Carb recommendation for 360 Magnum

-

snailpower

Reaction score
first off I know this is like asking "whats the best oil," everyone has a preference.

Heres my car specs:

Mostly street driven 72 scamp, full weight, AC.
Currently running Eddy 1406
Rebuilt 99 360 magnum
HEI ignition, stock mopar distributor (parts store type HEI)
LA air gap intake
EQ heads with light bowl work and light shave
9.6:1ish compression
stock mag pistons/crank/rods
Hughes cam 224/226/110
1.6 adjustable roller rockers
Dougs headers, 2.5" exhaust
3:55 SG 8 3/4
2200 stall, 904

I will be mostly street driving this, but occasional strip use and suspension is set up for handling so there will be some turns carved up.

I have the 1406 650cfm on there, it runs ok but its the carb from the 318 that came out and wondering if I am better off with something different. Mostly I want to get rid of the electric choke since it never gets too cold here. The couple times I have gotten into the secondaries since break in I have gotten a bog so it definitely needs some tuning as is, I have an Innovate wide band O2 I will be hooking up shortly to aid in tuning once the motor is broken in.

I have been eyeing the new AVS2 which seems awesome, but wondering if I go for the 650cfm, or the 800cfm? Im open to any suggestions, want to see what everyone thinks.

IMG_2317.JPG

Last edited:
Holley HP series 650cfm

They make 3 of them in that model with slight differences. If you ever plan to run E85 I'd avoid the aluminum model.

Mopar recommended a 750 CFM for the 360 crate motors. An Edelbrock 1411 (750) has worked well on mine.

Does anyone think the 650 AVS2 would be too small in my situation? It seems the recommended CFM is lower than 650 for my application. Don't want to leave any power on the table if I don't need to.

Too small really is a relative term. My circle track engine makes 463hp on 500cfm of carb. Is it restricted? Hell yes and it can make more with a larger 4bbl on it.

Personally, you'll never find a carter carb (eddy carb) on one of my engines. I've run them and they were ok.. Never ran or performed like a well prepped Holley.

Too small really is a relative term. My circle track engine makes 463hp on 500cfm of carb. Is it restricted? Hell yes and it can make more with a larger 4bbl on it.

Personally, you'll never find a carter carb (eddy carb) on one of my engines. I've run them and they were ok.. Never ran or performed like a well prepped Holley.

Agree. Get a 650dp, holley/quick fuel with replaceable air bleeds, pvcr, ifr, and emulsion bleeds. If you tune it correctly the throttle response will put you in your seat.

Agree. Get a 650dp, holley/quick fuel with replaceable air bleeds, pvcr, ifr, and emulsion bleeds. If you tune it correctly the throttle response will put you in your seat.

Thanks guys gives me more to think about. Im a bit of a carb rookie so this helps. My understanding is that Eddy was a little better for street consistency and Holley better for strip / power while also being a little temperamental to get adjusted (generally speaking). That had me leaning more towards another Eddy, but having a wide band might make getting the Holley down easier.

Like I said this will be a 95% street car, taking it to work involves either heavy LA traffic or long periods at highway speed on my 60 mile round trip commute.

I will research some QF/ Holley carbs based on your recommendations, thanks!

i run a holley 770 street avenger on 99 magnum should be more then enough. im looking to go with a QF ss 850 for my 408 stroker. willing to possible sell my 770.

I ran a similar combo
I ran 4 different carbs on it
A TQ, a 600Vsec, a 750Vsec, and a 750DP for the win! I had them , so I tried them. I really really liked the TQ, but it wouldn't fit on the AG with adapter under my hood, And I really wanted to ditch the Weand Excelerator.And not cut the hood.
Three years later, I cut the stinking hood. Best thing I ever did. Well, no marriage was better,at one time,lol.

I also really really liked that size of cam.

first off I know this is like asking "whats the best oil," everyone has a preference.

Heres my car specs:

Mostly street driven 72 scamp, full weight, AC.
Currently running Eddy 1406
Rebuilt 99 360 magnum
HEI ignition, stock mopar distributor (parts store type HEI)
LA air gap intake
EQ heads with light bowl work and light shave
9.6:1ish compression
stock mag pistons/crank/rods
Hughes cam 224/226/110
1.6 adjustable roller rockers
Dougs headers, 2.5" exhaust
3:55 SG 8 3/4
2200 stall, 904

I will be mostly street driving this, but occasional strip use and suspension is set up for handling so there will be some turns carved up.

