Carb rebuild and wont start

Fuel and Air Systems

1. Hankrebel

Hankrebel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:18 PM
    71 swinger has been at the upholstery shop for several months getting a new interior.
    It seems it was sitting too long because it died on the way home.
    When trying to start, fuel is coming out of top of the carb. So I knew something was wrong with the floats.
    I took the Edelbrock 1403(500cfm) apart and one of the floats had a hole and was full of fuel. And the whole interior was green and tarnished.
    I bought a rebuild kit with all new gaskets and springs and bought new floats.
    While trying to remove the left main jet, part of the head broke off and I cannot remove it. The others were pretty stubborn but did come out.
    I cleaned out everything as best I could and used the air compressor to blow out all passages.
    I calibrated the floats within the 7/16 and 15/16 range and put the carb back together and on the car.
    No more fuel spilling over the top but it wont start.
    If I take the carb off and turn it over, plenty of fuel dumps out so I know fuel is getting into the bowls.
    I dont think the broken main jet would cause this but I may be wrong.

20181020_131744.jpg

2. 70aarcuda

70aarcuda Master Hoader of SBM FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:18 PM
    check for spark....and then I would pull all the plugs out ...spin the motor over to clear the cylinders....flooded?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hankrebel

Hankrebel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      5:18 PM
      I was finally able to get some time to work on it. Pulled all the plugs and spun it over. Plugged everything back in and it fired right up. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.