Car Trailer Width Question - Help!

-

SpikeWills69

Live Free or Die
Reaction score
Car Trailer Width Question -

I have a chance to buy a really nice "nearly new" open trailer to move my 69 Cuda project. The trailer is 76" wide (6' 4") between the rails. It looks just like a car hauler, but seems to be (maybe?) a small equipment trailer. Seems like it would work great, but my car is still in NY, and I am in NC, so can't measure car. (measured width before I left but can't remember and didn't write it down. Everything I can gather seems to say it would work, but I don't want to get back home find out I made a huge boo boo. I know it is narrower than most open haulers.

Car is disassembled and on a dolly. No oversize tires or anything to worry about.

Thanks.

My open hauler is 83" between the fenders and there is usually a good 8" or more on both sides when my 62' Savoy is on it. I suspect your car would fit with 76" but you want to make sure the axles and frame are rated enought to hold the weight of a car. Car hauler axles are either 3500# or 5000# (each) - either would be fine for your car. I would not want to try carrying a car on a lightweight utility trailer for any distance..

My open hauler is 83" between the fenders and there is usually a good 8" or more on both sides when my 62' Savoy is on it. I suspect your car would fit with 76" but you want to make sure the axles and frame are rated enought to hold the weight of a car. Car hauler axles are either 3500# or 5000# (each) - either would be fine for your car. I would not want to try carrying a car on a lightweight utility trailer for any distance..

Stumper, Thank you for your help. The trailer does have two 3500# axles with brakes on both axles. Thanks again. I am going to check it out again in the morning.

Love the 62's btw. A friend of mine built one for a guy in our area. Max wedge clone, 413 and it was an animal.

Spike

Damn it, I just measured my open trailer but forgot how wide it is. I can tell you I carried a full size pick up on it, just fit between the wheel wells but fit just the same. I will run back out there as soon as I am done icing my shoulder....

Damn it, I just measured my open trailer but forgot how wide it is. I can tell you I carried a full size pick up on it, just fit between the wheel wells but fit just the same. I will run back out there as soon as I am done icing my shoulder....

Inkjunkie, please take care of your shoulder. I am convinced the trailer is plenty rugged, but the 76" width scared me off a little. The more I think about it, I think it might be ok, maybe a little close when the car has running gear under it, but that won't be for awhile. Thanks for any input.

My open trailer has 96" axles and there is a fair amount of room when I put my Duster on it but not a ton. I would be a bit leary of a smaller trailer. Hate to see the front wheels not fit between the fenders. Also, how tall are the fenders? Want to make sure you can open the car door without hitting them.

Let me know if you need me to go out and measure the width of my car and trailer if that will help.

Ok I hope this helps you out. I just went out and measured my stuff.
My rear tires are approximately 66 1/2 inches from sidewall to sidewall. My rear is narrowed a bit and the tires fit inside of the fender wells. My trailer deck is 81" between the fenders, and the fenders are 7 1/2 " above the deck.

So I'm guessing that if you have 76" between the fenders you should be ok. A buddy of mine has a trailer that wasn't really a car trailer also but works for his scamp. He just had to nail some boards down on the deck to roll the tires up on to be able to open his doors. Good luck!

Ok I hope this helps you out. I just went out and measured my stuff.
My rear tires are approximately 66 1/2 inches from sidewall to sidewall. My rear is narrowed a bit and the tires fit inside of the fender wells. My trailer deck is 81" between the fenders, and the fenders are 7 1/2 " above the deck.

So I'm guessing that if you have 76" between the fenders you should be ok. A buddy of mine has a trailer that wasn't really a car trailer also but works for his scamp. He just had to nail some boards down on the deck to roll the tires up on to be able to open his doors. Good luck!

Slim, thanks for all the help. The fenders are wider by a few inches, but it has low rails around it, which I kind of like. I am going to measure again in the morning, as I can't really remember how high they are. They are 76" rail to rail, but don't know how high until I measure. The sidewall to sidewall measurement really helps too, Slim. Thanks everyone and I will give an update.

I found a picture of my buddies trailer. It sounds a lot like the one you're looking at.
His is narrow also, he scraped the side of his car once loading it.

09WoodburnMoparNationals007.jpg

i just measured my trailer and it is 80 1/2 inches betwwen the fenders. there is alot of room with my 72 dart on it. Ok i measured my car and the width at my tires are 66 inches. and the body is 69 inches. So unless it has high sides on the trailer it would fit , you might have to climb out the window if it does.

My trailer is 78" wide and the fenders are 10" high. Everything fits on mine, including my GTX and even my A-body doors open!! The trailer in question should be fine!! Geof

My trailer(a 1968 Homebuilt) is 73" inside the rails and my 67 Dart fits on it with room to spare, the biggest problem is that the fenders(didn't have any until 2 years ago) sit pretty highg and I can only open the door about 6 inchs . I hauled a 73 Chevelle on it and it was tight, I had to watch the front wheel and had about an inch to spare on bothe sides. My brother used the same trailer to haul his Modified (GM metric chasis) and we had to 15" wheels with stock tires that he had to put on the front to clear.
495.jpg

My trailer deck is 73" wide, between the fenders. My car is sitting on the trailer, measure the front. There is 20" of space left on the deck. Hope this helps......With anything the lenght of a car I was able to use chains and binders, but with the pick up on it I needed to buy straps. Bought a set of Macs, very happy with them. Also bought a set of Macs for when I needed to carry a motorcycle. They make a great product.....

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for all the help. I finally pulled the trigger and have the trailer. I am very happy with the deal and think it will work well. Everyone has been very helpful and I appreciate it. Made the deal and brought the trailer home today (well, temporary home - our daughters in NC). Will be taking it to Rochester for the final move down next week. [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• CIMG0100.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 680
  • CIMG0101.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 234
Well, finally got everything (well, almost, but that is another story) moved to NC. The trailer worked fantastic. Nestled under all that plastic is the cuda, packed full of parts, and on the trailer bed are 2 trannies, a dana 60, a bare 400 block, bumpers, 4 steelies, 2 old cragar ss's w/tires, an engine stand and a cherry picker, all strapped down well of course. Trailer really pulls very nicely. And then there is my little helper

Attachments

• CIMG0125.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 794
  • CIMG0128.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 761
Where in NC did you move to? If that scene is down here it must be in the western part of NC.

Damn....looking at all that just makes my back hurt. Nice looking trailer, glad you made it with no drama.

Moving truck pic is in Va. on the way down. We are south west of Raleigh. Drama? No, that was the other trailer. Thinking I need to start another thread for that one. Maybe I will call it, I-81 in N. Va now has a 69 B5 Blue section.:eek:ops:

That doesn't sound good... must be a story there? Welcome to NC by the way. I'm straight south of Raleigh on US1 in Rockingham. My little girl lives up there in Cary.
You just missed the Mopar show/race in rockingham last weekend but there is an all Mopar event coming up on the 12th of May in Farmington, otherside of Winston-Salem.

-
Back