CAR UPDATE-Low10sec pumpgas street duster.

-

get dustd

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just thought I'd post an update of where my car is at right now. I got a lot of good info off this site in the four years it took me to get this car together on a very very low budget while I was in college. I'm not sure if anyone remembers me posting progress pics but here is a little back round on it...I started with a freshly painted completely disassembled rolling chassis with all stock suspension that I sold my 73charger for when I was 18. The car took a very long time for me to get all the door stuff and glass and weather stripping and wiring because it was my first time tackling all this stuff. I did most of the welding on the car and I built the engine trans and rear end with some help from the guys at opel engineering which is where I worked for 4 years part time.
The car has a narrowed 9" with caltracs, mini tubbed and relocated springs and a 10 gal fuel cell. 10pt roll bar with a th400 trans with a tbrake (havent used it yet). The weak link in the car is a junk 10"tci footbrake converter that stalls at 2400rpm. On the custom brake converter I am looking to dial into some single digit passes. The motor is a 400block with a 4.150 stroke eagle crank with a 4.375 bore which makes it like a 498. 11.2:1 true compression with indy 440ez heads that I spent ALOT of time on. The cam is a solid flat cam with under .600 lift. 440source rockers and 10 deg. hardware. The engine made 687 at the crank on our dyno with huge average numbers. it idles at 800rpm has street mufflers and I drive it everywhere but to the track and its very well mannered.

The car has been going 10.30's with a terrible 1.60 short time(leaving soft off idle) and has gone 108mph in the 1/8. It runs out of gear with the 4.11 and 29.5 inch BFG so Im going to a 325/50 MT DR and changing the gear and converter. I coast across the line at 131. I think it has a 9.99 in it for sure. Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the good advice and dont bash the build because of the ford rear and chevy trans. I built that trans for 600$ including the converter and the rear end cost me 300$ to build so you obviosly see how easy the choice was over spending the cash you need to shell out for a 727 that can hold up to a 22 year olds street driving habbits.

Anyways heres some multimedia to enjoy. Last summer was the first summer I had the car running and it was by far the best summer of my life. Here are some grudge race videos from the local street race nights at the track and some pics I got from friends:

IMG_6447x.jpg

IMG_5917scopy.jpg

badbitch.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

Heres the motor pre dyno.

PICT1878.jpg

low 9 sec turbo race gas ta spotting me out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V12RKgDiNA

race gas big cube BBC bu giving me the hit (I have a rerace with me giving him the hit this season): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH588bYRg98&feature=related

that a bad *** duster i have a 71 440 duster mini tubbed caged Can u give more info on the engine and show more pics of the car. here a pic of mine when i got it back from paint.

d2.jpg

Thanks thats a nice car. I myself am pondering that stripe. I hate how much my paint got beat up last season though from racing. The motor is a 72 400 block from a van or something the 230 casting 400blocks have pretty decent main webbing. We cnc'd it for billet steel side bolt mains like the hemi blocks and filled it up to the freeze plugs with hard block. That is much much better than messing with girdles and that stuff. The crank and rods are eagle and the pistons are custom diamond pistons. The 440ez heads are actually one of the cheaper heads indy makes and they flowed 250/350 out of the box. who knows what they are flowing after all the headwork. other than that like i said its not a gaint cam and the cam and lifter kit was like 200 bucks you just gotta be careful with the break in and I run joe gibbs hot rod oil for the zinc content. My oil temps stay cool all summer and I rarely need to touch valve lash. stock oiling and stock non HV oil pump. I shift it at 6400. all in all its a great motor but Ive seen much higher HP pump gas motors come out of the shop but spinning my 315/65 bfg's at 45mph on the street is fun enough for me. what did you end up doing with your 440? my interior needs alot of work and that stuff is expensive so its staying pretty bare for now. I want to get a full interior in the car eventually, maybe even a 4 speed. did you use the swap mounts? I put a motor plate because I could pretty much put the motor where I wanted since I made the trans cross member. Its better for higher hp motors too because it doesn't tug on the sides of the block. I think im going to adapt a poly mount to the mounting points since I drive it so much. though. Thats a six pack hood and the air cleaner sits right in the scoop I got lucky how it came out.
Heres more of the motor...
PICT1867.jpg

PICT17902.jpg

IMG_5900copy.jpg

and a few more of the car last summer
IMG_6462s.jpg

IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6354.jpg

no comments about the toyota. That was the "friend" that took all those nice pictures and she has photo skills.

i got the motor on trade and the guy had it built didnt no much bout it but i think it makes at least 450 horse it is just mild it has a 4000 stall and 456 gears and 29 13.5 hoosier quick times pro

Sounds wicked ................. Whats the cam specs and what exhaust are you running ?
I'm doing a 505 cubed RB in my 68 Cuda fastback

1 Cuda MiniTub work October 09 020 resized.jpg

1 Cuda MiniTub work October 09 034 resized.jpg

i did use the swap mounts i will post some pics of the int and engine pics sometime this weekend i got to work all weekend so i might get some tomo night

I dont have the cam specs here at school but the exaust is 3.5 inch dumps with some race flowmasters. you can hear the open headers bbc drowns me out...until I get on it.

-
Back