cap type oil filter wrenches

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a few for work... I aint wanting to buy a 41 pc set, when I will use maybe 5.
im looking at metal ones or cast aluminum. I have a couple of plastic ones I have worn out.
The problem is they list by diameter and # of flutes, not by application/filter number
Some list by car manufacturer but not which engines they work on.
Another issue is that for a given engine, an "equivalent" filter can take a different cap wrench.
MOST aren't for vintage Mopars but for newer (I'm sorry, this is what work has)
Looking for the cap that fits newer Fords (like FL500- Ford number) and FL820 etc...
plus of course the "8A" PH43, PH 16,
We have "Luber Finer" at work, I'll use these numbers, for the most common ones I'm needing... PH500, PH48, PH820, PH 253, PH 10064, PH 2835, PH400. Problem is ( for example, Ford FL500 is an equivalent filter to our PH500) but they have different number of flutes/flat spots.
I don't care if a given cap "fits Audi" or "fits BMW" or "fits GM" (there were MANY filters used on GMs, so which GM dos "that" one fit? and one that fits an AC branded filter may not fit an equivalent Purolator, etc.
Anyone able to help me on this?
Oh and Snap on (OK "Blue point") offers a set (30-some piece set) for $280, looks identical to a set I see all over Ebay for $40-something...... of course I'd rather have US made, Canada made, maybe German made,.... I want to avoid Chinamade or Taiwan made like a plague.

have you considered the claw type wrench?

im a big fan of those, and one size fits all

Im looking to buy a few for work... I aint wanting to buy a 41 pc set, when I will use maybe 5.
im looking at metal ones or cast aluminum. I have a couple of plastic ones I have worn out.
The problem is they list by diameter and # of flutes, not by application/filter number
Some list by car manufacturer but not which engines they work on.
Another issue is that for a given engine, an "equivalent" filter can take a different cap wrench.
MOST aren't for vintage Mopars but for newer (I'm sorry, this is what work has)
Looking for the cap that fits newer Fords (like FL500- Ford number) and FL820 etc...
plus of course the "8A" PH43, PH 16,
We have "Luber Finer" at work, I'll use these numbers, for the most common ones I'm needing... PH500, PH48, PH820, PH 253, PH 10064, PH 2835, PH400. Problem is ( for example, Ford FL500 is an equivalent filter to our PH500) but they have different number of flutes/flat spots.
I don't care if a given cap "fits Audi" or "fits BMW" or "fits GM" (there were MANY filters used on GMs, so which GM dos "that" one fit? and one that fits an AC branded filter may not fit an equivalent Purolator, etc.
Anyone able to help me on this?
Oh and Snap on (OK "Blue point") offers a set (30-some piece set) for $280, looks identical to a set I see all over Ebay for $40-something...... of course I'd rather have US made, Canada made, maybe German made,.... I want to avoid Chinamade or Taiwan made like a plague.
#61500 Lisle. It's a big set but has what you need and then some. You can buy separates but make sure you have the correct size and number of flutes and never change filter number or brand or your old wrench won't work. I sold hundreds of them in 28 years in the business. Amazon has the set for $100

I got by most of the time with a small assortment that included three traditional metal strap types, a large and small claw, a fabric type strap wrench, and the six piece socket style, that fits the hex nut on the plastic caps you remove to change the paper type filters, oh and the large and small Toyota cups with the slots. With all that, I never found an oil filter I couldn't remove. So, while they aren't quite as easy to store as a collection of cap types, they certainly work.

I use 2" seat belt fabric, that laps around the oil filter, tightens up for removal with a piece of square tubing and a half inch ratchet.

One size fits all, works great. Can make them up for almost free, just need the right size square tubing with a slit cut into it for the seat belt to slide into.

I use 2" seat belt fabric, that laps around the oil filter, tightens up for removal with a piece of square tubing and a half inch ratchet.

One size fits all, works great. Can make them up for almost free, just need the right size square tubing with a slit cut into it for the seat belt to slide into.

That does fines the one I have almost perfectly. You can really get some torque on it.

That would present the same issue as the regular metal strap type as in I run into lots of filters with no swing room for a handle, as the square tube would be in your example which is the whole reason for asking about a cap style filter wrench in the first place

Are the Lisle cap wrench's any better than the parts store or Wal Mart brand? The only way those things will bite is to go steal my wifes thin rubber jar opener thingy from the kitchen drawer to put between the cap wrench and the filter. I messed up her jar opener thingy, and she was :mad: :mob: !!!

I have the lisle set & they have never failed me... However you'll find some filters the first wrench you try seems to fit but it's a little sloppy... Try a few more wrenches cause there'll be another that actually fits properly....

-
Back