Car running too cold

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
i got a 180 thermostat and my 318 runs at 160 degrees constant also my heater output is weak. Should I just run a 195 and maybe it will reach 180? I have a three row radiator . I know running below 180 is not good for the engines life

very true. I would test the water pump by inspecting the flow in the radiator under operation, also feel radiator for any hot spots, and finally check/change the stat. Hang it in some hot water and observe it opening up (or in your case if it in fact closes) using a candy thermometer in the water

i had a similar issue (not on a mopar). i took apart the guage and rotated the background so it reads 180. I sure feel better.

i had a similar issue (not on a mopar). i took apart the guage and rotated the background so it reads 180. I sure feel better.
That's thinking outside the box! Im going to set my watch to 4:00 and then go home. :)

Do you have a test thermometer? Check the upper hose temperature close to the thermostat. Maybe your thermostat is stuck open.

Put in a 195 and check your heater core. Temp on inlet and outlet hoses should be the same if its flowing properly. I know it seems like thats not how it should be,but it is in fact the way it works. A funnel on a long piece of heater hose,cup of water and stick a blow gun behind it. A couple blasts of air followed with more water and air. I have done this many times, using only a few cups of water. Do this in both directions. I always catch what comes out the other end, to see whats in the core. Usually lots of gunk.Im from Manitoba,heat is a big thing around here.
If you split the heater core, it was either really plugged or on its way out. I havent split one yet.

Put in a 195 and check your heater core. Temp on inlet and outlet hoses should be the same if its flowing properly. I know it seems like thats not how it should be,but it is in fact the way it works. A funnel on a long piece of heater hose,cup of water and stick a blow gun behind it. A couple blasts of air followed with more water and air. I have done this many times, using only a few cups of water. Do this in both directions. I always catch what comes out the other end, to see whats in the core. Usually lots of gunk.Im from Manitoba,heat is a big thing around here.
If you split the heater core, it was either really plugged or on its way out. I havent split one yet.
Yes I'm going to drop in the 195 see how it runs temp wise. Also the heater core is new I had just replaced it. I remember with the original radiator before it completely rotted out it would reach 180 and have a warm out put on the original heater core. I'll keep you guys updated thanks again.

If the heater core hose fittings are the same size, try reversing them,if backwards it can airlock.

Also, make sure your "HEAT" or "TEMPERATURE" cable is adjusted properly. If its not completely shutting off the cold outside air, it will dilute your nice warm air with cold.

BTW, what does your temp gauge read....low or middle or...?

Last edited:
i got a 180 thermostat and my 318 runs at 160 degrees constant also my heater output is weak. Should I just run a 195 and maybe it will reach 180? I have a three row radiator . I know running below 180 is not good for the engines life

I had that problem, but only in the winter. I put a piece of cardboard in front on the radiator that blocked about half the airflow. Car warmed right up t normal. I see truckers restricting the airflow on there big rigs when its cold out, so I followed suit.

A 180 F T-stat shouldn't run 160 F. It will run slightly lower than the stamped set-point in the winter, and slightly hotter in summer, but not that different. I had that in my 1984 M-B. I tested the T-stat in a pot of water and seemed to work OK, then went further using an IR gun, mercury thermometer, and other T-stats. Turned out it opened slightly early and responded more sluggishly. Changing the T-stat ran at the proper 82 C on the dash, when it had run 60 C. Mileage improved after too. Of course, verify your dash reading first.

Two questions:
1. How do you know it is running at 160? If you are looking at a temp gauge, it could be faulty. Buy a laser thermometer. They are quite reasonable. I use mine ALL the time. Use it to measure the temp at your thermostat housing, radiator and radiator hoses.
2. I don't know where SGV is, but if you are in the middle of a deep freeze cold snap, that could contribute to your problem. I had a Dodge Caravan that was fine except when it was bitter cold. Then I had to use a piece of cardboard to block off about half of the radiator.

I ve see
I had that problem, but only in the winter. I put a piece of cardboard in front on the radiator that blocked about half the airflow. Car warmed right up t normal. I see truckers restricting the airflow on there big rigs when its cold out, so I followed suit.
Seen this done for all my life, tractors, older ford pick ups, even did it my self on
a hot 406 sbc pick up w/ an oversizes rad/ in it .

-
Back