Cam lash

-

aaronk785

Reaction score
I'm running a howards solid cam in my race car. Cam card calls for .018 hot lash. I did a little tuning with valve lash. Car runs best at .024 lash. Does anyone see this causing a problem with the valve train. Buddy says the extra lash can kill the valve rockers and valves. any experience? Cam is 272 at .050 and .660 lift.

Your engine is telling you it wants a slightly smaller cam........think about it

The ramp design of the cam lobe is what determines the lash, before I run it there for a long time I would call the cam manufacture and ask there tech guy about it.

No you are fine. .024 is not what i would call loose lash. We set valve lash on the dyno based on what the engine wants? So in the car if it goes quicker with .024 than with .018 thats what it wants and is safe.

The others are correct. To me it's probably ok, but you should check with the manufacturer to see if that is ok to do long term. And you're over-cammed.

Yes. I no I'm over cammed but its what I had. Ill check with howards to make sure. Problem is I need a cam inbetween the two I have. The other is a 260-264 at .050 and .640 lift both on 108lsa. Car is faster with the 272 at .050 cam even at .018 and about 2 tenths quicker at .024. Figure I need a 264 to 268 at .050 cam. Which is what I'm doing with lash. Just hope it s safe.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll call howards tomarrow and see what they say. Then I'll go from there. I don't have the intake valve clearance to advance anymore.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll call howards tomarrow and see what they say. Then I'll go from there. I don't have the intake valve clearance to advance anymore.

How much do you valve clearance do you have. If it's correct, you can go as close as .040 on the intake.

I'm running a howards solid cam in my race car. Cam card calls for .018 hot lash. I did a little tuning with valve lash. Car runs best at .024 lash. Does anyone see this causing a problem with the valve train. Buddy says the extra lash can kill the valve rockers and valves. any experience? Cam is 272 at .050 and .660 lift.

Find a new "buddy".

My cam calls for .028int / .032ex. I run it at .24int / .28ex. It isn't noisy and hasn't hurt the valvetrain in about 15 years of operation.

I have been told you can safely go .004 in either direction. If the engine makes more power at a slightly looser setting I'd consider this to be a good thing really. A loose valve is a happy valve.

My cam calls for .028int / .032ex. I run it at .24int / .28ex. It isn't noisy and hasn't hurt the valvetrain in about 15 years of operation.

I have been told you can safely go .004 in either direction. If the engine makes more power at a slightly looser setting I'd consider this to be a good thing really. A loose valve is a happy valve.

Some of that depends on the ramp. My lobes lash at .014/.016 hot. I can't go any tighter hot, but I can go .003-.004 looser.

Some of that depends on the ramp. My lobes lash at .014/.016 hot. I can't go any tighter hot, but I can go .003-.004 looser.
My solid roller lashes at .06-.018 , w/ alum. heads , I set them at .011-.012 cold, and don't even recheck them .

-
Back