I have the 1406 650cfm on there, it runs ok but its the carb from the 318 that came out and wondering if I am better off with something different. Mostly I want to get rid of the electric choke since it never gets too cold here. The couple times I have gotten into the secondaries since break in I have gotten a bog so it definitely needs some tuning as is, I have an Innovate wide band O2 I will be hooking up shortly to aid in tuning once the motor is broken in.

I have been eyeing the new AVS2 which seems awesome, but wondering if I go for the 650cfm, or the 800cfm? Im open to any suggestions, want to see what everyone thinks.

View attachment 1715134078
I’ll be very honest with you in the the power difference is only a few HP between a 600 & a 750. The throttle response (& to a small degree, mileage) is in favor of the smaller carb.

First of all, if you have a 1406, you have a 600cfm carb, not 650.
The Ede 600 actually works very well. Are you leaving some power on the table ?
Probably on the top end. But how often are you going to be on the very top end of your car, other than the track ? Street light to street light, the Ede 600 has great signal, and works very good.
My carb choice for you would be the Ede 1806 Thunder Series 650 manual choke. I run this on my mild 360, and absolutely love it. I think for what you are doing with your car, you will be hard pressed to find a better all around carb.

Before heading to Carb changes I'd make sure the ignition profile for initial and total is right. That can make a huge difference in how the car runs and may make the carb be more to your performance liking.

That said, I like carbs on the larger CFM side than most...

With that camshaft, I'd expect at least 15* initial timing to be close to correct.

Before heading to Carb changes I'd make sure the ignition profile for initial and total is right. That can make a huge difference in how the car runs and may make the carb be more to your performance liking.

With that camshaft, I'd expect at least 15* initial timing to be close to correct.
OH! Big like!!!
I have a Hyd. roller of about the same duration and run at 18. I could push it further....
I also suggest that a tweak to maximize the timing and carb together could very well be very beneficial.

Thanks guys gives me more to think about. Im a bit of a carb rookie so this helps. My understanding is that Eddy was a little better for street consistency and Holley better for strip / power while also being a little temperamental to get adjusted (generally speaking). That had me leaning more towards another Eddy, but having a wide band might make getting the Holley down easier.

Like I said this will be a 95% street car, taking it to work involves either heavy LA traffic or long periods at highway speed on my 60 mile round trip commute.

I will research some QF/ Holley carbs based on your recommendations, thanks!

Most people when getting started will fall into some of these myths you've been lead to believe. Eddy carbs (carter) are not more consistent or streetable. vacuum secondary's are better for the street. etc.

Holley's or knockoffs, especially the HP series type, often come close right out of the box. They are very easy to tune. They are also very easy to have tuned if you don't have the ability. My last 2 needed some screwdriver adjustments and were ready to roll. I had one that needed a minor jet change.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to be pretty open in my search thanks to the input here.

Yup Ignition is dialed. Its around 15 / 34 if I remember right. The current carb is running ok, I just don't know how old it is or who's been in there (Im not the original purchaser). Also don't need the electric choke. The current 1406 isn't "bad" per se, just wondering what else is out there and opinions if id be better off with something else.

the carb you have is fine..don't waste your money. Take it apart,
jet it and adjust it for your combination.They are very simple and
infinitely adjustable! I like theses carbs.
A complete manual for disassembly and tuning is available on the
Edelbrock web site.

My car is similar to yours and I have a Edelbrock 650 AVS and it works well. It has a tendency to percolate the fuel after engine shutoff.
I want to reinstall my AC system and was wondering which compressor your using? Got any close up pics?

@bobscuda67 Use the thick gasket to stop the perculation of the fuel. Go over your cooling system as well. Make it top notch.

You can use the Magnums A/C pump but you’ll need someone to make fittings to connect the new to the old.

My car is similar to yours and I have a Edelbrock 650 AVS and it works well. It has a tendency to percolate the fuel after engine shutoff.
I want to reinstall my AC system and was wondering which compressor your using? Got any close up pics?

For the AC compressor its a newer sanden unit. Not sure where it came from because I didn't purchase it originally, but the brackets and such look like bouchillon I would guess the compressor came from there as well. Looks like the original setup otherwise (my car had factory AC). When I did the 360 swap I had to get a diff alternator bracket and mess with the spacing a bit to get the belt alignment perfect.

I will say this, it definitely blows ice cold. Its better than most newer cars to be honest.

Heres some photos of it on the old 318 I pulled out. You can check out the build thread I put up too for more photos: Magnum swapping the 72 Scamp!

IMG_2812.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG
IMG_2839.jpg

-
Back