Can I put her on her wheels?

-

dusterman79

Reaction score
Hey guys, I currently have my 74' Duster up on safety stands in my garage. I have them under the frame structure points. I have most of the floor removed in preparation for a complete floor pan replacement, but am not near done with it yet. I want to pull the engine out but only have about a foot between the grille and garage wall. I would like to know if anybody has had their Duster on all 4rs with the floor out? I would like to have it able to roll for engine/tranny removal, but want to make sure I'm not going to tweak things or damage any structures. If anybody's done so with good or bad results could chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

My thoughts? Pull it. If the frame 'springs' a little by putting it on it's feet, it will spring back once you jack it up again.
But that's just me.

I wouldn't do it until you put the pan back in it you're just asking for trouble. You could go though and stitch weld some braces in all along where the pan normally sits and probably be okay. But I think if it were me I would just go ahead and finish the pan project before I start the engine project

I hope you have some structure welded in place before removing the floor weather its on stands or wheels. If its supported then it don't matter either way.

I know a guy that replaced his floor on stands and didn't put in supports before hand, the car was so out of shape when the new floor was installed, the car was junk and nothing would fit right

I wouldn't chance it. You have to remember just about every thing in a unit body is structural, especially the floor.

Are the rockers in it and in good shape? If so, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Yeah the rockers are solid for sure. The floor is already mostly out already. I have all spot-welds cut out and main section of the floor removed. Like I mentioned, it's on stands at the structure points but was kinda' scared about letting her down without checking with some of you Mopar pros to see if any have heard good or bad on this. If it's doable I'm gonna have at it, but if it's going to really frick something up, well that's maybe different lol.

-
Back