Car audio guy here....

-

Dart_Vader

...Join the Dart side...
Reaction score
Ok, before anybody tells me that this is not the place to discuss car audio please hear me out! I am a 12 volt technician that has been doing car audio, alarm systems and remote starters for over 20 years now. I know a lot of guys are reluctant to install aftermarket audio systems into their collector cars but I am here to say that its ok!

I really like doing stealth speaker and subwoofer installs...or systems that actually blend with the classic styling of the vehicle. Yes, the rumble of the engine is music in itself but hey, why can't we have both?

If anybody has any questions about car audio then please don't hesitate to ask or share. I am always learning and always willing to share ideas as well. Thanks for reading!

It's good to have you on board. I also do car audio as a side business. I got my start at age 13 installing a simple system into my 74 Dart. That was almost 20 years ago. I have a killer system planned and purchased for my 70 dart but it will be a while before I get to do the install on it.

I've found that many car guys don't get too caught up on the sound system but it's something I enjoy as well. Glad to have you here.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Sean, what are you planning for your Dart? I have some very cool ideas involving fibreglass, plexi, vinyl and lighting. Maybe Focal or Morel with some JL HD amps. Not sure yet!

i had a pair of polk 6x9's and RF tech P1 10's in my 68 dart. MY next setup is going to be a pair of T1 12's with 4 6x9's and some other goodies

I used to install and compete. Doing a steal install in my barracuda. 2-3.5" in the center dash location angled towards the listeners, 2-6x9 in the rear deck, head unit in the glove box, 2-RE12(before US amp buy out), RE mono amp.
9738_10200941823160961_975984295_n.jpg

This is the last bigger system I did in a 2007 Mustang GT500 last week. Its not my style but my customer wanted it 'bright and flashy!' So that's what I did. :)

Attachments

• 20140219_115238_resized.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 428
  • 20140219_115358_resized.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 434
I know there are purists that try to rule the car hobby with their "no modify" attitude but I have no issue installing an aftermarket stereo in a classic. I think it's up to the owner of the car to decide what's right and what's not. I'm 50 and when I was about 12 people started giving me old broken TV's and radio's to try to fix. I let the smoke out of most of those early ones (OOPS!) but it was fun. Later on I became pretty good at repairing them. When I started auto mechanics in HS in 1979 I started putting in stereo systems for the kids. Mind you that back then the systems weren't very high quality like we have today, nevertheless it was an improvement over AM (ancient modulation as we called it). Except for the low key system I put in my Cuda I haven't installed much in yrs. Nice to see you young and agile guys on the board. Maybe I'll learn something about the new stuff, LOL

Here's a (lousy quality) pic of my stereo install. You'll see I made a bracket to hang it under the dash rather than cut up my repro $450 dash insert. I polished up the original AM radio for looks and the aftermarket stereo can easily be removed without any lasting signs. I know there's the type that hide in the glove box and I would have used one of them but I got this one from a buddy at work for a super price

Attachments

• DSC02225-1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 398
Looks good under there!
I have done quite a few glovebox installs and custom consoles to house all sorts of decks. The most recent ones I have done in classic cars are the Retro Sounds twin shaft decks. they have bluetooth, USB, triple pre-outs, Aux input and a pretty nice display with custom color matching. They are a million times better than the Custom Autosound ones and sound pretty decent too. Well worth the price IMO.

Anybody havin any luck with the retrosound radios i have had to send min back twice already to get them to fix it argh

Right now I have Polk audio amps and a kicker 10L7 to install along with pre-buyout MB quart 6.5 components and 6x9 components for the rear. I may modify my dash for a nav unit or just drop it down to the center console I'm building. I plan on finishing out the trunk in a similar fashion as the mustang you shared. I will mount the front speakers in kick panels that I make.

My big install last weekend was a John Deere tractor. Farmers need their tunes too.

