Car doesn't want to move

-

dICKj

Reaction score
1974 Duster 318, auto. When I try to give it gas to move, it just starts to rock a little then acts like the converter is reaching stall speed and it kills the motor. The rear wheels rotate OK by hand when it is on a jack. Any ideas?

Check the fluid for clean and clear, then if that doesn't determine anything pull the pan and see what's in it.
A converter should NEVER kill an engine, so I suspect you have a bad converter.

Small chunks of aluminum in the pan and fluid that looks ok would prove it.

One or both of the front brakes may be stuck on.

The inner lining of the rubber hoses can fail, letting brake pressure in but not out.

Oh that's a real easy one: somebody put a lockup trans in it, but it's low on fluid..so when you rev it the pump charges the converter..but the lockup valve is stuck..so: boom! ..or not.

Oh that's a real easy one: somebody put a lockup trans in it, but it's low on fluid..so when you rev it the pump charges the converter..but the lockup valve is stuck..so: boom! ..or not.

As completely possible as this theory is, it's probably not the case.
Good thinking though.:D

And the problem with the brake idea's above is that even if the brakes were completely locked up it still wouldn't kill the engine.
I think people are only reading the headline and not the rest of the story.

engine revs fine in neutral?

did you check the transmission fluid level?
what was the transmission in when you checked it?

I know when my car sits for few weeks I start it. Let motor warm up and put trans in neutral this pumps the fluid. And then I am good to go..

Push the clutch in.
OOps sorry wrong thread lol.
Sounds like the trans is stuck in two gears.
Probably the high clutch is not releasing, and the trans at standstill is engaging the sprag. So with the hi still engaged, it is locked.
The stalls the engine part tho is a stumper, because as soon as you release the gas pedal, the TC should slip.
I'm with whoever said drop the pan and see what's in there. If clean, time for an air-pressure test. If not clean, well, Miller-Time. or in the USA I guess ;time for a Bud-Break.

Last edited:
OK, this is a car that I just bought. It might not be transmission problems after all. When I backed it off the trailer, it seemed like only the right rear wheel was pulling when I put it in drive to put it in the garage. It is hard to start and wants to stumble and stall right off idle. Can't even touch the accelerator until it is well warmed up. I have to use a spray of starter fluid to start it. I locked the choke open to be able to move it. The previous owner put a brand new carb (2bbl) on it. Once it warms up, if I ease it through the flat spot when running in neutral, the engine will rev up fine. It's almsot like there is no accelerator pump in this carburetor. I'm starting to think there is dirt in the carb, what do you guys think?
DickJ

-
Back