Car Dollies Needed....Make or Buy??

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
hi all:

new house, big cellar, flat and smooth concrete floor. Need to store car inside for winter and move it occasionally to accommodate stuff.The best car dollies (Go-Jack) are about $900 for (4) tires with jack-up/down capability. Has anybody made a set of car dollies?? Any place that sells used? Looks simple to make w/ good steel wheels from Ebay (Go-Jack replacement) so maybe I can make a set of w/o jack up/down????

Appreciate the help. Comments???..Recommendations????...Bite the bullet and buy??

Thx MOPAR friends.

Good question. I have used the Go-Jacks but damn they are spendy. I wonder how the ones at Harbor Freight work. Summit has a few choices. The Sunnex knock off's would probably be ok. (made in China but what isn't nowdays) As long as they work. Car/Wheel Dollies at Summit Racing

I own and have used the basic diamond plate metal ones from Harbor Freight and they work great and are easy on the wallet!

IF it were just a rolling shell you wanted to move, Menards large furniture dollies worked fine for me on asphalt.

I bought the basic set from northern tool. They work fine.
The best use for dollies that I have is to store transmissions and extra 8.75 rear ends. Makes moving them around easy.
A 4-speed trans fits perfectly in the bend.

I have a set of the harbor freight version of go jacks and they work just fine on concrete and on uneven concrete. I brought each one of the kids in with me with a 20%coupon and I think I spent $200 on four of them

Basic harbor freight wheel dollies, mine are black.
Had em for over a decade.
Work great on smooth and clean floors.

hi all:

new house, big cellar, flat and smooth concrete floor. Need to store car inside for winter and move it occasionally to accommodate stuff.The best car dollies (Go-Jack) are about $900 for (4) tires with jack-up/down capability. Has anybody made a set of car dollies?? Any place that sells used? Looks simple to make w/ good steel wheels from Ebay (Go-Jack replacement) so maybe I can make a set of w/o jack up/down????

Appreciate the help. Comments???..Recommendations????...Bite the bullet and buy??

Thx MOPAR friends.

I have the Princess auto wheel dollies under my car (same as the Haul Master harbor freight 1000lb) and they work great. I lean on my car and it wants to roll. Easy to push around. Had them under a 64 full size Pontiac convertible and same deal. Little harder to push but held up great.

These are great on a smooth floor. Not so good if you decided you wanted to roll it outside. Only takes a few minutes to remove them if needed though. Just a little longer than the go jacks. I wanted a set of those but couldn't justify the cost. I'm happy with the ones I purchased.

Actually worked out cheaper to buy than to build. $47 a pair. You would pay close to that by the time you bought 8 decent quality castors and the steel to make your own

just a word of warning. I had a 78 magnum on some dollies in my garage. They are great for scooting them around with minimal effort, perhaps a little too easily. We had an earthquake, and I found the magnum up against my 67 Cuda. Fortunately, the cars had so many shipping pads draped over them, that nothing much was damaged.

I have a set from HF and they work ok. Was told by a friend oil the wheels before using them,will make moving vehicle easier.

Always check lubrication on anything from HF.
Its usually ok but extra rarely hurts.
Check nuts and bolts too.
As should be done with any new "tool".

hi all:

Thx MOPAR friends.

wd4000_four_bolts.jpg
Cheap...and work!

Old thread but, any further suggestions on good wheel dollies? Thanks!

FIW, I have the HF versions in the picture above your post. I halved the front pair as I felt they didn't need to be so wide. Kind of a PITA having to jack the car up to get 'em under the tires. May be nothing to it, but I feel these rounded ones create less distortion over the winter.

1667074319215.png

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Looking on Harbor Freight, they have something similar but don't look quite as heavy duty as the ones in your picture above, they are not braced like yours.

The dollies with the jacks on them make no sense to me. They're just a fancy waste of money. If you have to jack something up anyway, just get the cheap ones and use a floor jack. You can do two at a time versus one.

I’ve got a set of the HF dollies. Well, actually two pairs, one set of the curved black ones and one of the diamond plate V style. They both work fine on a shop floor or even a concrete driveway as long as it’s relatively clean. Obviously the wheels aren’t that big so they don’t do obstacles or uneven surfaces that well. But that’s just common sense with a smallish caster.

I was looking at these, are these any good?
IMO, they sound good to me.....except for the plastic wheels. A smooth clean surface for them to ride on should be fine. I'd be concerned grit becomes embedded in the plastic on say a weld shop floor.

-
Back