Car shifted into gear when in park...

-
Are you referring to the spring that's on the end of the park rod? If so yes that's on there. We can see it in the image tucked back there above and beyond the smaller black spring.

I'm also assuming this VB has something going on with this blue spring. Either way a new VB is on the way from a member here. I'll be out of town for a week or so and I'll take that previously mentioned break from it.

Tom Hand's book on Chrysler automatics might be helpful.

That might be the missing spring off the accumulator, that's causing the mega hard 1-2 shift. P.O. might have left in the pan so it could be reinstalled.

The accumulator spring toss is a common poor man's shift kit.

Edit, that spring is way too small to be the accumulator spring. Nvm.

Last edited:
Alright guys I'm back at it. I got a new RVMB from a member here and all went pretty smoothly. Got it put in no problems adjusted shift linkage properly. Put a new deep pan on and 7 more quarts of fluid, still shows a bit low in nuetral. Makes a bit nervous putting that much fluid in so I go out around the block and no 3rd gear. Can this be a symptom of low fluid? or should I say screw and have a local shop just rebuild the dang thing?

It's not like a motor. A motor has the full mark a few quarts above the oil pickup. An automatic has the oil pickup only slightly below the full mark. With a deep pan, if you have an extended pickup, only then does an auto have the same situation as a motor. A motor doesn't rely on oil to operate, but a trans is more like a floor jack in that respect. Pull the stick on a motor and it could show nothing but the motor will still run. Pull the stick on an automatic and it can show an inch or so of fluid and do nothing.

don't drive it around, just start it, quickly run it through the gears, then check it again. once you get close you can finish warming it up and top it off. if you still have issues, it's not the fluid level

Sure, if money is no object then pay somebody to rebuild it. I had no idea that that was the situation. Hopefully, they'll teach you how to properly check the fluid level after they take your money. Cheers!

-
Back