Carbon fiber driveshaft

-
Just look at/ask how for a new ZR1 corvette. That's what their driveshaft is made out of.

vettes use a Al shaft torque tube, in the aftermarket there is CF made to replace the al, but the issues are the flex coupler with the vettes.

the Al or Stl weld yokes are machined for a specifc fit and a particular 3m epoxy is used to join the CF tube to the weld yokes.

Don't buy that, let someone else buy it

As long as carbon fiber is lighter than steel and twice as strong, besides an issue or two, there are a lot more issues with steel ones

Modern helicopters run a carbon fiber driveshaft to the tail rotors.
But they are about 200K each.
Fiber density and resin system is the key, plus they are autoclave cured.

Damn, that one Drive shaft fits tons of spam, err vehicles.Even motorcycles

As well as...challAngers, blower,supercharger and turbo!

New gt500 has a cf driveshaft

Only the shelby gt500 has the dual rzeppa CF shaft, and don't disable the speed governor off the other models before seeing your competent local driveline shop in the other mustangs or you'll be very sorry.

A few cars have factory CF shafts, even a few non sport cars

Modern helicopters run a carbon fiber driveshaft to the tail rotors.
But they are about 200K each.
Fiber density and resin system is the key, plus they are autoclave cured.

Helo's used to use AL tail rotor shafts, it's where the idea came from to use them in cars years ago, 1st in race cars and then the factory caught on.

And it is very important where that CF tube is made and how. . .

CM is not light

I agree, but lighter then stock shafts, or should be? Most here don't need anything special is what i was getting at. If i was having one built for a street/strip car, that's probably as far as i'd go. A good alum. shaft is fine, i used one in a Fox body, but it was readily available.

Helo's used to use AL tail rotor shafts, it's where the idea came from to use them in cars years ago, 1st in race cars and then the factory caught on.

And it is very important where that CF tube is made and how. . .

I dont know how much I can say, but carbon frame helo's, carbon skinned helo's have a CF tail rotor driveshaft, along with CF rotors.

We are not talking about commercial helo's.

I agree, but lighter then stock shafts, or should be? Most here don't need anything special is what i was getting at. If i was having one built for a street/strip car, that's probably as far as i'd go. A good alum. shaft is fine, i used one in a Fox body, but it was readily available.

you need a gram scale for the difference in weight between dom and cm.

Both styles can, say 080 dom vs 080 cm in strength is again about the same as it's weight difference.
AL and CF are the only true performance advantages

-
Back