Camshaft And Valve Timing Event Articles

-
No exact match for the 252 lobe on the Bullet site though.

Like I said...... I’m curious to hear what they tell you.
Like...... could they sell someone that same 264/268 cam that was used in the article?
And if so..... what are the actual lobes used?

Called Bullet today. Guy said they did some regrinds for Hughes years ago, but didn't think they ground their cams per-say. I might try calling Hughes to see if I can get a straight answer.

Called Hughes, said they don't share that info with customers. I figured as much.
Called Engle, they said the HEV grinds are theirs, but the HTL grind isn't.

Last edited:
My curiosity is now peaked. I'll have to dig out my old HTL4848 cam and run it over the cam doctor.

Looking at the Howards master list, I can find the current Hughes cams lobes there...... so there is no mystery as to what those are.

Looking the the Hughes site, their
STL6468BS3-8 cam(.414/.421 lobe lift)...... then look at the Howard’s master list....... the lobes are right there.

The mystery for me is still....... what lobes and from what supplier were the previous generation of Hughes cams ground from?
Like the HTL6468AS.

The Howard’s lobes are 28* major intensity....... so they're pretty fast.
The Comp MM lobes are actually a touch quicker(26* MI).

My “opinion” on the stories from Howard’s with regards to the Hughes cams is....... it’s politics.
They don’t want to just come out and say they can grind you the exact same cam you can get from Hughes........as a courtesy to Hughes.
Those were my thoughts exactly before I even called. The "mystery" to me is he gave me timing events at different lifts and they were slightly different, not by allot but different for sure. I guess he could of pulled off an elaborate scheme and gave me specs on a ford and a mopar lobe, or just maybe I got the wannabe tech janitor who answered the phone when everyone else was at lunch lol. I know one thing for 100% sure, my hughes cam was not ground on a howards core and it shows .

Cam grinders don’t make cast cores..... they buy them.
And they’re all buying them from the same suppliers.
The bigger cam grinders buy them from multiple sources....... so you may not always get the same exact core.

The two suppliers that most of the US made cast cores come from are Camshaft Machine Co. and Engine Power.

Last edited:
That’s interesting.

I wonder what they used for lobes, since they don’t have anything that matches up on their .904 flat tappet solid master list.
The old UD are pretty close, but those lobes have duration @.050 numbers that are “odd” instead of “even”.

Agreed. The UD lobes are the closest thing I can find. If you have them grind lobe # NF59 and NF63 on a 106+3 you'd have a near clone of the HTL6468AS Hughes cam.

-
Back