Cam Question

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I have a 360 stroked to 408 that is running a comp cam .575, .575 lift and .308,.308 duration. Currently i am running 1.5 rockers and I am considering going to 1.6 rockers. Was wondering how to figure what the additional lift would be if I were to make this change. Also how much if any would that change the duration. I am also thinking of changing my 915 slightly ported heads to my edelbrock aluminum heads at the same time. I know either way i will need to check valve clearance with or without the rocker change if I do the head swap.
Thanks Rod

Take .575 and divide it by 1.5 = .383
Now multiply .383 by 1.6 = .613
I believe it adds some duration, but I honestly don't know if it's enough to even notice. I've always been under the belief it might be a degree or 2.

Take your lift and divide by 1.5 which is .383, so you have a .383 lobe.

Take your .383 lobe and multiply that by 1.6 and your new lift would be .613.

I’m not sure of how to exactly figure how much more duration you’ll get, but the math smart guy’s probably can. I say you’ll pick up 2 degrees at .050 but don’t hold me to that.

I vote don't do it. It already has a lot of lift. You'll likely gain nothing.

If it’s 13:1 with ported trick flows and under cammed I’d say he’d pick up some power.

It’s generally accepted that it is a 2* duration gain. Actual may vary.

The thing with your Edelbrock heads are there rated to be good to .575 lift. What I would do is disassemble the valve springs and see what’s under them. Get a valve height mic and start fishing around on springs to use that will for certain handle that lift.

IF you can not get the spring in with clearance on lift & you have only 1 thin shim under the valve springs (to protect the aluminum from the steel spring eating it up) look to possibly use a valve seat/stem cutter to drop the seat slightly. There isn’t much room to cut under the spring so be careful.

Porting the head would be next in line. IMO, for myself, maybe not you? I’d probably have a pro head porter on it to do both jobs.

You said ported J heads, got any flow numbers from a flow bench for your porting job? I haven’t looked at modified J head flow numbers in a while, but I imagine it takes a lot of work for them to need .600 lift.

Not being a smart as Rob but,

He gave no other useful information. How do you come to that conclusion?

It's just my humble opinion that he has a decent amount of lift......I think he would be better off making a completely different camshaft choice, but that's not what he asked, so I answered his question. Had he a dual pattern camshaft maybe around .550 lift, I would have voted "yeah".

You said ported J heads, got any flow numbers from a flow bench for your porting job? I haven’t looked at modified J head flow numbers in a while, but I imagine it takes a lot of work for them to need .600 lift.

Right. IMO it's already over cammed."ESPECIALLY" with a single pattern camshaft and J heads. Even ported.

@MOPAROFFICIAL come see what you think.

Right. IMO it's already over cammed."ESPECIALLY" with a single pattern camshaft and J heads. Even ported.

@MOPAROFFICIAL come see what you think.
My 2 cents is to much cam on low flowing cylinder heads. On the cylinder head it is ether what I said or get a set of Trick Flows & 1.6 rockers. Sell the Edelbrock & J heads to roll the money over into the Trick Flows.
(That’s the best move IMO)

My 2 cents is to much cam on low flowing cylinder heads. On the cylinder head it is ether what I said or get a set of Trick Flows & 1.6 rockers. Sell the Edelbrock & J heads to roll the money over into the Trick Flows.
(That’s the best move IMO)

I ain't disagreein. It'll run good like it is, it's just not what you might consider "optimal"......but then, how many builds ARE, you know?

Sounds logical Rusty. I have no idea how I read past “slightly ported J heads” and the mention of edlebrocks. But I did. I will say this though, typically I measure valve to piston clearance and run as much lift as I can. But I like a lot of lift.

I ain't disagreein. It'll run good like it is, it's just not what you might consider "optimal"......but then, how many builds ARE, you know?
That word “optimal” is arguable. It’s the driver that must be satisfied. To that end I say the word optimal equals rarity and satisfaction is per the drivers desires.
:p

typically I measure valve to piston clearance and run as much lift as I can. But I like a lot of lift.
Agreed, so long as the head supports it, YUP! Though not every build will need it or utilize it. Much depends on what is being done with the engine & car.
:steering:

That word “optimal” is arguable. It’s the driver that must be satisfied. To that end I say the word optimal equals rarity and satisfaction is per the drivers desires:p

I agree completely. What's "optimal" for one may not be for another. Whatever makes you happy.....maybe that's a better phrase.

Sounds logical Rusty. I have no idea how I read past “slightly ported J heads” and the mention of edlebrocks. But I did. I will say this though, typically I measure valve to piston clearance and run as much lift as I can. But I like a lot of lift.

I agree! I like a lot of lift, too. But stock heads run out of steam before .500 lift. His are ported.....but how much more does that really add? If he had W2s or maybe trick flows or eddys......then it's a different ball game.

I have used that cam with a 10.1 360 with ported x heads , I did not have them flowed but it was very strong , shifted at 7000 - 7200. Worked well in my application , I would not have bothered with 1.6 rockers personally but each to their own.

First let me thanks for all the replys and thoughts. I thought I would share some addition information on this motor. It has about 300 miles on it. As I said its stroked and is .040 bore. Compression right now is at 10.5-1. I expect to go to 11.5-1 with the aluminum heads??? I am going to include some pics of the porting that has been done. I bought these heads already ported and had the hardened seats added and 2.02 / 1.88 valves. I did not have these flow tested nor am I going to but I would guess they should flow fairly well for 915 heads as close as appear to be worked. After looking at the cost of new rockers if i would want more lift it would probably be less expensive to go with a different cam?? So probably i will just have to be satisfied with my 1.5 rockers and just do the head swap. I will also be putting on my 2x4 set up (if it fits under the hood scoop) when i do this change. Again thanks for all your thoughts. Its greatly appreciated.
Rod

My pics didn't post so when I get home here shortly I will try again to post head pics. Rumble. I boight these heads already ported so I didnt know what I had until they showed up.
Rod

Here are pics of the heads. They didnt attach on last attempt.
DSC04962 (Copy).jpg
DSC04961 (Copy).jpg
DSC04960 (Copy).jpg
DSC04957 (Copy).jpg
DSC04956 (Copy).jpg
DSC04955 (Copy).jpg
DSC04954 (Copy).jpg

you would have to flow them to tell
running open headers or through the mufflers?
I doubt slightly ported could use .600 lift
does the duration give you the rpm range you want?
how about a pic of a stripe on the top of the valve stem
you may need a b3 kit
or change heads
the TF heads do not usually need a b3 kit so include that in the price info

-
Back