Carb choice

-

Terry Markwart

Reaction score
I am new to this sight and would like honest opinions of which carb will best suit my street needs.
340cid 9.5 comp ratio, .488/.491 lift cam, offy port o sonic I t
Screenshot_20211128-144153_Samsung Internet.jpg
ake, 360 heads port and polished, roller rockers (hydraulic. Cam), sanderson headers, electronic ignition. 727 auto with 3000 stall, shift kit and a 3.91 sure grip. I have a 600cfm eddy or a 750 carter comp carb. Which will work the best for cruising /street/ light strip. Thanks for responding

More street, I like the Carter 750 as mentioned. More really hot street/race, I would prefer one of the Holley style carburetors in a 750 double pumper like one of the Quick Fuel carburetors. VERY adjustable compared to the old style Holley.

You have both, try both. The 625 has smaller primaries & should be more responsive on the street; this is very important for a street driven car with a single plane intake.

I am new to this sight and would like honest opinions of which carb will best suit my street needs.
340cid 9.5 comp ratio, .488/.491 lift cam, offy port o sonic I tView attachment 1715877229 ake, 360 heads port and polished, roller rockers (hydraulic. Cam), sanderson headers, electronic ignition. 727 auto with 3000 stall, shift kit and a 3.91 sure grip. I have a 600cfm eddy or a 750 carter comp carb. Which will work the best for cruising /street/ light strip. Thanks for responding
Welcome aboard Terry. The Carter is well known to be a great street carb. I’d run the 750 myself but I would also try both just to see and know.
I’ll also say a Holley isn’t a bad choice ether. Pick wisely on the Holley.

With the performance build the 750 probably makes sense. However, the tendency is to over-carb a build and then the car doesn't perform as expected. You might check out a Street Demon or something like that. The car might be really responsive to something in the 670-700 range.

I would start with the 600 and see how you like it.

That 750 is a complete P.O.S. and since I'm such a nice guy, I'll take it off your hands for $50, shipping included for my 360. :poke:

upload_2022-2-26_7-42-38.png

Run them both, make sure you tune them both to your engine. My bet is that you will only really be feeling the need for the 750 when the engine is howling down the road at 5,500+ rpm.

:thumbsup::steering:

Run them both since you have both [ as I suggested back in post #6 ]. Your only 'decision' then will be....which one to try first.
External dimensions, mounting pattern etc are identical so you will not even need a base gasket if you are careful [ check that none of the t/bores are covered, especially on the 750 ].

If you're just hot rod and around the 600 will suit you fine good crisp throttle response, but the 750 will definitely have more grunt on the top end

Street demon 750.
It's been a wonderful street carb for me for nearly 5 years, nearly 30,000 miles and counting. (until I get EFI).
The thing has both, Thermoquad and maybe some AVS elements in them.

1991 360 Roller-Cam LA:
Lunati Voodoo hyd. roller cam: .515/.530 lift - 270/279 duration
(219/227 dur. at .050)
Alum. Promaxx Heads. 10.2 compression.
Eddy Airgap manifold.
And yes that cam was a bit tool mild.

However, I do have a 408 in the garage that I'm assembling.
With a cam that Dave from Hughes Engines is recommending. :D

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, it had the 600 on it when I bought it.. ran it for a few weeks then blew the car apart.. it did have a .525 lift solid cam in it which I slightly toned down but I felt it had fuel bog so when a good deal came on the 750i bought it... it could have been poor plug wires and ignition, or the fuel pump being weak ( replaced with eddy), I think I will start fresh build with the 750 and see how it runs with the new changes to the engine.

-
Back