CAN'T FIND 1970 DART 340 HEATER CORE AND EVAPORATOR

-

Road Grabber

Reaction score
I am restoring my heater and AC box units and can't seem to find a heater core with AC and an evaporator. Does anyone know of a source?

Can old ones be repaired/used if I can't locate them? I hate to take it all apart and not replace with new units.....

Thank you

Most radiator shops can clean/test/repair your heater core.
An A/C shop likewise can test and repair or find a replacement evaporator.
Like too many things now, new stuff isn't always good stuff. (If you can even find it.)

It may come to that for sure I just looked at a website that listed the heater core to fit with or without AC.

You think that is correct? If so there are a lot listed but as "without AC"

Your original can be pressure tested and resoldered if needed. They usually fail at a solder joint. I have looked all over for an E body heater core (w/AC) and can only find them at classic industries. I pressure tested mine to 40 psi and she is solid so im running it.
The non-AC ones are super easy to find.

Just bought them at autozone 2 months ago

100_0055 (2).JPG

Frank Mitchell Mopars was acquired after he died. See if they might have one. But CALL THEM. Don't screw around with internet contact like email.

Your original can be pressure tested and resoldered if needed. They usually fail at a solder joint. I have looked all over for an E body heater core (w/AC) and can only find them at classic industries. I pressure tested mine to 40 psi and she is solid so im running it.
The non-AC ones are super easy to fin

Frank Mitchell Mopars was acquired after he died. See if they might have one. But CALL THEM. Don't screw around with internet contact like email.
[/URL]

Thank you for the information!

If you have the two reconditioning kits for the A/c and heater , they are pretty straight forward to recondition. The vacuum pods do have the lines on correctly, they just don't function properly if crossed, just switch. It can be fun getting the units into place, the heater assembly goes in first. The kits are available, but I think Detroit Muscle makes them. Will look to see if I kept pictures of my '72.

If you have the two reconditioning kits for the A/c and heater , they are pretty straight forward to recondition. The vacuum pods do have the lines on correctly, they just don't function properly if crossed, just switch. It can be fun getting the units into place, the heater assembly goes in first. The kits are available, but I think Detroit Muscle makes them. Will look to see if I kept pictures of my '72.

Thank you. You do want to get it right the first time underneath for sure.

I didn't get my vacuum lines correct, but was easy to change out. I erased my pics, but know someone that has some.

Any progress report? I am in the middle of the same build. Curious if you have any information to share.

Have you had yours apart? I haven’t and I have heard that they are the same in 1970.

I will get back to you soon as I plan to dismantle the box after the holidays.

I have another post discussion about are they different. A reply said they are same 1970/72. They changed the box in 1973.

Looking at the picture Which core do you have ?

What year is your dart?

C56EC6B5-0DF7-43F7-8796-CFFA0D6ABD90.png

A873C8A0-15E2-4472-BD75-DE64E876F286.png

Neither picture look like the core that I have. The heater box that I am restoring is from a 69 barracuda fastback with air conditioning.

Heater core for 69 barracuda is the same for ac core and non ac core. Chrysler part number is 2277535,
which is available on eBay. Search for: Mopar 2277535.

So I disassembled the heater and discovered that the heater core looks the same with or without AC as mentioned above. Again my application is 1970 340 Dart Swinger.

I included the dimensions in the photos. If anyone has a core that compares it would help confirm.

E37F9EAD-970B-4EF5-8776-C596BF41F8BE.jpeg

7E4F05C2-12B8-4D9C-B830-CE53D220E0E0.jpeg

BAB183B4-8866-46F9-A210-EB3387BCA641.jpeg

E63939EC-8E6B-454C-95C9-A0C6655B74CF.jpeg

5851D7B9-FCF6-41DE-AC08-F33864417B4E.jpeg

ECE48828-656B-4C90-8102-CE7C657C631D.jpeg

1DA0BD6F-09D7-4557-A7F3-1BC0ADDCDFDE.jpeg

-
Back