Cam choice?..

-
I know my Duster has 354's with 27 3/4 in. tires and I'm at 3k at 65 mph...

But that is the sweet spot for your Duster.
Your truck will be rapped out at 65 with too small of cam.
I am not suggesting a drag cam ... just one that gives you a usable mid range.
I find with today fast hiway speeds even 3.55s seem too deep without an O.D. I never thought I would find myself saying that .

But that is the sweet spot for your Duster.
Your truck will be rapped out at 65 with too small of cam.
I am not suggesting a drag cam ... just one that gives you a usable mid range.
I find with today fast hiway speeds even 3.55s seem too deep without an O.D. I never thought I would find myself saying that .
I drove it to 60 miles home and it did just fine on the freeway like it is. Again the truck will be for sale and I just want to sound and feel good..

I drove it to 60 miles home and it did just fine on the freeway like it is. Again the truck will be for sale and I just want to sound and feel good..

Then put some rusted out mufflers on it and sell it.

Then put some rusted out mufflers on it and sell it.
I took the rusted out glasspack off and that's yet another thing that I have to buy for the truck..
Have you been drinking are you drunk? What's your problem why are you being a dick...

I took the rusted out glasspack off and that's yet another thing that I have to buy for the truck..
Have you been drinking are you drunk? What's your problem why are you being a dick...

No, I rarely drink anymore. I'm just givin you a hard time cause it's fun.

Oh ... I didnt realize that part.

You could just punch a hole in the muffler ! Lol
Back in 79/80 My 70 Chargers mufflers were going south and people would always compliment the awesome sound of it .
“ What cam are you running ? “.....lol

No, I rarely drink anymore. I'm just givin you a hard time cause it's fun.
Well a couple of these :poke: here and there would keep me clued in..
I'm sorry if I get a little bit serious about it it's part of the way that I make my living.. swinging a little bit of our savings out and trying to recoup it with a little extra to make ends meet..

Oh ... I didnt realize that part.

You could just punch a hole in the muffler ! Lol
Back in 79/80 My 70 Chargers mufflers were going south and people would always compliment the awesome sound of it .
“ What cam are you running ? “.....lol
the problem is I'll be selling it to someone like you or me who will be older and know the difference between the hole in the muffler and something that sounds healthy with a quiet Muffler...

Well a couple of these :poke: here and there would keep me clued in..
I'm sorry if I get a little bit serious about it it's part of the way that I make my living.. swinging a little bit of our savings out and trying to recoup it with a little extra to make ends meet..

I'm too lazy for all that hooha. If i'm ever serious about bein a dick, you'll know about it.

I'm too lazy for all that hooha. If i'm ever serious about bein a dick, you'll know about it.
Also I'm not delusional and thinking that I'm going to get rich trying to flip one of these old trucks.. no doubt it's a bit of a labor of love but I do like to have a little bit of extra change when all is said and done...

It was kind of nice seeing my first seed truck I sold last year in a business parking lot yesterday. I had to take a quick picture LOL...
IMG_20191129_153004.jpg

Thinking business-wise I sold the 318 out of the last track that was forced to part out because it was too far gone for $350.. by the time I put your suggested cam and a set of lifters and a set of Springs and obviously I would likely take the heads off at that point a new head gasket.. break in oil blah blah blah I would be $350 into the cam I never get the money back out especially when I'm just selling the truck.. that's why I'm thinking $122 is a bit of a stretch but maybe..

Man if you are selling this thing don't even bother with a cam,put some nice exhaust and a good tune up and be done.

Man if you are selling this thing don't even bother with a cam,put some nice exhaust and a good tune up and be done.
There is absolutely no "if"...
I'm selling it.. if I have to drive it for a few months that's fine.. that will likely sell better in the spring.. the little bit that I played with it I couldn't figure out why it was running like crap.. likely massive vacuum leaks in the intake and the carburetor looked horrid.. that will definitely need a rebuild.. besides the refurbishment of all the little things I thought this could be the one little upgrade... Hopefully make it a bit more desirable..

There is absolutely no "if"...
I'm selling it.. if I have to drive it for a few months that's fine.. that will likely sell better in the spring.. the little bit that I played with it I couldn't figure out why it was running like crap.. likely massive vacuum leaks in the intake and the carburetor looked horrid.. that will definitely need a rebuild.. besides the refurbishment of all the little things I thought this could be the one little upgrade... Hopefully make it a bit more desirable..

Why can't Kenny grind you something?? I have a set of lifters that Kenny resurfaced I'd sell you for 50 bucks. You can grab them at the swap meet in January.

Why can't Kenny grind you something?? I have a set of lifters that Kenny resurfaced I'd sell you for 50 bucks. You can grab them at the swap meet in January.
I don't want to have to be the first one in line! LOL.. then I would need new pushrods correct? I'm trying to avoid more Rabbit Holes... I've got enough of them..

Also $50 for your lifters and $79 for a regrind... =$129+ 3 trips to Vancouver...

glad to hear it :) If a touch up is ever needed, it's cheap and easy to match... LOL :D
Somehow I had it in my mind that just a little bump and performance would be the little Edge that would make it more sellable.. I think when I'm done definitely under hood will look the part.. I was just thinking if it sounded the part a little bit...
And like I was saying earlier we know what the hole in the muffler sounds like and we know what a quiet yet healthy motor sounds like..

It must not have went very far from you for you to see it now and then?
Yes that was the one that I was getting phone calls from LA to Seattle to the East Coast.. paint still on the floorboards... and then ended up selling it to a guy less than 2 miles away.. he text me a few months ago and asked me about possible help with more restoration of the truck. I tried to get back a hold of him and even the other day when I seen the truck shot him a text message and still haven't heard nothing back.
Oh well..

Somehow I had it in my mind that just a little bump and performance would be the little Edge that would make it more sellable.. I think when I'm done definitely under hood will look the part.. I was just thinking if it sounded the part a little bit...
And like I was saying earlier we know what the hole in the muffler sounds like and we know what a quiet yet healthy motor sounds like..
Yeah, but if you knock a lobe on the cam break-in (unlikely, I know), you'll wish you never gave it a thought... lol. Are you putting a 4 bbl on it as well?

-
Back