Carb question

-

ramman7284

Reaction score
I'm curious on what you guys would recommend for a carb I keep gettin told different things since my Holley isn't useable anymore I'm going to use it on a stock 318 but later on a mildly modified 360 what would you guys recommend?

I'm curious on what you guys would recommend for a carb I keep gettin told different things since my Holley isn't useable anymore I'm going to use it on a stock 318 but later on a mildly modified 360 what would you guys recommend?

What intake manifold are you going to use?

A lot depends on the build and useage of the vehicle. A 650 CFM unit will cover a lot of bases. (I'd prefer to error on a smaller carb than a larger one. the HP difference is small but the throttle response is better.) But it may not be good for a well built 360. How well built, or built up I should ask is the 360 going to be? Gears converter cam cars weight and intended use are all factors.

A lot depends on the build and useage of the vehicle. A 650 CFM unit will cover a lot of bases. (I'd prefer to error on a smaller carb than a larger one. the HP difference is small but the throttle response is better.) But it may not be good for a well built 360. How well built, or built up I should ask is the 360 going to be? Gears converter cam cars weight and intended use are all factors.

The car will b used as a street car once in awhile opened up but I'm only wanting 400 ponies out of it

the 1406 or the 650 thunder will work great on that little teen. ive never had a problem with any such base warpage with eddy carbs. in fact thats the first ive heard of it in many many years. i personally prefer the holley 600 or 650 way over the eddy carbs. you will definitely want a dual plane intake

I'm a Holley guy. Kinda thought you wern't liking the one you have now? Like 73AbodEE said, not sure about the warping deal. I did assume you're using a Mopar dual plane.

holley here too. 1850 will work good.the only eddy i would use is the avs....

I have an old Holley dp 650 but the baseplate is shot and I can't get a new one that's why I'm askin

The base plate will not warp unless you take the carb off the intake HOT!
Who ever told you this must have done that or miss installed the carb to begin with. The same rumor goes with aluminum intakes, heads etc.... I've never heard or see a TQ base plate warp. The main body? Yes. Not the base plate.

Of the Edelbrock carbs, I'd suggest the AVS over the AFB.
The choice of carb manufacturer is your choice.

And you were also told to stay away from bad girls too! But did you?

For the 318, I like the Edelbrock 1405 600cfm.This carb works exceptionally well on the 318.I have a clean,bolt on ready 1405 available,if your interested.

Attachments

• IMAG0143.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 378
Ideally what ever gets you a vacuum reading of 1.5 at full throttle but a 600/650 should be fine.

The old edelbrock vs Holley, should be a trivia game. I've played on both sides of the competition, and let me say how funny people can be about the comparisons, it's like comparing a old Harley to a Japanese bike from a reliability stand point..edelbrock will always be the reliable carb opposed to Holley will just sometimes back fire...Holley has an excellent throttle response, edelbrock slags just a little..both are really close in comparison when at full throttle truly Holley will just give a little more horse..I have a 600 Holley on my 273 with point ignition and fiber wires, the plugs remain clean and throttle response is excellent..I had a edelbrock on it and throttle response is a little weak..I have a tunnel rammed olds I drive to shows with paired 600 edelbrocks that are tweaked..reliability is great they are decent with fuel mileage, but for all out stepping on the gas Holley puts you back in the seat..Oh and I never heard of warping unless someone really over tightening the carb bolts..I know it's difficult to do but if you have any friends can lend a carb just to see a difference and compare before purchasing one..it's hard to do.

1.5 or less.

Yes your right but the less you go you trade top end power for throttle response and driveablity, a serious street strip you probably want around 1"Hg and a full race car low as you can go that still works.

-
Back