Can't get a break

-

zigs

Reaction score
Speedometer in my Dart is wack out , does the bumping thing. Was going to get a GPS but thought no I'd like a functioning speedo. Took the cheap way out and won (or Lost depending on how you look at it) a used cluster
guy said He wasn't sure about the speedometer , well it dosen't and now I'm back to square one. I'm thinking about sending mine in and having it fixed. Theres a place fairly close that will fix them reasonably. The cluster I got my be going up for sale guages work.

If the needle jumps around, it needs the dry film lube. Take the cable out and then the cable itself out of the sleeve and coat with the dry film. Not to heavy now since it just needs a even thin coat.

Reinstall the cable into the sleeve and then Reinstall it in the car.

$5 fix!

If the needle jumps around, it needs the dry film lube. Take the cable out and then the cable itself out of the sleeve and coat with the dry film. Not to heavy now since it just needs a even thin coat.

Reinstall the cable into the sleeve and then Reinstall it in the car.

$5 fix!

X2! Every bumping needle issue I've ever had, wether car or motorcycle, lubing the cable fixed the issue.

I have the same needle bounce and like rumblefish360 said lubing the cable helped. I just ordered a whole new cable assembly from Rockauto for $9. Cheap way to eliminate one of the problems before you start messing with the speedo. my .02.

I went through three used clusters and a OE Chrysler cable. They all ended growling and jumping around. I disconnected it and installed Ulysses Speedometer on my phone. It even has a heads up display for driving at night. Then I bit the bullet and got a custom dash with electric gauges and all electric senders. I love it.

Thanks for the input . I'll try Lethiam I hear that works. . I 've had both sets on the drill. I'll try a couple more things and if they don't work i'll send it out. Custom guages sound great maybe some day.

Also check out the speedo cable routing,.. sometimes they get moved, for accessing something,, and puts a tighter bend/kink in the cable, causing the inner cable to sort of "flop" while rotating..

Ease out any tight bends ...

You don't have to pull the whole cable assy out.
Disconnect at the speedo, slide the cable out of the center, lube it as it goes back in and connect it to the speedo again.
You're done.

Everything is on the bench. The one I'm working on is from ebay . I cleaned it with electrical cleaner and then put some graphit on it and lubed the cable. This did help stopped the thumping but only goes to about 60. My other cluster is still in the car and diffinitly has issues , bent needle and just flip flops. It is a 67 with the screw in cable. I'll try one last time to get something working ,if it dosen't happen I'll send one of them in to get fixed.

Might be a long shot, but dads was a 67 and we messed around with it so much we just decided to get his 150 speedo and our 2 tachs upgraded. When we took them in, the guy at the repair shop said..."yer missing the bushing from the back of the speedo"....Dad looked at me with that look that took me back 30 years( I just looked at the floor) LOL Dad had been saying all along about a little bushing....Dad was right I was wrong....We left the speedo there anyway as we had made the drive. Sorry for the long story, chk for the brass bushing...67 only.

My Speedo bounces only at slow speeds once its over about 45 it works great I wonder if living it would help.

Its really not worth the pain. 40 + years old somethins bound to fall of stretch, kink and stick. Shoot I'm 60+ and have had all of that. I'm the kind of person that if its supposed to be in there it should work. Theres a place in Portland Oregon that will go throught it, fix what ever and calibrate it $90 and they pay shipping one way. I don't want to be pulling this thing apart all the time its a pain.

-
Back