It looks like you do some real nice work.:cheers:

I need some advice on a stealthy system. I don't have a head unit or a place for one in the dash anymore. I want to put something in the glove box that I can hook up an aux mp3 to. Radio and all that I don't care about but about anything will have it I know. So I want some tunes but it doesn't have to be high end. Just loud enough to be heard over dumped at the axle 3" exhaust. I have 2 Sony Explode 6x9's that I could use in the back. Although there are roll cage bars going through the old holes so I have an issue there. Then the front speaker I don't know whether to use that weird sized speaker or the 2 4" people are using. Could I get by with just a head unit or probably need an amplifier too?

Anybody havin any luck with the retrosound radios i have had to send min back twice already to get them to fix it argh

I have installed a few without issue. I find them to be way better than Custom Autosound but they still lack high voltage pre-outs and a decent EQ. I suppose that is what a good DSP is for.

Right now I have Polk audio amps and a kicker 10L7 to install along with pre-buyout MB quart 6.5 components and 6x9 components for the rear. I may modify my dash for a nav unit or just drop it down to the center console I'm building. I plan on finishing out the trunk in a similar fashion as the mustang you shared. I will mount the front speakers in kick panels that I make.

My big install last weekend was a John Deere tractor. Farmers need their tunes too.

It looks like you do some real nice work.:cheers:

Thanks! You must post some pictures during and after its done!

I have installed a few without issue. I find them to be way better than Custom Autosound but they still lack high voltage pre-outs and a decent EQ. I suppose that is what a good DSP is for.

Thanks! You must post some pictures during and after its done!

Only reason im using it is because i dont want to hack up my dash

Ok, before anybody tells me that this is not the place to discuss car audio please hear me out! I am a 12 volt technician that has been doing car audio, alarm systems and remote starters for over 20 years now. I know a lot of guys are reluctant to install aftermarket audio systems into their collector cars but I am here to say that its ok!

I really like doing stealth speaker and subwoofer installs...or systems that actually blend with the classic styling of the vehicle. Yes, the rumble of the engine is music in itself but hey, why can't we have both?

If anybody has any questions about car audio then please don't hesitate to ask or share. I am always learning and always willing to share ideas as well. Thanks for reading!

And the award for the coolest "user name" on FABO goes to...

Dart_Vader!:cheers:

Great to have more input in regards to sound systems, welcome to FABO

Only reason im using it is because i dont want to hack up my dash

I suspect the thread starter will soon learn that head unit placement is the biggest hang up for majority of vehicles relevant to this forum.
Have fun

I have the secret audio sst, I am upgrading to the secret audio srms once it gets here. I love the SirriusXM hook up and iPod and USB setup. Best on the market.

Maybe this is the thread to post this question. Any of you guys have a recommendation for a decent modern style radio that will fit into the existing radio hole in my dash (69 Dart)? The car came with a thumb wheel AM radio, but I am not putting that back in the car.

Here ya go: http://www.vintageautoradio.com these guys will take your old thumb wheel radio, or any classic car radio for that matter, an gut it, leaving only the front face and any req'd interior parts. They will upgrade it to modern specs. Not too cheap, but it will keep the look of your stock radio and have premium sound.

They also sell the din mount classic looking / reproduction radios if you want to go that route.

I suspect the thread starter will soon learn that head unit placement is the biggest hang up for majority of vehicles relevant to this forum.
Have fun

Hang up? Nah...its just a bit of a challenge. I have done a ton of classic cars but I have never 'hacked up a dash'! In fact, I usually don't even drill any holes or cut any metal at all when working with collector or classic cars. I build custom consoles, relocate the deck to the glovebox or use a retrosounds or custom twin shaft deck to solve these issues.

Maybe this is the thread to post this question. Any of you guys have a recommendation for a decent modern style radio that will fit into the existing radio hole in my dash (69 Dart)? The car came with a thumb wheel AM radio, but I am not putting that back in the car.

I have said this before but I really like the Retrosounds decks. They look great, have a ton of options and are priced decently.

Here is a Retrosounds I did in a '65 Malibu SS and a Custom Autosound that is a few years old that I did in a '66 GTO. Both functional replacements of OEM and they both look decent.

Attachments

• smalldeck.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 277
  • smalldeck1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 268
-
Back