Can a 400BBM w/cheap aluminum heads compete/dominate against the street LS?

-
Just what are "well-sorted LS street engines" anyway? The whole question is to damn vague for me.

Just look at all his posts. He's the most vague and convoluted person you'll ever see. lol

Just what are "well-sorted LS street engines" anyway? The whole question is to damn vague for me.
Like what you build sir.
An LS engine (6.2 Liter-408ci, LS7 -entry level, but without problems, if 408 stroker built, best probable cam, include their fuel injection wiring harness.-the real top end entry level contenders-allot like the way your family built big blocks!

Like what you build sir.
An LS engine (6.2 Liter-408ci, LS7 -entry level, but without problems, if 408 stroker built, best probable cam, include their fuel injection wiring harness.-the real top end entry level contenders-allot like the way your family built big blocks!
There is a 6.2 LS sitting in my driveway backed by a 8 speed tranny in a 3750 lb car. Yes, you can build a N/A 400 to beat it.

I think the answer is he needs a 787 HP 451 and you have one. lol

use the parts you have ,spend on good pistons, and give Dave Hughes a call about the cam and rockers. and live with it. you'll win some , lose some. Chances are you 'll love the high reving big block.

I'm a big believer in the 400 bored .035 over then stroked to a 451. Still can find RB forged 3.75" cranks. With minimal machining to cut for B-block use. Plenty of piston/rod combos. (That will depend on your head selection.) If using closed chambers like that of B1/BS heads? You end up at about 12.8:1 compression. (Flattops near zero deck.. What I now have on my 10 sec Duster. Running E-85 fuel) I replaced my heavily ported iron 452s 88 cc that were pump gas high 10 sec build. (At about 10.25:1) I call the 451 a big block that thinks it's a small block. A little hairy for the street. So watch your right foot? Especially if you run a spool in the rear? Easy around the corners.

Last edited:
You should have seen his 361 build in 2011!!
:thumbsup: They had many good builds including a 426 small block everyone seems to have forgot about.
I wonder if someone showed up at their shop door with a fist full of cash if they would come out of retirement for one more build.

:thumbsup: They had many good builds including a 426 small block everyone seems to have forgot about.
I wonder if someone showed up at their shop door with a fist full of cash if they would come out of retirement for one more build.
or Kansas.... 9k rpm's

or Kansas.... 9k rpm's
He needed to be forgot about.
The only thing turning 9000 RPM was his brain coming up with his BS.
I wonder if he ever got done casting his new designed cylinder head. lol

He needed to be forgot about.
The only thing turning 9000 RPM was his brain coming up with his BS.
I wonder if he ever got done casting his new designed cylinder head. lol
sorry, I had to....
:)

I have run up against my share of big boost small motors. They are very fast for season one. But fall apart. Even the Hellcats don't last long on any race circuit. My 451 is 10sec flat. Single carb. N/A. I saw a Pro charged Mustang running low 9s. Never saw him again. I would be scared to throw any power adder to my Duster. Maybe a single 200 shot? But that's it. Power adders are for cheaters. Lol.

I have run up against my share of big boost small motors. They are very fast for season one. But fall apart. Even the Hellcats don't last long on any race circuit. My 451 is 10sec flat. Single carb. N/A. I saw a Pro charged Mustang running low 9s. Never saw him again. I would be scared to throw any power adder to my Duster. Maybe a single 200 shot? But that's it. Power adders are for cheaters. Lol.

That's kinda how I've always felt.

F#rk the LS anything.... so tired of them being bowed to, as much as they are.

Please tell us a little about your car and motor.

76 Aspen R/T,
400BBM block, speedmaster heads,
3 speed manual
1974 police 9 1/4 axle, am going to change gears-not selected
I have front and rear sway bars for it, and subframe connectors, 5 leaf-leaf springs,
Polyurethane bushings
...blank canvas, just wondering if building a street machine would be competitive.

