Carb rebuild and wont start

Discussion in 'Fuel and Air Systems' started by Hankrebel, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Hankrebel

Hankrebel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:06 PM
    71 swinger has been at the upholstery shop for several months getting a new interior.
    It seems it was sitting too long because it died on the way home.
    When trying to start, fuel is coming out of top of the carb. So I knew something was wrong with the floats.
    I took the Edelbrock 1403(500cfm) apart and one of the floats had a hole and was full of fuel. And the whole interior was green and tarnished.
    I bought a rebuild kit with all new gaskets and springs and bought new floats.
    While trying to remove the left main jet, part of the head broke off and I cannot remove it. The others were pretty stubborn but did come out.
    I cleaned out everything as best I could and used the air compressor to blow out all passages.
    I calibrated the floats within the 7/16 and 15/16 range and put the carb back together and on the car.
    No more fuel spilling over the top but it wont start.
    If I take the carb off and turn it over, plenty of fuel dumps out so I know fuel is getting into the bowls.
    I dont think the broken main jet would cause this but I may be wrong.

20181020_131744.jpg

2. 70aarcuda

70aarcuda Master Hoader of SBM FABO Gold Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    5:06 PM
    check for spark....and then I would pull all the plugs out ...spin the motor over to clear the cylinders....flooded?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hankrebel

Hankrebel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      7:06 PM
      I was finally able to get some time to work on it. Pulled all the plugs and spun it over. Plugged everything back in and it fired right up. Thanks!