Can I get away with stock 318 exhaust manifolds on Magnum crate engine?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I just struck a deal with another FABO member for a nice lightly used Magnum 300 crate engine that will replace my old 318.

Until I can wrangle up some more cash, I am hoping to run my stock 318 manifolds.

What do you think? will I be able o get away with these for a while? Will they really strangle the engine?

Thanks for any opinions!

I just struck a deal with another FABO member for a nice lightly used Magnum 300 crate engine that will replace my old 318.

Until I can wrangle up some more cash, I am hoping to run my stock 318 manifolds.

What do you think? will I be able o get away with these for a while? Will they really strangle the engine?

Thanks for any opinions!

Depending on the year and type of your 318 manifolds, they may not cover the larger exhaust ports on the 360 engine.

Russ

I have seen pictures which suggest that some magnum cylinder heads have a larger divider between the middle ports.

Can someone comfirm that whether this is a port spacing difference or just the size of the ports that are different?

moparperformancertheadele9.jpg
2008_12190018.jpg

Thanks, guys. The seller is currently running stock 340 manifolds...doesn't that mean the 318 manifolds should also at least fit over the exhaust ports?

As for the $100 headers..probably not great ones, correct?

DYNO tests showed 11 hp difference between 340 manifolds and std perf manif's
you wont feel 11 hp in the seat of the pants meter

choose you manifold gaskets carefully the ports are different on la/magnum heads

i have seen la gaskets in this config that leaked

most of the good gasket manufacturers make a gasket that will work for both manifolds

I have the 340 manifolds on my magnum headed 340 and the port is taller on the manifold than on the head. Since the port is not as tall on a 318 manifold, it should bolt up and seal fine.

Yes, it will choke the motor down, especially if you have a small diameter exhaust system. But the 360 crate engine will be a lot more fun than the 318.

-
Back