Can't bring myself to part this rare 340 car out

-

mopars4life

Reaction score
Picked up a 73 dart sport 340 4 speed convertriple car that had been hit while parked in the late 80s and left to sit. It is also an ac and rear defrost (with the grids), light package car. It was Fe5 red with a black bucket interior but had been redone into a show car at the time with custom paint and lift off hood. Had a full white vinyl top. The body is real rough on it. Would need drivers frame rail from accident, patch on pass rear frame rail, floors and trunk floor and extensions and quarters. Wheel well on drivers side as well. Would also need rocker patches and the bolt on panels up front (donor car would be the only way to go). Front subframe is good with a patch or two needed but the vinyl top killed the roof. Pretty rare with the convertriple option and 4 speed and AC. Has a posi 8 1/4 rear. Can't bring myself to part it out so I think it will just sit under a cover. The car is complete and looks to only have about 78k on it and motor was built and is not locked. I know it probably isn't worth saving but the combination makes it pretty rare. Just seeing what other members though. BTW no fender tag and can't find a build sheet for it yet.

I'm reasonably certain it doesn't have a posi.
it sounds more like scrap metal than project from your description.

Rusty Barbeau has never seen one! Show us some pics!

He actually said convertriple....convert-triple. It was an option with a sun roof, fold down back seat, and something else that I can't remember what it is! From the description, it sounds ruff as a cobb....but may be worth fixing if it's a numbers matching car.

"I'm reasonably certain it doesn't have a posi."
Why would you say this? Most 340 cars had sure grip.
I did have a 74 360 sport that was a one legger.
Its a 340 car, I wouldnt part it out. Not too far in the distant future I think the 73 340 cars will start bringing decent money. Enough to justify restoring the car. First thing would be to verify if its numbers matching. If not there is not much value there.

"I'm reasonably certain it doesn't have a posi."
Why would you say this? Most 340 cars had sure grip.
I did have a 74 360 sport that was a one legger.
Its a 340 car, I wouldnt part it out. Not too far in the distant future I think the 73 340 cars will start bringing decent money. Enough to justify restoring the car. First thing would be to verify if its numbers matching. If not there is not much value there.
Yes sorry sure grip 3.23 car.....Pics won't be nice I can promise that. Heard a drunk driver hit it. Without a fender tag and so far no build sheet I know that hits the value. will check the numbers on it though when I have a chance. I would bet it may be the original motor- it's an externally balanced 340 so it would have to have been out of an other 73 if not the original.

I have a 73 340, snorkel hood scoop, triple black, stripe delete, 3 on the floor, bucket seat, dart sport body with no title. It's stripped but still has fenders and doors on it.
It's rough but I could not bring myself to scrap it either.

I do have the fender tag for it tho.

because Chevies have posi's and mopars use sure grips . last I checked this is a Mopar forum.
that's why I would say that Mr mopar mike

Guys with time and talent can do it. Do you have either...to spare? Sounds like a labor of love if your wife can share it.

Get it to me you all know I won't have a problem stripping it. Lately I found it is more fun stripping them then fixing them. I am getting pretty darn good with the spot weld drill.

Get it to me you all know I won't have a problem stripping it. Lately I found it is more fun stripping them then fixing them. I am getting pretty darn good with the spot weld drill.
Time and talent are focused on other projects so this will probably sit. I am interested in preserving the hobby and cars and not just making a buck cutting another one up. I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

from your description its gonna take more time and money then it will ever be worth.

if it were me i'd add what kinda of money in parts i have sitting there and try to sell it whole for that or something close.. if it doesn't sell i'd part that ***** out in a heartbeat.

here ya go.. a convertible demon..

DSC00541.JPG

here ya go.. a convertible demon..

View attachment 1715159351
Maybe in today's values. I will stash it and look for a donor car possibly for the future. I know the value in parts cars for other projects, but with the cars getting harder to find now and the foreigners buying many, it makes it harder for the people here to get them. So I am more careful in what I would choose to cut up. I had a duster late last year that I got that was partially parted when I got it and real rusty that I harvested what I could off of and the guy after me was going to use what was left for a race car project. I will let everyone know if it is a #s matching car if I have a chance to check later.

Maybe in today's values. I will stash it and look for a donor car possibly for the future. I know the value in parts cars for other projects, but with the cars getting harder to find now and the foreigners buying many, it makes it harder for the people here to get them. So I am more careful in what I would choose to cut up. I had a duster late last year that I got that was partially parted when I got it and real rusty that I harvested what I could off of and the guy after me was going to use what was left for a race car project. I will let everyone know if it is a #s matching car if I have a chance to check later.

hey man do what you want with it.. like i said though it will have to be out of love for the car because its gonna require more time and money then it will ever be worth from what you describe. rare doesn't always mean desirable or valuable... just the way it is.. you want to restore it then go for it, its your time and money no one elses. i'm sure it will be cool when finished.

Understood - that's why it will just sit for now. Will see how the values look on them in the future - definitely more love than dollars on it now - agree with that. Now if I found a similar 340 Dart Sport or Duster optioned like it that was stripped but had a good structure, that could be an option - to help save the other car....

Rusty Barbeau has never seen one! Show us some pics!
I love it. I've been wondering about a new nick name with that new picture.

Time and talent are focused on other projects so this will probably sit. I am interested in preserving the hobby and cars and not just making a buck cutting another one up. I appreciate everyone’s feedback.
However, If cars aren't parted out, where will we get the hard to find parts????? If it was a 69 M code 440 car, a 64 Sport Fury 426 wedge car, or a 70 hemi Cuda convertible I'd agree to NOT part it out. But from the description (and for some strange reason no pictures were posted), it doesn't sound like a rare car. If you want to restore it, that's GREAT. I spent more time and money restoring my 69 fastback than it will ever be worth. All I am saying is that parting out a car allows MANY other cars to live on.

Could it be if more were restored, and less parted out/cut up, we may have more choices and availability with aftermarket parts??

I understand the OP trying to "save a car" that is not being made any longer, nor will ever be made again. Just have to be prepared to go upside down financially ......... for now. :D Think of what the price was on a lot of these muscle cars in the 80's, and "if we could only go back". Like my brother selling a solid, good running (and boy did it run!) '68 GTX for 1200 bucks.

-
Back