can you tint white car paint?

-
Yes you certainly can tint fleet white paint. But here is the problem. Most people think that (when it comes to paint) black is black and white is white. I will agree to some extent, that as long as black paint does not have any pearl or metallic in it, there isn't usually a ton of difference between most blacks. Yes, there are some blacks that have a bit of green or whatever in them, but usually there isn't a ton of difference between non-metallic/pearl blacks. This cannot, however, be said for white. There are a zillion whites. Who knows what tinting agents are already in the fleet white? You could probably start with a fleet white and get close to a few stock Mopar colors. It depends on what color you want. If you start with a gallon of white, you could add a bunch of red tint, but you will still have pink. You want a nice blue? To get anything other than a light robin's egg blue you would have to add a ton of tint. Light colors like beige, light blue, cream, pale yellow and pink would be possible, but I don't see it possible to get any darker colors. There are budget paints available. I HIGHLY recommend the Restoration shop paint from the Color Library at TCP Global. I used their paint on my Barracuda 6 years ago. The paint sprayed, covered and flowed out as nicely as anything I had ever used, and it was less than half the cost of PPG. You can't argue with the results.
Cuda59.JPG
Cuda62.JPG

AND NOW another annoying story from the old days. "Once upon a time" my Dad had a parts store. He sold Acme automotive paint, back then, synthetic enamel, lacquer, and the then fairly new acrylic enamel.

One day someone calls up says something like "I need a XX of white code XYZ123 white."

I'm like ????? I said "what is this?"

"White!!" for WHITE!!

Well this goes on three Stooges style for a bit, and I'm getting REALLY frustrated.

It turns out is is WHITE TRUCK code whatever, WHITE COLOR

And it's true, there's no such thing as a "standard white" the way many think of "black"

I understand that Richard petty got his "Petty Blue" (B2 Blue Chrysler color) by mixing white and blue paint that he had around the shop, so I would say yes......

I made 50cc motorcycle in Ford electric orange pearl ( a glossy paint ) and put on a flat clear coat, it has stil the pearl effect in the sun. You can do almost everything, but write down the mixture, stages and products. Including primer! Its really hard to recreat the same shade of color in case of a repaint. White is sensitiv to the basecoats.

Paint base is white. A friend used the base white for the roof of his 55 Chevy. It is blindingly bright white.

I bought some paint at Home depot and the tint base was almost a clear, very light honey color. he had to add any color I needed by the machine , ie. white or red or whatever. I got a paint chip sample and took it to a body shop customer and he made me a 2oz touch up bottle. He said my 'sunburst silver' had a little green in it! It didnt really match unless its is supposed to have a clear on it. IIRC my paint job was a single stage.

I bought some paint at Home depot and the tint base was almost a clear, very light honey color. he had to add any color I needed by the machine , ie. white or red or whatever. I got a paint chip sample and took it to a body shop customer and he made me a 2oz touch up bottle. He said my 'sunburst silver' had a little green in it! It didnt really match unless its is supposed to have a clear on it. IIRC my paint job was a single stage.
Must be A4. Yes there is a little green in there.

Any pearl or metallic will use a basically "clear" base. if you add those type of pigments to white, the metallic will just be buried. But you can tint the white to make all kinds of colors, but they will be regular opaque colors.

-
Back