Car shifted into gear when in park...

-

440seven

Reaction score
Scared the beejeezus out of me. Glad no one was in front of me. What’s the deal here? Revved to about 3grand or so and popped into a gear and lurched forward.

Is this just a simple lokar cable adjustment? This is a 727 with lokar cable and b&m floor shifter

Adjust the shifter cable in 1st per prior shifter cable posts. That is scary but how did it get from P to D? Thats like 1 inche of travel on a shifter right over R?

The cable didn’t move. The car simply lurched forward as if it caught a gear while in park.

Your shifter is out of adjustment. I'm not sure why it jumps forward, but my car has done it! It's pretty scary.

Someone got a link to the proper adjustment method for the lokar cable? I can’t find it online

It is not the lokar. I have had this happen, in fact my right femur was crushed because of it. Do you happen to have a tf3 kit in it?

Mine was a full manual with tf3 kit. It was in park, but not fully in park, just enough to engage the park pawl. I was standing in front of it adjusting timing and opened up the throttle to watch the curve. About 3 grand it popped out the park pawl and came at me, crushing my femur.

I have heard of this other times with the transgo tf3.

The lokar cable has nothing to do with it. That is used just for throttle pressure. It's in your shifter cable or the shifter. BE CARFUL! The only way it COULD be something with the throttle pressure cable is if you have the levers on the transmission rubbing on each other. Make sure when you give it throttle the (top) level is not interfering with the shift lever (lower)

I have heard of this other times with the transgo tf3
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. I'm going to look into it. That's not good because I've installed many of them. Maybe someone is missing a step with the instructions? DNK

Last edited:
I have also installed a few of these kits, and followed the instructions to a t. In this case it was that, even though it was in park, it was not all the way in park. When it was adjusted like this, if you brought the revs up it would always jump the park pawl and lurch forward. I ended up (months later after I healed) having to weld up the linkage hole in the shift arm and move it further inboard to match the throw of the shifter and fully go into park. This stopped the issue, it is something to do with the new spool valve in the tf3 I believe.

The other car I mentioned was a superbee with a tf3 that went through a garage wall when it lurched into gear.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I don’t know why I was saying lokar. I’ve got tons of crap going on. I made the adjustment to the B&M shifter cable and that seems to have done the trick so far.

As far as shift kit I honestly don’t know what’s in it. I bought this off a guy that said it had a kit. But I’m skeptical. I took it apart to change the filter and I didn’t see any special markings or anything on the VB. I do know one of those pistons is removed and the 1-2 shift is hard as ****. I don’t like. One day I’ll get it out and have someone rebuild it.

E777E19A-2CDF-41E1-9D17-8598ED337E9D.jpeg
At least it looks good sitting there

Swear I must be bad luck central. I adjusted the shifter linkage and everything seemed okay. I had a gathering I had to get ready for so I left it in the driveway. Fast-forward to now, go to crank it, fires right up. The only problem is the starter stays engaged! WTH!!! I just can win with this car.

I recently got the 440 and 727 installed in my Barracuda. It's not running yet, but as I was installing the driveshaft I discovered that it wouldn't go all the way into park. Fought it for a while and finally looked at all the parts. Trans is a '67, but due to the shifter I'm running (late 70s slap stick) I needed the three prong NSS/backup light switch. My '71 valve body was a crusty mess so I used the '67 body. Turns out that the late rooster comb doesn't work without some grinding away on the early valve body. This is the first time I've tried to use this combination of parts and I had read that you just swap the rooster comb to use the three prong switch. Now it stays in park.

Good Grief!! What the hell is this spring in my pan???!! If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have no luck. Seriously though, what are yall guessing this could be and do I really have to take this d@mn transmission out again. I think I'm just going to burn it to the ground on second thought.
IMG_5311.jpg

I should add, I drained the fluid and pulled the pan because it seemed as though I overfilled the trans by a quart or so and blew fluid somehow all over the exhaust underneath the car. Yea I know, rookie mistake.

Good Grief!! What the hell is this spring in my pan???!! If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have no luck. Seriously though, what are yall guessing this could be and do I really have to take this d@mn transmission out again. I think I'm just going to burn it to the ground on second thought.View attachment 1715390733
count your blessings..... could have hurt somebody bad or even just damaged the car by running into something. Valve body is messed for sure......

I believe that spring could be the one that holds the ball for the shifter mechanism on the valve body.

EAB9F4D5-92CE-4783-BBE0-C8C449A388B3.jpeg
So we can see the first three springs here. It’s not the detent ball spring. I’m using an upgraded deal that doesn’t use the ball and those springs are much smaller. The spring saga continues.

Did you check to see if it's the spring from the park rod? That could explain why you had an issue with it coming out of park.

-
Back