Carb problem

-

busted knuckles

Reaction score
Slowly getting the bugs worked out of this car. Now the carburetor. It is a two barrel holley, 2300series. The car warms up and idles great. As soon as I give it some throttle it starts to die, I have to feather the throttle to keep it going. When I give it most of the throttle there is a lot of power but I can feel some surging. I have rebuilt the carb with a holley kit. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing other than the rebuild kit that was added was a power valve protector( backfire protection).

I solved a lot of problem I thought I had with my carb by replacing my ignition are you running points or electronic?

Also be sure you are running the right plugs, I was running plugs that were too short it made a big difference.

Points. The same plugs that were in the car before( when it ran good) are still in it now. I got the holley rebuil kit, and used the power valve in it. Dont know what # it was.

My holley kit came with a 6.5 power valve and ran like crap until I replaced it with a 10.5. I am running a 4150 4bbl though.
Slants tend to create a lot a vacuum so higher PV is a must.

Your vacuum advance Is hooked up correctly, and not leaking right? A leaking advance or ported vacuum line will cause a massive hole in part throttle response.

On a 2300 Holley, I think the ported vacuum comes off the right side of the metering block. Try plugging all vacuum ports at the carb and see if it makes a difference.

The vacuum port is on the passenger side, no leaks, the only other hose going to the carb is the pcv. There is not a huge stumble, but its not right. It was worse, but I raised the float level and its better. I also noticed how critical the accelerator pump actuator is.

O.K., I got it. I took the carb bowl and metering block off and hosed it out with carb cleaner, found what looked like spider web in one jet(#59 jets). I assume it was part of the old gasket I failed to clean out. removed the idle screws, hosed out everything, put it all back together and it runs great! So I guess the problem was not enough gas? learning something everyday. I called holley and they said the power valve that came in the kit was a 6.5 , and that it should be big enough, how will I know if its big enough/not big enough? Reading the plugs? Thankyou all for your input.

Your fuel consumption and plugs will tell you if it is too low of a power valve.
I was told you want to take your cruising vacuum and halve it to get the proper power valve. mine pulls 20-21 at cruise.

At least 2 numbers below your idle or cruise vacuum reading, whichever is lower.

-
Back