carb makes whistling noise

Discussion in 'Fuel and Air Systems' started by phaelax, May 7, 2018.

1. phaelax

phaelax Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    6:31 AM
    Since the engine was replaced, my carb started making this very annoying whistling sound. I'm using the same holley 750 double pump I had before. I really only seem to notice it once the engine has warmed up. At first, I thought maybe it was just a vacuum leak and I checked the hoses. But it definitely sounds like it's coming from in the carb itself.

2. H22A4

H22A4 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    3:31 AM
    Have you used a stethoscope or short piece of rubber hose with one end held to your ear and the other moving around the engine bay while the car is running to hear where the whistling sound is loudest/coming from? Is it coming from the base of the carb? Tried tightening down the carb mounting nuts? Is there a gasket paper or spacer) between the intake manifold and the carb? If there’s a spacer, perhaps the metal grommets in the spacer are higher than the actual spacer material so it’s leaking around that? If you only hear it once the car has run for a little bit, when you turn it off and restart it again (car is still hot or warm you restart it) is the whistling sound there immediately?

3. CUDA69

CUDA69 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Had the same Problem. Try squirting a little bit of water on the throttle plate shafts from the outside. It will stop the whistling if thats where its coming from. As a temporary fix I put a dab of wheel bearing grease on the outside of the carb where the shaft is. Eventually replaced the carb.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • phaelax

View My Photos
      Local Time:
      yes I believe so. I drove the car to work this morning and didn't hear it, but I did yesterday afternoon when it was warmer out.

• Demonracer

Demonracer 71 Demon 00 Ram 16 Chrysler 300S 05 Caravan FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      5:31 AM
      It could be the throttle shaft bushing causing the whistling. If you look around, someone in your area will be able to replace the bushings if you are really attached to that carb, otherwise replace it as mentioned before.

• Toluene56

Toluene56 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
      Local Time:
      i have a 4 hole spacer that causes the carb to whistle,multiple carbs same whistle. swapped to the open spacer and whistle is gone. Maybe it's as simple as that.

• RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Just another dumbass. FABO Gold Member Technical Editor

View My Photos
      Local Time:
      Almost 100% of the time whistling is caused by a vacuum leak at the carburetor base plate gasket.

• pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

View My Photos
      Local Time:
      water in a spray bottle. Squirt, listen for a dip in RPM. When it dips or stutters, you found it.

• phaelax

View My Photos
      Local Time:
      Haven't had time to look at it yet. But it only did it for a little bit yesterday after it really got warm outside. I think I'll check the gasket first, pretty sure I have a spare laying around anyway and that only takes a minute to change.

• famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
      5:31 AM
      my 1200 cfm throttle body whistles when the air cleaner is off, with it on ,can`t hear it.