Cam swap ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about swapoing in a new cam.

The motor is a 72 with a stock bottom end as far as i know it still has the low 8.5:1 pistons in it but I think the heads may have been milled alittle.

The currant cam is stock also I think. It idles with a little lope at 800rpm and pulls hard from 2500-6000rpms

The motor has a LD340 intake, Eddy 600 carb (also have a650 double pumper tp try) 1-5/8" headers,MSD ignition. 1.88-1.60valve heads.The trans is a 727 with a 10" conv. and full manual valvebody and there will 4.10s or 4.30s in the rear with a 28" tall tire. The car has been lightend up and wieghs around 3000lbs.

Ive been thinking of trying the CompCams XE268 , XE274 or XE284.

It may one day get some RPM heads but not anytime soon.
What do you think ?

Adam,

Before you buy a cam, pick up the phone and call Jim Dowel at Racer Brown. I have used about every cam grinder there is over the years, and Jim is the best. I have never met a Mopar guy who runs a Racer Brown who does not feel the same way I do.

I had him grind me a cam for a 72 440 (low compression) motor I was putting in my 67 tow truck. It is hard to make a low compression motor put out a lot of low end torque, with a lot of snap. Well, his grind did wonders for my truck. I am also having him grind a roller for my 74 Duster race car. Call him, and give him a chance, I think you will like what you hear, if you don't, kool, buy the Comp Cam. They make good stuff.

The best time to call him is later in the afternoon, around 4:30 to 5:00 his time. He is different than all the other grinders, you will be talking to him, not some salesperson who drives a old Chevy.

Earl

Before you buy a cam, pick up the phone and call Jim Dowel at Racer Brown.

I keep hearing this same thing. It's almost ike an echo or something. I will definately give this guy a call when I am ready to buy. EVERYONE seems to like them, 'cept for the Chevy guys. :D

whats his number i might give him a call when i'm ready to put in a cam in my 440 or 400 bigblock

Racer Brown Inc.
8001 Philadelphia Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21237

Jim Dowel
410 - 866 - 7660

Here you go mate......

Earl

I have heard nothing but good stuff about racer brown cams. Check out this link http://www3.sympatico.ca/big-d/ this fellow is a old school Mopar guy, he is super nice and very smart, he has his own machine shop at his house just for playing . He says over the years he has tried something like 26 different cams in his cars and Racer Brown is the best. He actually has cams custom ground , to his specs which are very close to the Racer Brown cams. He has a cast piston 400 in a Mirada doing mid 11's .Check out his website, it is very interesting. I bought a set of KB 240 pistons off of him for my next big block build. A very nice man !!
fastback383.....

Don is a very good friend of mine. He is very old skool, and all of his stuff runs like stink. He is all about going fast without fancy parts. He is one heck of a nice guy, and will help anybody out anytime.

He is on our B Body list, and is always helping guys out.

I hate to say it but I am old skool also, but I like fancy parts :) .

Earl

-
Back