My LS experience is hauling LS engines from the junkyard for my co-worker.
He has a AMC Spirit, with a completly stock 5.3 except it has a set of headers, aluminum intake and a holley carb, th350 trans, and a early bronco 9" all junkyard parts, but he did rebuild the trans himself and add a 3500 stall converter.
Nothing at all was done to the engine but pressure wash and painted.
12.5 sec in the 1/4 on street drag radials spinning down the track.
It is pretty impressive for how low buck it is.

I stopped over his place yesterday to say hi, and he was mocking up and old trashed chevy truck to play with, He was making the exhaust 5" for the huge turbo he put in the truck.
This engine he actually put some money in, so it is going to be stupid fast.

3000 lb '74 Duster. The motor you heard. Cam profile is pretty tame with flat mechanical lifters at .590 lift. Someone before me made a very clever steel tilt front end. That makes any maintenance and cool down certainly easier. 727 reverse manual valve body trans. To 8 3/4 Mosier axled w/spool rear. 4.56:1 gears. On 30x10.5 slicks. 8 point cage. MSD AL with a 2 step line lock launch control (no trans break) launching at near 3000 rpm. Shift at 6500. 7500 redline Rev limitor.

It's not street ready with lights/signals or horn. But could be with minimal effort

Recycler.JPG

View attachment DusterClip (2).JPG

Like what you build sir.
Well I've built 383 Chevies and 347 Fords but never a LS engine, so..............having no experience to fall back on I should stay out of this discussion.

You should have seen his 361 build in 2011!!
Oh, and...........I've never built a 361, not in 2011......not ever. Now my Dad did build one in 1959, ran over 150 mph at Bonneville that year.

If it's built for a purpose and if you don't mind spending the $ on good fuel you can do it rather cheap. You really are not going to drive it much so the fuel will not kill ya. I'll be right back.
Sorry for the delay. Anyways some basics about 13.5 - 14.0 comp a modern solid lifter cam about 268 - 274 dur @ .050 some decent rods (eagle or such) single plane tall manifold 950 carb. should be a killer set up, now a 8 inch convertor a set of small slicks should be over the top for most ls's. It would be a cheap build and easy on parts. Look for used convertor, manifold and carb. slicks and use a trans shield. You will just love it. And a stroker is always great if you got the extra $$$. And it is fully streetable.

3000 lb '74 Duster. The motor you heard. Cam profile is pretty tame with flat mechanical lifters at .590 lift. Someone before me made a very clever steel tilt front end. That makes any maintenance and cool down certainly easier. 727 reverse manual valve body trans. To 8 3/4 Mosier axled w/spool rear. 4.56:1 gears. On 30x10.5 slicks. 8 point cage. MSD AL with a 2 step line lock launch control (no trans break) launching at near 3000 rpm. Shift at 6500. 7500 redline Rev limitor.

It's not street ready with lights/signals or horn. But could be with minimal effort

View attachment 1715712259

View attachment 1715712260
Very very nice.

Sorry for the delay. Anyways some basics about 13.5 - 14.0 comp a modern solid lifter cam about 268 - 274 dur @ .050 some decent rods (eagle or such) single plane tall manifold 950 carb. should be a killer set up, now a 8 inch convertor a set of small slicks should be over the top for most ls's. It would be a cheap build and easy on parts. Look for used convertor, manifold and carb. slicks and use a trans shield. You will just love it. And a stroker is always great if you got the extra $$$. And it is fully streetable.
My 451 is close to thous numbers. I believe a little less compression. (Block was not decked to build. Thus pistons are a tick in the hole.) I'm guessing around 12.5:1. Running to a 1050 E-85 metered Holley 4150 style carb. (E-85 to accommodate the higher compression.)

The jury is still out on my thoughts of E-85? Does go thru more fuel. And needs flushing more frequent. Smells a little funny? Lol. But in Minnesota? ALOT cheaper than race gas.

-
Back