cam timing question

-

mderoy340

Reaction score
I'm degreeing my cam and it is 4* retarded when installed straight up. I can only advance the cam 2* at the crank with the timing set I have.
Anyone know approximately how many degrees timing changes by advancing one sprocket tooth at the cam?

I do have an offset cam key set but if I can bump the cam sprocket and get the needed 4* I will.

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the link.
15* is way to much so I guess I'll be using an offset key on the cam sprocket.

46 teeth on the cam sprocket. 46 into 360 (degrees) is 7.8 deg per tooth shift which as said would be 15.6 adv or retard change (checked/seen at the dampener)

I ended up with 2* at the cam. Looks like the MP offset key set is no longer available.

Is this a street engine? 2 degrees advanced is not much on a street motor. If anything it'll bring your power in a little sooner in the rpm band.

Street strip Lunati 234/236 108/106 custom hyd roller. Installed cam straight up and was 4* retarded. I used the 2* offset cam key to get the ICL at 106.

If it bothers you this much just get a different timing set. There are some available with NINE different key ways. It's not the end of the world.

I ended up with 2* at the cam. Looks like the MP offset key set is no longer available.

There are other brands:

http://www.manciniracing.com/ofcamkey3.html

http://shop.mr-gasket.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=offset+cam+key

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...6apwsOq_6nG9WJfgPmKcrDH7mge6YzLxCvhoCs7jw_wcB

Some of these look like cam keys, but are listed as crank keys, but another manufacturer that may still make them...

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-Gasket-Crankshaft-Camshaft-Keys/748920/10002/-1

Street strip Lunati 234/236 108/106 custom hyd roller. Installed cam straight up and was 4* retarded. I used the 2* offset cam key to get the ICL at 106.

very close to the specs on my Lunati hyd roller in my 340. I ended up at 1* advanced when setting my timing set straight up. I left it, as this is street motor as well and I don't mind having the power come in a tiny bit earlier in the rpm range. I'd leave it where your at now and run it.

If it bothers you this much just get a different timing set. There are some available with NINE different key ways. It's not the end of the world.

Cam is in correctly and I mentioned the camshaft key offset set was no longer available for other members benefit. The Mancini link is there but you can't add the item to the shopping cart.

It's a lot easier to change the cam sprocket key vs the crank sprocket. Every time you remove the crank sprocket to select a different slot the degree wheel has to come off and you need to reset the TDC pointer.

very close to the specs on my Lunati hyd roller in my 340. I ended up at 1* advanced when setting my timing set straight up. I left it, as this is street motor as well and I don't mind having the power come in a tiny bit earlier in the rpm range. I'd leave it where your at now and run it.

I agree and can't wait to get the heads back from the machine shop.

Cam is in correctly and I mentioned the camshaft key offset set was no longer available for other members benefit. The Mancini link is there but you can't add the item to the shopping cart.

It's a lot easier to change the cam sprocket key vs the crank sprocket. Every time you remove the crank sprocket to select a different slot the degree wheel has to come off and you need to reset the TDC pointer.

LOL. You should only have to do that once, maybe twice

Yo ucan either leave it, or get an offset keyway for the cam or crank. If it were me, I'd get the keyway for the cam..lol.

Yo ucan either leave it, or get an offset keyway for the cam or crank. If it were me, I'd get the keyway for the cam..lol.

I wasn't aware you could buy a new "keyway". I assume you mean offset woodruff key, since the keyway is the hole the key fits into. lol

-
Back