Can you ID this alternator?

-
Thanks for the help and schematics.

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia.

The corrosion in the engine compartment was caused when the previous owner covered everything under the hood with a moving blanket before storing the car outdoors for 3 years. He wrapped 2 tarps around the car also. You should have seen the interior. It was covered in mold.

Last edited:
caused when the previous owner covered everything under the hood with a moving blanket before storing the car outdoors for 3 years. He wrapped 2 tarps around the car also. You should have seen the interior. It was covered in mold
Oooof

That sucks.

BC is also a humid area, some friends from Oragon used to joke that in the summer they don't get a tan they get a rust.

90% of buyers would have passed on this car, but I thought it was worth saving as it’s very solid underneath. Plus, I have the only one on my block.

FWIW
Alan's pictures show how the wiring was originally routed and supported.
Early and mid year Firewall harness clip

Here's mine which has some extra wires on the inner fender for the MSD ignition.
upload_2022-7-9_9-16-56.png

Someone commented earlier about the alternator Batt terminal's insulation.
Usually looked like this
upload_2022-7-9_9-16-56.png

and on the inside the terminal (left) is insulated with a mica washer
upload_2022-7-9_9-19-11.png

Repair and "rebuilt" will sometimes use a rectifier with a stud instead of a bolt.
upload_2022-7-9_9-23-26.png
and use a different insulator.

If the bearings are good, all the other parts on your squareback can be removed, cleaned up or replaced with basic socket set.

upload_2022-7-9_9-12-10.png

-
Back