Carb not getting Fuel

-

Drake

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, I am having a major issue. The carb is not getting fuel at all. The carb and the fuel pump are only a day old, yet the pump is not supplying fuel to the carb. The fuel lines are all solid, with no holes or anything. We have a manual pump on it right now, but we are installing an electric fuel pump. Before we go through that stage: Is there anything that could be wrong other than the manual fuel pump not being powerful enough (3 pound pull), or being bad altogether? I fell for the ol' '74 seatbelt interlock dilemma, so is there some unknown force working against us that we don't know about?

Thanks for any help.

-- Drake

We put the electric choke on it and it works fine. The manual choke must not create enough of a vaccum.

Problem solved.

Your fuel pump at 3 pounds sounds low, most pumps I`ve read are in the 6-7 pound range. You still might want to check to see if your new pump is the proper one and if it`s pumping like it should. You can also check for leaks in the fuel line, a clogged fuel filter, or that the tank is vented properly. Also check the pick-up tube and sock for any obstructions.

the car will idle with 2 lbs of fuel pressure.

make sure you have a vented cap and a good 'sender to line' hose as on not cracked.

Can you use starting fluid to get it to fire?

definatly pull the tank and clean out the lines. my 72 tricked me the same when i first bought it. be careful as it might want to run great until you are 10 miles from home. its a safer bet to at least make sure your tank and sending unit are all cleaned out.

Fellas,
Looks like it was a fuel pump problem; the cam lobe is worn, and we weren't getting sufficient fuel. We put on a new electric pump and regulator; tuned the reg to 5.5 psi (instead of the 7 psi that it runs stock--we were drowning that Edelbrock), and now she runs like a top! :cheers:

Thanks for all the help! :-D

Rob (Drake's dad)

-
Back