Camshaft suggestions

-
'swhy I recommend them.......and people rarely listen.
Amen,I put one in a rather stock 351w once with mild head work and you know how bad those heads are, that thing ran pretty hard for what it is.

Last edited:
Harold Brookshire did many of the early Comp Cams lobe designs.
Yep, not may people are aware of this, the high energy was comps first "fast ramp cam" design. I use lunati cams for 90% of my builds,Steve used to work with Harold for quite a few years and now is at lunati.

Last edited:
I would like the OP's input at this point to see what direction he is going in or has found out with his present 360. Curious if he's found any more trouble or started to swap in a cruise motor for the summer so he can investigate his current combination further.

To the op I built a cheap 360 quite a few years ago with the same pistons as yours and home ported (nothing exotic) 318 heads with stock valves milled .020. I used a comp xe 274,thin head gaskets and cheap headers,performer intake and a 600 holley. Dam thing was good for high 12's in a dart with 3.23 gears and 245 60 14 tires,the 318 heads can be made to work its all about what you want to do.

You know you probably gave up 4 tenths using that big cam vs a 204 intake camshaft....
smiley-rolling-eyes.gif

We know that UDHarold designed the HE268 and others in that time frame Before Ultradine and Lunati
I have no idea who did the dual pattern stuff with the ultra long exhaust lobe- squeeze it down to a 107 and you would have a -whatever you call those fool things Hughes and others sell- real special applications or they do not work right
crackedback maybe soo- more gear would have helped as would a xe274HL and more gears (if he likes the rpm range of a 274) I'd have to look at his 60 ft times
lead69 what was you mph?

We know that UDHarold designed the HE268 and others in that time frame Before Ultradine and Lunati
I have no idea who did the dual pattern stuff with the ultra long exhaust lobe- squeeze it down to a 107 and you would have a -whatever you call those fool things Hughes and others sell- real special applications or they do not work right
crackedback maybe soo- more gear would have helped as would a xe274HL and more gears (if he likes the rpm range of a 274) I'd have to look at his 60 ft times
lead69 what was you mph?

Well that "right there" tells me all I need to know. If "you don't think" the Whiplash and Thumpr cams work, you're peein in a fan. Cause buddy, lemmie tell you, they DO. I agree "there are probably" better selections, but for what they are they do work well. I don't know of anyone who has one that's not happy with both how it sounds and how it runs.

All that said, that type grinding is nothing new under the sun. Crower was doing it 50 plus years ago with their Hydraulic Hauler series. BIG duration split, LONG exhaust duration and a tight LSA.

You just gained all the credibility in the world of a keyboard commando with your comments. "Fool things"? Hardly. Optimal? Maybe not.........but they DO WORK.

No matter which one you choose there will always be others that develop more horsepower or more torque but usually at the expense of usable rpm. Always a lot of :popcorn: in these cam threads. Good thing the newbies ask. It gives us old farts something to argue about and it's more fun than politics. :rofl:

I really try not to argue about it...... especially in these types of threads where there are probably 50 off the shelf cams that would all work fine.

I make my recommendation...... that’s it.

Though, I do find it amusing at how some people get sooooo worked up when someone questions their selection.

The way I see it....... what cam someone else puts in their motor has zero affect on how my stuff runs.

I really try not to argue about it...... especially in these types of threads where there are probably 50 off the shelf cams that would all work fine.

I make my recommendation...... that’s it.

Though, I do find it amusing at how some people get sooooo worked up when someone questions their selection.

The way I see it....... what cam someone else puts in their motor has zero affect on how my stuff runs.

I couldn't care less about someone questioning my particular selection. That's not where I'm comin from at all. It gets under my skin when people come in these threads and try to show someone "how much they know" when in fact, most times either they spew so much info it's useless, OR they don't know jack diddly doodoo, or both.

If someone was asking "what cam for my money making drag car?" then heck yeah we'll go to the mat and get the best possible power maker. BUT 1) I'm doin this for free and 2) 99% of guys who ask about cams "just want something" that sounds decent, runs good and is fun to drive that will be reliable for years to come and not beat the valve train all to hell in a year or two while being quiet doing it.

That said, for most street builds, you can close your eyes and pick ANY brand off the shelf that's "around" .500 lift, 230 @.050 and ground on a 110 and you got a goodun. All the arguing be damned.

I would like the OP's input at this point to see what direction he is going in or has found out with his present 360. Curious if he's found any more trouble or started to swap in a cruise motor for the summer so he can investigate his current combination further.
Sorry everyone, I've been tied up over the last couple of days. First of all.. Thank you for all of the great information. Right now the engine is tore down to the block and rotating assembly. we are going to pull it out of the car and put it on a stand to check out the lower half before we start just throwing parts at it and wasting money.
Should have it on the stand and torn apart tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted on what we find out tomorrow. I forgot to mention I am doing this build with my son.
Thanks again everybody! You folks are great!! I'll keep you posted!!

I couldn't care less about someone questioning my particular selection. That's not where I'm comin from at all. It gets under my skin when people come in these threads and try to show someone "how much they know" when in fact, most times either they spew so much info it's useless, OR they don't know jack diddly doodoo, or both.

