Can You Help A Girl Out?

-

Bea

Dodge Damsel
Reaction score
Well, as you all know...I'm such a "Newbie" at this and I am trying my best to get the Lancer in tip top shape to use as a daily driver. I've been to a couple of places for help on some stuff, but really need someone who can help me or at least show me how to do the repairs. She just needs an overall "look-see" and tackle what needs to be done. I would do it my self, but in all honesty...I'm not sure what to look or listen for. Trying to learn as I go...but in a time crunch now.

My other vehicle is a "lease" and is going back at the end of Feb. (too much $$$) So, I will need to rely on the Lancer.

Is there anyone out there who lives in my area that can help me out? Need someone who knows "what in the hell they are doing" or if you know of someone, please let me.

I'm in Lakeland, FL (Polk County) on the County Line of Hillsborough County & Plant City, FL

1962 Dodge Lancer GT - 225 /6 Alumn

~ Many Thanks, Bea

I'm sure someone from your area will chime in and help you out, this forum is filled with awesome people. You came to the right place for help.

Bea, have you looked at the FABO Members Map yet? You might find quite a few people close by; I know we've got a bunch in Florida. Your thread title's great though! It should bring them out in force ...... who can deny a lady in distress???? LOL

C'mon Florida white knights!!! Put on the armor (or at least some safety glasses), grab those toolboxes and climb on your trusty steed (or just take the car). :-D

You could start with pictures so that the members who can't come to your rescue can still help from afar :) Show us what you need help with.

Let me check flight ticket prices. Sorry wish I was closer. Post a pic of you with your car as bait. Lol

Thanks again for all the great responses! Here's the deal...About 2 weeks ago I replaced the exhaust manifold (old one was cracked in 1/2) cleaned everything really, really good, installed exhaust manifold, replaced thermostat & gasket, cleaned carburetor...it seems to be running hot about 2 to 3 miles down the road. Have some good info on flushing the radiator, etc. Just can't figure why it runs at 3/4 of the way "H" on the gauge...still!

Here's the pics of the work I've done so far myself & a funny one just for sh*ts & giggles...just giving a whole new meaning of "Putting A Little A** Behind It!" * yes...I was working in my P.J.'s (comfy)! :coffee2:

View attachment Lancer4.jpg

View attachment Maifolds 003.jpg

View attachment Manifold 003.jpg

View attachment Manifold2 002.jpg

View attachment Me & Sister 005.jpg

it is quite possible that the gauge is not giving an accurate reading, it is not uncommon for the stock gauge or sender unit to be off, even more so when they get old

Flushing would be my first step. If you havent done it since you have owned the car it its worth it just to get it done. Throw in a new thermostat there cheap enough. My way might not be the same as everyone elses. Get some of that prestone cleaner you add it and let it run for a bit. Then drain keep the water hose to keep it filling till you see clean water coming out. Then ad back in antifreeze till you see the green coming out. This is messy so doing it in the grass is smart and have a big enough bucket to hold the coolant so you dont get that all over. Just keep water in it wont hurt a thing that water wont be in there long enough to cause overheating. Remove thermostat before you do this. 40 year old car needs some love. Oh keep the return line off so its flushing and you can see the crap coming out.

My girl was getting hot but I was reading on temp gage, I relied on it and it was wrong.
Are you very sure it's full of water ? They need to be burped so to speak sometimes
When the radiator and engine was drained and then refilled there coud be some blockage in the water system. Can you see water flowing good with your radiator cap off?

No matter what you do next...PLEASE get rid of that plastic fuel filter. Sure...not likely....but I've seen the results when they do go...NOT pretty!!! Good job on your repairs!!

StrokerScamp, He! He! My sister came over an started taking pics...ya' got to have fun when ya' work!

Iggy, I'll recheck the T-Stat.

Caferacerx, the temp sender is on, but way old...I have one comingin by Friday.

72ScampTramp, I flushed the radiator after I bought it and did the steps you have mentioned.

Mr.318, it ran hot "before" the manifold swap as well.

MeMike, she is full of water & anti-freeze (Burped ???)

Hemi Orange Duster, Thanks for the link...I'll try it.

& a thanks to Slant6Dan!

That's what it's all about!!! Have fun......and the project wont go well until you bleed for it at least once or twice...:)

Bea, the more I get to know you, the more I like ya!!! :-D That last picture is fabulous (don't worry, I wasn't checkin out your butt -- I don't swing that way LOL) and believe me girl, at 5'0 I've been there myself a time or two. (Had to buy a step stool just to do a tune up on my F350 dually crew cab.)

You're getting great advice so far!

Do you have a fan shroud on that motor? It doesn't look like it in the pics, but it may have just not been reinstalled yet. Sometimes that can make them run hot too.

first thing you gotta lose the thongs,do you have a timing light?Does it kick back on the starter?This is only after you have tried the flushing.

I recommend getting one of the laser temperature readers. It may not be actually overheating, but it may be the gauge or sender is questionable. Using the little laser gun, you can measure the temp on upper rad hose, lower hose, etc.

This will tell you if it is getting hot (210+ or so)or if the sendor / gauge is giving you a bad reading, or if the radiator is questionable (upper and lower hose are about the same temperature, instead of a big change).

THONGS??? Maybe you mean flip flops? :-D

Makes me think of the Sandra Bullock movie Miss Congeniality. Michael Caine suggests a little Preparation H (for the "little baggies under [her] eyes") and Sandra says "I didn't realize the judges would be looking that closely!"

Anyway Miss Bea, ya gotta protect the toes while you're working on the car. Open shoes are a garage/driveway NO NO. The Hot Mopar Babes can get away with it ... but none of them are working on the car. :-D

first thing you gotta lose the thongs,do you have a timing light?Does it kick back on the starter?This is only after you have tried the flushing.

Thong...what thong? He! He! Gonna have to check on this one!

-
Back