Cam degree close. Enough?

-

3406pk

Reaction score
Installing Hughes 3842AL 110 cam in 5.9L stroker. Using a ProGear camdex timing set with 3 keyways 0* , 2* adv , 2* ret . The lsa is 110 and recommended centerline is 106. After doing the cam degree test w 0* key, center was 104. Then 2* advance yielded center 103. So then did with 2* retard and got 110. So question is whether 104 centerline is best I can get. If I get OFFSET cam key, could that improve it. Thanks for help.

I would have left it at 103. I just degreed the cam in my Chevy 396 build. It's the largest Thumpr hydraulic flat tappet. 107 LSA and recommended 102 center line. I ended up AT 100. I like going a little advanced from the card, simply because the timing chain will break in and then stretch over time, retarding the timing a little.

agree- unless you have super high compression
if it rattles- better gas and tune tune tune
still rattle back the cam off

agree- unless you have super high compression
if it rattles- better gas and tune tune tune
still rattle back the cam off
I just went thru all this on a new cam, I always wonder why they don't just grind the dam cam to go where they want it to start with !

Installing Hughes 3842AL 110 cam in 5.9L stroker. Using a ProGear camdex timing set with 3 keyways 0* , 2* adv , 2* ret . The lsa is 110 and recommended centerline is 106. After doing the cam degree test w 0* key, center was 104. Then 2* advance yielded center 103. So then did with 2* retard and got 110. So question is whether 104 centerline is best I can get. If I get OFFSET cam key, could that improve it. Thanks for help.

I run a rollmaster chain set, it has a 9 way keyed lower sprocket , always get what u want with it . The chain is hanging in there too, still very tight on a street solid roller.

Thanks a lot to all for your input and advice. I will keep it at 104*. I put the timing chain tensioner on, and it was so tight that I had to take a chunk off the peg to get it on under the chain. Nice and snug.

-
Back