Can you remember why it was called Motel 6?

-

g413

Reaction score
If you're old like me, you probably can remember. So, there is an event in Sacramento (not car related) I usually go to every year, and I stay at the same Motel 6. Early last week I called to make a reservation: one room, one night. The lady starts out by telling me that there are a lot of events going on in the Sacramento on this weekend -- in other words, I better sit down.

The price was $200 + tax and fees. WTF? I looked at other hotel sites, and this was one of the cheapest! I took it. I showed up last night to check in, and there was some other poor guy, trying to get the last room available. The clerk told him $324, and he just walked out.

They're probably not willing to change the name to Motel 200 or Motel 300.

Geez that’s expensive price by demand. When I went to Oktoberfest in Munich I think I paid like 150$ just to sleep on the floor of a cheap hotel that’s how expensive it was.

Happens at a lot of places where there's a big show, jack the rates. They do it for concerts and sporting events too. When Brice Road died in 2009 during the Mopar Nationals, Comfort suites was still charging stations he premium rate, because of the show. They weren't even hooked over 20%! They didn't care when I brought that up, still charged me the $150 or whatever it was.

I live here, or the East side of Sacramento, in Rancho Cordova.
What was going on in town to have all the motels booked up, this past weekend?
Never heard of any big events on the news, or reading the Sacramento Bee, newspaper that i still subscribe to.
The biggest thing for a car nut around here was the opening of another Pick-n-Pull wrecking yard. lol

We got a Motel 6 right down on the main street from me, that i went by quite a few times driving around town, and their parking lot never looked out of the normal to me, with an overflow of cars.??

Last edited:
I live here, or the East side of Sacramento, in Rancho Cordova.
What was going on in town to have all the motels booked up, this past weekend?
Never heard of any big events on the news, or reading the Sacramento Bee, newspaper that i still subscribe to.
The biggest thing for a car nut around here was the opening of another Pick-n-Pull wrecking yard. lol

Aftershock music festival was all this weekend. Republic FC soccer game, the King’s first preseason game, there was another concert downtown I forget who was playing. Aftershock has been all over the news, that thing is huge-like 35k people attending.

Aftershock music festival was all this weekend. Republic FC soccer game, the King’s first preseason game, there was another concert downtown I forget who was playing. Aftershock has been all over the news, that thing is huge-like 35k people attending.
Well, i guess that answers that.
All those things that i don't follow, or have interest in, so wouldn't have known, or paid attention to on the news programs, or paper.

I understand the law of Supply and Demand, but for a Motel 6 to charge between $200 to $300 a night, just seems wrong.
BTW, maybe next year you Sacramento-area guys can charge $150 for your couch.

$900 for myself and my wife for a week in vegas, attending sema this year. includes resort fees.

I was thinking it might have something to do with the PG&E adventures of last week.

I wouldn’t think so? All the power has been restored. Sacramento county actually never lost power, we have our own power company (SMUD- Sacramento municipal utility district) which didn’t do any shut offs. Although I suppose if you were visiting the greater area a hotel with power would be more enjoyable than one without, even if it meant driving further.

If you're old like me, you probably can remember. .

Well I'm 71 and I don't recall that I ever knew. So why IS it called Motel 6? And Isn't there a Motel 8 or something?

Motel 6 was $6 for a room....Super 8 was $8.00. That was 1970's-ish.

Last edited:
I honestly cant say why it was called that. However for potential future stays. Check out AirBnB or VRBO. We typically stay at these now. Most of the time very reasonably priced and the privacy of a home. Its worth at least a look into.

I don't even remember, anymore, what the cheapest room I stayed in. I think I slept in Weed coming from San Diego (discharged or my brother's funeral, don't remember) in 73/74 for about 15-20 bucks. Since then there's been a few more that were almost as cheap

When doing the E911 installs, we stayed in a Mom and Pop in Ritzville that was really reasonable........except they had a central boiler and SHUT OFF THE HEAT. This was in cold weather, and I could have used some.

Yep, I definitely remember $6 for a room at Motel 6 and $8 for a room at Super 8. I also remember when they raised prices to $6.66 and $8.88 respectively. Have you seen the rooms in a Motel 6 lately. They look like George Jetson had a hand in design.

-
Back