Calling everyone that has a car with a 73 up style K-frame!

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello. This question is mainly for autoxcuda, or pauly, or clair davis, or Jim Lusk! Or any one that has this k frame! lol...

My question is: How much MORE sway bar clearance do you have with the 73 and up style spool mount K-frame than with the older 67-72 biscuit style k-frames and sway bars? I am running a 68 style k frame on my 68 cuda, with a hellwig sway bar, and it just doesn't give me enough clearance at full lock, the rims hit the wide style sway bar. I'm using 17x8 mustang bullits with 5.72 backspace, and a 3/8" spacer, which is mandatory. you guys probably already have seen my cuda suspension build thread. I'd like to see some pictures of how the sway bar goes through the k-frame on the newer style, and how it hooks up to the lower control arm.

My lower control arms do not have factory sway bar tabs, i use the bracket in the hellwig kit that uses the shock mount hole.

2cdius1.jpg

2q1scpc.jpg

w054k7.jpg

I am really considering swapping to the 73+ spool mount type k-frame and sway bar if it really is that much narrower!!

Also, I can use the same lower control arms correct? There will be no differences at all? What I dont understand is, how can the sway bar be narrower, (on the newer k frame)
when it has to mount to the same location??? (mounts to the same spot on my lower control arms)

The earlier setup has the mounting tabs on the bottom, with the bar ends above it, and the later style has the bar running through the K-frame, as opposed to in front of it, and the tabs are on the top of the LCA, with the bar ends below them. The tabs are about 3" further inboard per side on the later setup. The earlier setup hits the calipers when someone converts to big bolt pattern discs, so I think switching to the later setup will help you.

The earlier setup has the mounting tabs on the bottom, with the bar ends above it, and the later style has the bar running through the K-frame, as opposed to in front of it, and the tabs are on the top of the LCA, with the bar ends below them. The tabs are about 3" further inboard per side on the later setup. The earlier setup hits the calipers when someone converts to big bolt pattern discs, so I think switching to the later setup will help you.

Well, I have my calipers mounted to the rear, so the sway bar doesn't interfere with them at all...So, are you also saying I would need the corresponding lower control arms with the newer style k-member, because the sway bar mounts inward 3 inches on the LCA's?

This ain't purdy, but it'll do for this purpose. The photo is of a 1973 Dart with LCA equipped for factory anti-roll bar. The non-factory sway bar and sway bar tabs used to mount them put the link outside of the control rods. In this location it can hit the rod, and the bar can make contact with the calipers (if mounted forward). (MoparDude318 has his calipers mounted to the rear that avoids this problem.)

The factory bar and LCA mounts move the link inside of the control rod. No contact.

Photo for illustration purposes only. Bar too far towards passenger side, link is only finger tight. Even so, the sleeve does not touch the control rod. Note how the LCA mount is braced and the tab on the shock mount is not.

IMO/E swapping k-members will not solve the problem you are experiencing. Use LCA with sway bar link in factory location and bars designed for the factory mount.

DSCN2208s.JPG

i don't have the (helwig) bars yet but you definately have my attention with this fitment issue. dave at helwig has been working with Fabo members here for quite a while. i'd suggest talking to him since he and helwig seem very willing to work with people. keep us posted and good luck. try search for helwig, maybe get lucky or at least get dave's pm.

THe sway bar for the 73-76 K-member mounts inboard of the strut rod. Here's a picture of our sway bar for a 73-76 A-Body This bar will work with factory tabs or you can use the ones we provide and drill the control arm to mount them.

385603286.jpg

Where is your sway bar rubbing the tires? We might be able to modify the bar for you for more clearance.

Yes, the 67-72 wide sway bar is not a good idea if you are running wide tire with more than 4.5" backspacing. I know my 245/50/15 on 15x7 4.25" backspace rims will rub slightly when really cranked.

I don't think I have a good piciture of the distance with the new 73-76 K-member I'm running.

I have 245/50/15 on 15x9 4.125 backspace rims now. I could take a picture, but that is far from what you are running.

But from the pictures Dave at Helwig posted above, the 73-76 in slightly inside of the strut rods.

The smoking gun picture would be a 73-76 sway bar laying on top of a 67-76 sway bar. I've got a stack full of 73-76 sway bars, but my 67-76 is somewhere else.

Here's the Hellwig 73-76 Sway bar in MY Barracuda with the 73-76 K-member. Took like 20 minutes to put in on jackstands. Super easy install.

I worked with Dave@Hellwig to develop the 73-76 front bars. I had a whole mock up front end laid out just to test them. AND my car to put them on. It took a few tries, but I really wanted to make sure it fit and had room for factory variances and even room enough to grow it to a 1 1/4" if someone wanted to. The last picture was NOT the final bar.

HellwigFrontSwayBarInstallSm04.JPG

HellwigFrontSwayBarInstallSm06.JPG

HellwigFrontSwayBarInstallSm18.JPG

Copy of PICT6.JPG

mopardude318, my car will be at Spring Fling for you to check out. And Hellwig will have a Midway booth with all their stuff to touch and feel. Dave@Helwig I'm pretty sure will be the one working the booth.

So if I wanted to put a 74 K frame in my 67 Dart would I be able to use a stock older style sway bar? I have the one that mounts on the front of the K frame on with the weird angled bracket things right now (stock piece) am an looking at a later model K frame for the spool mounts (car has spool mounts welded in now, but Ineed the engine in the stock location for headers later).

I have a K frame sitting here, the guy who bought my front suspension didn't need it. If you need pictures of anything specific.

Riddler

So if I wanted to put a 74 K frame in my 67 Dart would I be able to use a stock older style sway bar? I have the one that mounts on the front of the K frame on with the weird angled bracket things right now (stock piece) am an looking at a later model K frame for the spool mounts (car has spool mounts welded in now, but Ineed the engine in the stock location for headers later).

Yes the early type swaybar can go with either type K member.

Do the later model K frames have the hole already drilled for the sway bar or would I need to do that myself?

Do the later model K frames have the hole already drilled for the sway bar or would I need to do that myself?

The two I have are not drilled. Just transfer your hole measurements from the old K-member.

maybe relevant, maybe a hijack i dont know, but i attempted to install the helwig swaybar on m 73 duster thismorning and its a no go. somethign is wrong. it will only fit through the K frame one way. you cant install it upside down. it seems like it is bent wrong. the bar will not travel down enough to mount the brackets to the control arms. the bar is hitting the top of the k frame inside. seems like the endlinks are too long and or the bar is bent wrong, im going to need some dimensions to see what is wrong.

so you have the spool mount k frame correct? is it a later style sway bar as well?? any pics of the bar itself, ad how you are trying to mount it?

end links were too long. i shortned the sleeves and used different bolts and it worked.

end links were too long. i shortned the sleeves and used different bolts and it worked.

Did the car have factory lower control arm tabs?

Did you mount the sway bar K-member cross bar under the mounting holes on the K-member?

Mine went in two different k-members without problems.

Is the car short of high off the ground in the front? The higher the car, the sway bar tab on the LCA gets lowered (closer) to the sway bar.

Big differences in a cars ride height will need the sway bar endlinks to change height. For any sway bar.

-
Back