Camshaft Install - how tight is too tight?

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I installed new Clevite cam bearings in my 383 build. I slid the Comp Cams camshaft in and it's tight. I read here and on FBBO of some guys scraping the bearings where there's a tight fit. I used Lisle 18000 cam installer tool, and the bearings aren't cockeyed.
I pulled the cam and installed the old one which moved more freely, but tighter than with old bearings (naturally).
Before I do anything, how tight is too tight? I can not turn this by my fingers on the cam dowel. I put on the old cam sprocket and it turns with one finger - with a lot of force. A diesel mechanic buddy of mine told me it's fine and it will loosen up running on it's own quickly. Or at least that's his experience with truck engines. PLEASE HELP!

BB cam bearings sometimes need align honing or some type of correction.
I have never had an issue but have had friends with same problem.
Others here will have more experience.

BB cam bearings sometimes need align honing or some type of correction.
I have never had an issue but have had friends with same problem.
Others here will have more experience.

From what I gather, Chryslers are terrible about cam bore misalignment from the factory. You can always cut notches in an old cam and use it to clearance the new bearings, or hone them / which is what the machinist did when he bored an decked my block etc.
I woudnt take a chance on spinning a cam bearing , regardless of what a mech. told you !! Be REAL PAIN IN THE A$$ TO FIX AFTER INSTALLING THE ENGINE !
You need to be at least able to turn it with bolts screwed in , by hand , even if a little tite.

Now my small wife can turn the cam by the bolt. She has to try, but she can do it!
So I've read so much about so many people doing the grooves cut on old cam method. Count me as another success story with this approach! It worked like a charm. I made two opposite diagonal cuts on each of the old cam's "journals," greased it up, installed, and turned a lot by hand. Then pull the cam, wipe it down very well, and repeat.
Old school stuff - I love it! I am really learning so much with this project, which was another main goal of mine. I can freely turn the cam by the cam bolt. It's not "spinning," but it feels much easier and very smooth.
I truly appreciate any and all feedback and value your knowledge I receive by your replies! Thanks again!

Now my small wife can turn the cam by the bolt. She has to try, but she can do it!
So I've read so much about so many people doing the grooves cut on old cam method. Count me as another success story with this approach! It worked like a charm. I made two opposite diagonal cuts on each of the old cam's "journals," greased it up, installed, and turned a lot by hand. Then pull the cam, wipe it down very well, and repeat.
Old school stuff - I love it! I am really learning so much with this project, which was another main goal of mine. I can freely turn the cam by the cam bolt. It's not "spinning," but it feels much easier and very smooth.
I truly appreciate any and all feedback and value your knowledge I receive by your replies! Thanks again!

good to go !

-
Back