Can I use the defroster if I have bypassed the heater core?

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
The heater core was leaking onto the passenger floor so I bypassed it. It never gets cold enough to worry about it here near the coast. But I am wondering if I will hurt anything by turning on the defroster. Will it do anything at all? I thought if it was fogged up the air blowing on it might help. Otherwise I will just carry a towel with me on the few days I have to worry about it.

Thanks
Tim

Shouldn't hurt anything, it will just blow cooler air, still would defrost a little too if needed, here in MN, you would need the heat!!

It won't do you any real good. The blower motor blows air through the heater core. If you have bypassed the heater core then its not hot= no warm air for defrost.

It won't do you any real good. The blower motor blows air through the heater core. If you have bypassed the heater core then its not hot= no warm air for defrost.

Uh.............he seems to be in Culver city?............. I'd say if you can stand the cold feet, the air blowing will probably be enough. I don't think it really frosts much down there, although I DO remember one time in San Diego.........

Yes, I think the cold air will do okay. The only condensation I get on the inside glass is from me breathing after I took a sip of my coffee....lol.

My Dart does not have a heater any more. Some times she will want to frost up on me. I crack the wing window and it helps.

I have yet to see the windows frost in the 7 years I have been down here. (from Bay/Sacramento area) Thanks for the info. If I was somewhere colder, like where my folks are from in Kenosha Wisconsin, I would have replaced the heater core. Here, I am fine with the temp. LA weather forecast is a cliche for a reason I guess.

it won't hurt anything, it will help a bit but not near as much as if you had a heater core hooked up because, as was said, it is not warm air,

Uh.............he seems to be in Culver city?............. I'd say if you can stand the cold feet, the air blowing will probably be enough. I don't think it really frosts much down there, although I DO remember one time in San Diego.........

In my defence. Down here, come time to need a defroster. It better blow warm air

As a defroster, It's unlikely you'll need it. As a defogger, it might help some but without A/C, they're marginal at best. It won't hurt the car to run it but bring the towel with you anyway!

You can buy an electric defroster for <$10 on sale at Harbor Freight. I recently got one for my son in San Diego since the heater core on his Mercedes 300D was bypassed when I bought it. He whined that it was marginal. Funny that same week, Car Talk handled a question from a lady in Santa Cruz. They said she didn't need a heater there, well maybe, but not if she lived in San Diego. I told him to pick a sunny day to drive back for Xmas.

I used an electric one for a while on several cars in Atlanta. At least it clears a peep-hole. That said, I got a new heater core for both my 65 Dart and 65 Newport recently. I recall ~$25 and $55, resp, maybe both from rockauto. The Mercedes is tougher since new ones "not avail" and people ask $50 for used ones. It is a funky 3-tube type with high-density fins and plastic reservoirs, similar to the Behr models for semis. Since no German winters here, I got a new heater core for a Caravan cheap that I will adapt.

don't bring it out the valley, you'll need that thing blowing warm to get the frost off some mornings :D

It will definately help when its rainy and your windows are up. Wont hurt anything.

A heater core is only $40 bucks, fix it.
It is super easy in a A body.

It is super easy in a A body.

I would say "fairly easy" if a non-factory AC car. If factory air, the heater core is behind the AC evaporator and I recall you have to vent the refrigerant to remove the climate box. At least I had to on my 69 Dart. If so, and you have Freon, consider alternative refrigerants.

-
Back