona car w/ factory air and thick A/C radiator, 88K, like brand new (no rust) except where the taillight leaked water into the spare tire well and left some rot. I will replace the bottom of the well. I've known the car for quite a while, like a lot of projects, just sat 90% done. Butch and I are naturally gonna change it up a tad from what the old owner had in mind.

Brother John and I picked it up last Saturday...in my spare time I stripped the interior and the drive line out. I like working from a clean slate.

20200404_152027.jpg
20200404_152045 (1).jpg

20200404_152129.jpg

20200404_152120.jpg

20200404_152323 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have this lil 408 under the work bench....should fit right in.

20200313_145053.jpg

how do you guys like my wall art?. Those doors are off Art Ludwigs / Butch Leal 73 Pro Stock Duster clone. The doors are steel and he changed to fiberglass....they even have the Cuda door handle cut out just like Butch's Pro Stocker had. Saw them on E-pay and had to have em. The hood came on the 75 California Flash / Direct Connection B/MP Duster my brother and I now own.....was up for sale, but got tied of getting shipping quotes then being offered $100 for it. It is worth way more than that to me hanging on my wall.....right up there with a set of seat belts out of the Mopar Missile.

That will be a nice "Street Flash"! If the same guy that painted the real Flash does this one, it will be very nice. The ghosting scheme will be great! Your wall art looks nice. So far, mine consists of MCG limited edition signs....lol.
IMG_0968.JPG

My buddy (next year will be 50 years...Holy crap!) Bout's shop (Boutwell Customs / Findlay, OH) has painted all the Mopars I had had the pleasure of hot roddin'.....why stop now. Boutwell Customs just finished HemiMarks Dart and it literally takes my breath away how nice it is. This cream puff Duster doesn't need much, add a Butch Leal 4-speed conversion, remove the landau roof, tune up the spare tire well and paint it Butch's color inside and out. You can see the slight difference in paint color from the orange that the car is now to Butch's trademark (Ford) poppy red that is on the doors hanging on the wall. Butch told me just use the current paint as primer.

Great stuff.
Love the wall art too.
You could probably make a good living restoring old race cars if you didn't have the suspension business going.
I suppose it all fits in with each other though........

Great stuff.
Love the wall art too.
You could probably make a good living restoring old race cars if you didn't have the suspension business going.
I suppose it all fits in with each other though........

Thanks,
If only I was 30 years old.....turned 65 the other day. Still got a couple more personal builds in mind. Then, when done, put me in the ground.

I didn't know this was happening! You sure can keep a secret! remember when...…...

you are in my friggin backyard....stop down for visit sometime. I live in BG, shops in Findlay

I knew your shop was in Findlay, did not know you lived in BG - yeah, pretty close! Will have to stop down, if we ever get the "all-clear" from COVID-19!

I can't wait to see the progress on this one.

This is a pretty simple build compared to what is on the drawing board.

dismantle / add a 4-speed hump and repair the spare well / paint / reassemble....add ghost graphics.....2 weeks (standard answer when someone asks "how long?"

Bout stopped by yesterday (I'm right on his path to his shop) to confirm the current paint job will make a good base / primer as Butch calls it.

done stripping, now off to the HDK fab shop Friday to get the frame rails connected, box the torsion bar / transmission crossover, and tigg the 4-speed hump and clutch cross-shaft frame bracket. Once done, a quick stop at the local media blaster to tune up the engine bay....then out we go to Boutwell Customs for a fresh coat of California Flash poppy red....everywhere.

20200506_134249.jpg

20200506_134316.jpg

20200506_134327 (1).jpg

Last edited:
The best part is the daily update to Butch on my drive home. I don't know what I'm gonna do if my wife has to go back to working in her office, Until the Covid flu, we took the daily 30 minute one-way ride together and I'm not suppose to be talking while driving. Apparently, I get easily distracted.....imagine that???

-
Back