Can you change vent and filler tube

-

72SwingerJosh

Reaction score
Can you change a new car with a charcoal vent can to the older vent style like the 1969 swinger by changing the tank and filler tube I was thinking of changing mine over to this older style to get rid of the can under the hood.

Sure it’s possible. And you don’t necessarily need to change the tank if yours is good. Just plug all other ports off of the tank besides the one to the fuel pump. You will need the right gas cap.

I've got a decent filler tube from a 70 Swinger if you want to trade for your '72 charcoal canister. You'll have to source a gas cap though.

I've got a decent filler tube from a 70 Swinger if you want to trade for your '72 charcoal canister. You'll have to source a gas cap though.

I’ll let you know once I figure out if it is what I want to do. I’m going to get a new tank anyways so if the tube will work with no problems I might go that route. I would like to here from someone that’s done the swap first hand before I pull the trigger tho. Thanks.

Just plug all other ports off of the tank besides the one to the fuel pump
Must have one vent open, if the filler neck has a dedicated vent like 67 has, then capping all the charcoal canaster vents is fine.

I have heard of tanks collapsing from all the vents being plugged

Must have one vent open, if the filler neck has a dedicated vent like 67 has, then capping all the charcoal canaster vents is fine.

I have heard of tanks collapsing from all the vents being plugged
That is what the OP is asking about. Using a 69 fill neck. Which has a separate vent line.

Bear in mind that "at some point" there was a change

Earlier cars with no EVAP the filler tube went into the INSIDE of the trunk
Later cars WITH evap the filler could be shoved in from the outside of the quarter panel

vent for a 1970 Dart (assuming it's not a CA emissions car) is off a nipple on the filler tube and runs through a metal line through the trunk floor/filler tube rubber gasket into the frame (and just ends!). No vented cap needed, but the vent line is. This is one of the "mount from inside the trunk style" mentioned in the last post. It's that nipple for the vent that keeps you from putting the filler tube in from the outside.

vent for a 1970 Dart (assuming it's not a CA emissions car) is off a nipple on the filler tube and runs through a metal line through the trunk floor/filler tube rubber gasket into the frame (and just ends!). No vented cap needed, but the vent line is.
68 and 69 are ran the same way.

If you can silver braze/ braze/ weld, I would not be the least afraid to mod the late filler. I was thinking of "slanting" the 1/4" vent into the filler neck so that it sticks up very little then "maybe" just notching the quarter panel hole for clearance. If you do that right, you should be able to have the flange/ gasket cover the notch

I used to do this when installing schraeder valve stubs or sight glasses into large refer tube Drill/ punch a hole, then use a large awl to deform the hole so it's angled. In this case angled steeply. Lay the 1/4" in there bend it some so it's lying flat as you can against the large tube, and silver braze it into place

I looked and found someone that bought the 1969 filler neck and he said it is the same as the 70 he needed. The only difference was the vent line. He said he just used his existing one. I’m not sure what the difference would have been.

I have a 68 filler neck and it is exactly like the one in my 69. I just replaced the tank in my 69 Dart and it I identical to the One I took out of a 68. Vent line runs along the back of the filler tube then passes thru the floor pan gasket and ends up in a hole in the frame rail.

I have a 68 filler neck and it is exactly like the one in my 69. I just replaced the tank in my 69 Dart and it I identical to the One I took out of a 68. Vent line runs along the back of the filler tube then passes thru the floor pan gasket and ends up in a hole in the frame rail.
Does your filler tube just screw to the inside of the quarter panel with the gasket inside. I was wondering what keeps it from leaking.

Does your filler tube just screw to the inside of the quarter panel with the gasket inside. I was wondering what keeps it from leaking.

Leaking at the quarter panel? The gas cap keeps it from leaking.

72 SwingerJosh do you mean water leaking into the trunk? There is a gasket between the filler flange and the body and the filler tube installs from the inside not the outside so the filler flange is inside the trunk.

72 SwingerJosh do you mean water leaking into the trunk? There is a gasket between the filler flange and the body and the filler tube installs from the inside not the outside so the filler flange is inside the trunk.
Yes that is what I was asking. It just seems like it wouldn’t be very strong to just have the screws holding the filler neck tight to the inside of the body and I wondered if it leaked easily.

Yes that is what I was asking. It just seems like it wouldn’t be very strong to just have the screws holding the filler neck tight to the inside of the body and I wondered if it leaked easily.
My 69 Dart has never leaked. That I know of.

On a 67-69, three screws go from outside the quarter panel and screw into the fuel fill neck.

67 -69 Dart filler tube.

Screenshot_20210408-211716.png

There is a flange on the filler tube and a hole in the quarter

From outside the car we have:

3 screws
Quarter panel
Gasket
Filler neck flange.
PXL_20210223_004405606.jpg

In 50 years of 70 Darts I've had lots of leaks, but never one there, and the repop gaskets are even more substantial than the originals - tighter closed cell foam.

Only problem that I had was to rebend the vent line a little here and there down by the trunk floor. New line comes with a new filler neck, you will have to make a hole in the floor gasket for the vent line.

Bear in mind that the evap fillers WITHOUT the vent tube go in from outside, and the 69/ earlier WITH the vent tube must go in from the INSIDE of the trunk. I have a 74 in "body shop hell" I'm not sure what I will do. I may braze a flush fitting into the tube, still allowing it to insert from outside, or may drop the tank and either install a 69 filler or otherwise mod the 74.

Another issue with the EVAP filler tubes is the silly nonsensical changes in filler caps over the years.

a7e0abed-86e9-453f-8b4b-403eac560856-jpeg.jpg

Bear in mind that the evap fillers WITHOUT the vent tube go in from outside, and the 69/ earlier WITH the vent tube must go in from the INSIDE of the trunk. I have a 74 in "body shop hell" I'm not sure what I will do. I may braze a flush fitting into the tube, still allowing it to insert from outside, or may drop the tank and either install a 69 filler or otherwise mod the 74.

Another issue with the EVAP filler tubes is the silly nonsensical changes in filler caps over the years.

View attachment 1715720728
FYI. I just put a new tank in my 69 Dart. I mounted the tank loosely and i was able to install the filler neck from the inside without much truouble.

-
Back