If someone was asking "what cam for my money making drag car?" then heck yeah we'll go to the mat and get the best possible power maker. BUT 1) I'm doin this for free and 2) 99% of guys who ask about cams "just want something" that sounds decent, runs good and is fun to drive that will be reliable for years to come and not beat the valve train all to hell in a year or two while being quiet doing it.

That said, for most street builds, you can close your eyes and pick ANY brand off the shelf that's "around" .500 lift, 230 @.050 and ground on a 110 and you got a goodun. All the arguing be damned.
And bigger duration for bigger motor. Smaller for smaller cubes. My take on it.

And bigger duration for bigger motor. Smaller for smaller cubes. My take on it.

Of course. That's why I used "about". To me camshaft selection is one of the slap easiest things to do. ....and I've built a pile of engines. Probably left a pile of power on the table according to some, but there's a lot of black marks on the road too.

lead69 what was you mph?
The poorer flowing the heads the bigger the cam you need to make peak power (no street idle gas mileage bs). A 360 with 318 heads is a fat man sucking through a straw and it needs all the help it can get to breath. I believe the reason mp cams were so big on duration and not lift was the factory heads flowed like crap at moderate lift so add some extra duration=more cylinder filling time. That 360 ran like a healthy big block 383 with a 280 cam, it would roast the tires at 30 mph and was a beast from 2k-5k, shifted at 5,400 ran shitty times due to street tires but 103-105 mph. It did alot better than anyone would have believed including me lol.

Well that "right there" tells me all I need to know. If "you don't think" the Whiplash and Thumpr cams work, you're peein in a fan. Cause buddy, lemmie tell you, they DO. I agree "there are probably" better selections, but for what they are they do work well. I don't know of anyone who has one that's not happy with both how it sounds and how it runs.

All that said, that type grinding is nothing new under the sun. Crower was doing it 50 plus years ago with their Hydraulic Hauler series. BIG duration split, LONG exhaust duration and a tight LSA.

You just gained all the credibility in the world of a keyboard commando with your comments. "Fool things"? Hardly. Optimal? Maybe not.........but they DO WORK.
I agree the thumprs work, short on lift imo but they make power and ton of low end. I liked the hydraulic haulers but dont forget the lunati streetmaster series, they had a good amount of lift for the duration and a 108 ls.

I agree the thumprs work, short on lift imo but they make power and ton of low end. I liked the hydraulic haulers but dont forget the lunati streetmaster series, they had a good amount of lift for the duration and a 108 ls.

Yes those are good, too, I agree, and believe it or not, I actually like the Lunati "High Efficiency" series. Tiny by some standards, but they are arguably good grinds. There are just so many different ways to get it done, there's just not one "best way".

This is basically the same thing I've been doing for a long time. Installing 284/484 108LSA camshafts at 100-102 in any 340-360, high compression, low compression, doesn't matter. It WORKS, end of story.

I've seen PLENTY of 340-360's with the same cam installed straight up that run like garbage on the street. Bad idle tune up all the way up. Just junk. Turned some of them around, others couldn't be bothered with a way to make it work and blamed the poor cam selection. Sometimes you have to figure out how to make what you have work.

Thumpr, whiplash, rattler all are the same principle. Longer duration, tighter LSA and install way ahead. People have been doing it since the 60's for sure. Not a new concept.

Last edited:
This is basically the same thing I've been doing for a long time. Installing 284/484 108LSA camshafts at 100-102 in any 340-360, high compression, low compression, doesn't matter. It WORKS, end of story.

I've seen PLENTY of 340-360's with the same cam installed straight up that run like garbage on the street. Bad idle tune up all the way up. Just junk. Turned some of them around, others couldn't be bothered with a way to make it work and blamed the poor cam selection. Sometimes you have to figure out how to make what you have work.

Thumpr, whiplash, rattler all are the same principle. Longer duration, tighter LSA and install way ahead. People have been doing it since the 60's for sure. Not a new concept.
Amen, especially on a low compression engine!.

you have to be a juggler and keep all your balls in the air in the same time
too much advance works fine on the intake close but opens the exhaust early which kills mileage and also power on a low compression motor
optimize all four valve events
Cam design software can help

Thumper - 14* split @.050, 107lsa

Bootlegger - 12* split @.050, 108lsa

Rattler - 8* split @.050, 109lsa

If you had a combo that could use it, I always thought the MP 484 and 509 cams sounded pretty tough...... single pattern 108lsa.

I like single pattern cams for a lot of these old school builds........ and some not so old school builds.

I don't have to juggle anything.

If I'm putting a XE274H, 284/484, 508 or any other cam that has better than 230 at .050 duration in my engine to run the 1/4, mileage is not a major concern. No way a 204/.050 .420 lift cam even in a low compression engine (8.0-8.5) deal is gonna run with a xe274H with a good tune up, unless it has a juice plate on it. I'll crank that bigger cam forward and run the life out of that dinky cam.

Agreed Duane... the 284 and 508/509 cams are gnarly sounding for sure. I have a 508 in a 340, sounds like tarzan, runs like jane... I didn't build the engine and I'll bet the cam is straight up 108. Even locking out the timing at 36 degrees doesn't help it off the bottom, tight shelf converter... just trash. Can't wait to jerk the engine out and "fix" it.

Theory meet racetrack... so much nonsense in these threads anymore.

-
Back