Calling all gen 3 hemi gurus

-
In the ones I've torn down, it appears the cam lobe starts to fail BEFORE the lifter, you can see metal flecks coming off the lobes. I believe the camshaft material is to blame, (soft) a new camshaft from chrysler is like 85 dollars, what does that tell ya?
20181030_130104.jpg
20181030_130117.jpg
Check this out. 2012 truck engine. On a Non-MDS cylinder.

Yeah, seen a handful just like that. It's the cam that fails, NOT the lifters

Well, I sure would love to inspect the lifter that was on that lobe. If in fact it was perfect and the lobe is giving way, then either can be a problem. I've had cars (police fleet) where the cam was perfectly fine and the lifter's roller had given up in one way or another. Usually, by the time we had symptoms, it was too late to get to the very first stage of the problem. By MY experience of at least a dozen patrol cars, it was either the lifter was bad, or the lifter and cam lobe were both too wiped out to determine which one went bad first.

The lifter on that lobe rolled fine. Wheel looked good yet, too. However, not going to reuse.

The lifter on that lobe rolled fine. Wheel looked good yet, too. However, not going to reuse.

So, from my perspective, I really don't think anyone (besides FCA?) really knows what the problem is, there's just a lot of speculation out there. FCA told us we need to change our oil more often. I told them we do it RELIGIOUSLY every 3,000 miles, oil and filter. They were surprised, then responded, because of all the idle time known with cop cars, you should do it by time. They recommended an hours amount, but I can't remember. Think it might have been 150, but not sure. Thing is, private cars are all done by mileage; probably don't get anywhere near the idle time, and still have the problem. Not sure whether FCA is still trying to resolve the problem or if they've just set a lot of money aside for the warranty claims. :(

Last edited:
20181107_155418.jpg
Really hard to see. But, this is the lifter off of that lobe. Sucks not to know true issue. Can definitely see chunks of lobe getting stuck in the roller/wheel.

View attachment 1715246127 Really hard to see. But, this is the lifter off of that lobe. Sucks not to know true issue. Can definitely see chunks of lobe getting stuck in the roller/wheel.

On the cars we caught in time before the lobe got wiped out, the roller's axle/bearing had gotten all wonky. The roller still rolled, but you could wobble it and it would "catch" every now and then if you played around with it a little. I've seen my share of wiped cams, but on those, the roller was totally wasted too, so no way to really tell which one went first.

If you're building one for a hot rod, I'd stick an SRT cam or something from Comp in it; eliminate MDS if equipped and you'll be fine. If you're using a new, stock cam, then definitely use new lifters with it and you'll likely be fine with your hot rod, compared to the mileage put on the LX, LC and Rams that have had the problem. I think the earliest we've had the problem on our abused patrol cars was over 30K.

Last edited:
In the ones I've torn down, it appears the cam lobe starts to fail BEFORE the lifter, you can see metal flecks coming off the lobes. I believe the camshaft material is to blame, (soft) a new camshaft from chrysler is like 85 dollars, what does that tell ya?

Tells me the aftermarket parts are over priced!

A new standard induction hardened cast cam core from CMC or other suppliers to a custom cam grinder is pretty cheap... I've heard $15.00. I would imagine the big grinders like COMP, Crane and the OEM's pay far less.

COMP uses the cheapest cores they can get away with... ok for street use but no better than OEM. They buy from the same sources as OEM since there are only three outfits making cores in the US.

Mopar isn't the only one having cam issues... as mentioned before idle time seems to be one of the biggest killers of cams and lifters. The lifters rely on splash lubrication from the crankshaft... not much going on at 600 rpm's.

strange as my custom comp cam is billet and gun drilled and nothing even comparably similar to a stock 6.1 or 5.7 cam ive had in compatison. kinda wish i had taken a photo side by side now.

-
Back