Can you help id this slant six..!?

-
Reaction score
I am reaching out to get a little bit of help identifying an engine. I have read as much as I can on the forum to properly identify, however this is an interesting case. I am looking to replace the slant six in my 1973 Gold Duster 225/904 auto—-current one has nearly 1 inch of crank end play but still runs surprisingly well.

I have an engine that was purported to be from a 1968 Plymouth Valiant with a three speed manual transmission. I have nowhere I’ve actually proving that this information is accurate. I ended up getting the engine over 12 years ago from a guy who got it from a guy who may have gotten it from a guy. You know how that story is.

The casting number on the block indicates a 1966 cast. It is a 3 freeze plug block and the 10,000 day calendar date indicates it was built July 27, 1967—right at the point where it could have been a 67 or 68 model.

Given all of the conflicting info I am very hesitant to try and use this engine.

Am I missing something with the info I have found or could this engine just be a freak of Mopar? Is there any other way of checking the crank counter bore to make sure it will work with a later transmission? Is it possible it’s an old block with new (68–up) internals. Or given it was a manual car could they have just used an old (67) engine if it was an early build? Or maybe it was just a 67 to begin with...?????

I have an opportunity to get a 1971 slant that I know will work. The freak motor could then be scrapped to help the Chinese expansion efforts. Or it could be yours if you want to come get it. The price will be right. I’ll help load it well. Or if anyone is interested in a really nice 73 Gold Duster with a bad slant six—let me know. You could save me the trouble of the swap.

Any help is appreciated.

@slantsixdan—I know you are very knowledgeable with this. Enjoy your slant six insight.

Thank.

E47807F4-2F58-4A17-B335-ECE3DC73A7E1.jpeg

2B78B316-5D46-4800-92BE-501B2E06B6C8.jpeg

If it's a 66 block it will not mate to your 68 and up transmission cause of the crank diameter difference s the other was around it I'll with a crank adapter

I clicked on turtle creek and it came back with Pittsburgh PA

I'm looking for a 66 225 if you decide not to use it.
Pics of the car, man; don't tease us,lol.
and WTH is TurtleCreek? how can I google you , oh wait.... Nope google don't know either, is it a super secret underground bunker?

Outside of Pittsburgh, Pa

Not the best photos in the world but a solid car. Completely redone mechanically—needs an engine. More new stuff than I could list in this post

7DFAF9F9-2DFE-4BB5-8A55-986D0318D4BF.jpeg

B73A8688-36F3-4367-8598-219AD36F60E2.jpeg

I'm looking for a 66 225 if you decide not to use it.

If the consensus is that it will not work in this car—all you need to do is come get it. I’ll help load. It’s all the conflicting info I have that perplexes me. The 66 cast date—the 67 build date—and that I was told it came from a 68!!!

It’s clean and nearly complete—no alt or ps—everything else.

I am reaching out to get a little bit of help identifying an engine. I have read as much as I can on the forum to properly identify, however this is an interesting case. I am looking to replace the slant six in my 1973 Gold Duster 225/904 auto—-current one has nearly 1 inch of crank end play but still runs surprisingly well.

I have an engine that was purported to be from a 1968 Plymouth Valiant with a three speed manual transmission. I have nowhere I’ve actually proving that this information is accurate. I ended up getting the engine over 12 years ago from a guy who got it from a guy who may have gotten it from a guy. You know how that story is.

The casting number on the block indicates a 1966 cast. It is a 3 freeze plug block and the 10,000 day calendar date indicates it was built July 27, 1967—right at the point where it could have been a 67 or 68 model.

Given all of the conflicting info I am very hesitant to try and use this engine.

Am I missing something with the info I have found or could this engine just be a freak of Mopar? Is there any other way of checking the crank counter bore to make sure it will work with a later transmission? Is it possible it’s an old block with new (68–up) internals. Or given it was a manual car could they have just used an old (67) engine if it was an early build? Or maybe it was just a 67 to begin with...?????

I have an opportunity to get a 1971 slant that I know will work. The freak motor could then be scrapped to help the Chinese expansion efforts. Or it could be yours if you want to come get it. The price will be right. I’ll help load it well. Or if anyone is interested in a really nice 73 Gold Duster with a bad slant six—let me know. You could save me the trouble of the swap.

Any help is appreciated.

@slantsixdan—I know you are very knowledgeable with this. Enjoy your slant six insight.

Thank.

View attachment 1715209355

View attachment 1715209359

@slantsixdan Any thoughts...?

Poissibly industrial?

Possible. I assume 67 motors were using the 66 block?
But it does have all the ps brackets and items to suggest it was in a car at some point.

Possible it was not the motor that car started with...this was well over a decade ago

The July 27, 1967 build date (if I’m correct) is also confusing because at that point are the building new 67s or did they switch to 68s? It’s rather late in the model year. I’ve no idea how the factories worked back then.

But regardless is it the block or the crank that is the issue? Could it be the old block with the new crank or am I talking nonsense?

Me and my friend have a 68 slant 225 that was in the 65 Barracuda he recently bought.It was a running motor when we pulled it but that's all we know about it.We put in a 65 motor I had to make the car more correct.I know he wants to send it on it's way so if you are interested I'll talk to him about it and we can take the 66 motor when we bring it.I need a 66 block for my 66 Valiant convertible

Me and my friend have a 68 slant 225 that was in the 65 Barracuda he recently bought.It was a running motor when we pulled it but that's all we know about it.We put in a 65 motor I had to make the car more correct.I know he wants to send it on it's way so if you are interested I'll talk to him about it and we can take the 66 motor when we bring it.I need a 66 block for my 66 Valiant convertible
I have a lead on a good 72 motor. I’ll let you know how it works out or if I’ll take you up on the offer of the 68.

Let me know when you want to come out and pick up the 66.

I have a lead on a good 72 motor. I’ll let you know how it works out or if I’ll take you up on the offer of the 68.

Let me know when you want to come out and pick up the 66.
OK , I'll talk with you when I return from the motorcycle trip I have been on since last Thursday . That should be in a couple days on Friday. Thanks

-
Back