Caliper leak At Bleeder Screw

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a '71 Duster with '73 K frame, suspension, brakes. The passenger side caliper is leaking at the bleeder screw location. I've replaced the bleeder screw and it still leaks. Any ideas before I get new/ reman calipers? Not mine in the pic but similar.

duster brakes.jpg

Are you positive the new bleeder screw was machined well and of good quality? The only reason I ask is because we oftentimes get brake line fittings that aren’t worth a damn. I couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve had to try two or more new brake line fittings before one correctly seals. It’s gotten to the point where I won’t buy my brake fittings from the cheapest suppliers anymore. I’d try one of more bleeder screws before scrapping the caliper.

It’s issues like the one your facing that make me wish I learned the mystic arts of being a machinist. I am certain they could drill and tap in no time at all but, would probably be more expensive to hire a machinist versus buying an entire new caliper.

Last edited:
I have no idea of the machining quality of the new bleeder. It "looked" to be well made but of course you can't gauge quality by looks. I measured the thread pitch to match the original and it was correct. It was a Dorman brand purchased from my local Advance Auto Parts. Maybe that's the problem.

I have no idea of the machining quality of the new bleeder. It "looked" to be well made but of course you can't gauge quality by looks. I measured the thread pitch to match the original and it was correct. It was a Dorman brand purchased from my local Advance Auto Parts. Maybe that's the problem.
correct me if I'm wrong, but brake bleeders don't seal on the threads, but on the tapered end. Most bleeder I've had to use, we're overtightened by someone previously. It's obvious when you remove the bleeder and look at the drilled hole, it will be somewhat crushed, oval not round, anymore. If the bleeder is tightened hard enough, maybe they could deform the seat in the caliper, too.

brake bleeders don't seal on the threads, but on the tapered end

That is correct. Also true for flare and various types of compression fittings. As a guy who encounters various types of pipe and tubing for a living, I cringe whenever I see pipe dope or Teflon on threads for something that should never have anything on the threads.

Back to your problem, as rustycowll69 and others said, the seat in the caliper could be distorted.

I guess I will try that Wilwood repair kit first. Damn, back to Summit I go. Was just about to get a set of remans from Oreilly's. Thought I'd check here first. Glad I did! Advance Auto has a Dorman brand around the corner from the house or should I make the 30 min trip to Summit for the Wilwood brand?

Last edited:
I decided to go with the Wilwood. It's cheaper and it has some kind of thread locker on it similar to what some OEM's use. Bought 2 for the price of 1 Dorman. Thanks SGBARRACUDA for the heads up on the repair kit!

Got the bleeder kit installed. Good thing is the kit is the exact thread pitch as the original bleeder. Still ran a tap through it though. Installed it, bled it, all is good.

IMG_20200702_165856.jpg

-
Back